Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2009 HOF Class

Re: 2009 HOF Class

Quote Originally Posted by chakes89 View Post
    He didn't reach any of the milestones his position almost demands in regards to getting into the Hall of Fame
    So if people like Thomas and Thome are padding their numbers by DHing in the AL, then those people are more deserving of a HOF spot? I mean, Bagwell was definitely a more complete player than the 500 HR club member Jim Thome.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    So if people like Thomas and Thome are padding their numbers by DHing in the AL, then those people are more deserving of a HOF spot? I mean, Bagwell was definitely a more complete player than the 500 HR club member Jim Thome.
    But those players kept playing and kept adding to their numbers, something Bagwell did not do. He played his 15 seasons or whatever and was done. I don't think he will get in.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

I've always liked Thome. I speak with thomecollector almost daily. We had a conversation yesterday about this. My stance is if Thome does not reach 600 HR, he's in maybe on 2nd or 3rd try based on numbers AND his contributions on and off the field. Thome is well liked and respected in either area and has since his early days always held charitable events etc. 600+ HRS and he's a lock. Drawback on Thome is he's always played for crap clubs, small market, and he's an under the radar guy. The way baseball is with competition - numbers are what keeps him in a lineup, not his smile.

When it comes to HOF election, it's numbers first, and player contributions on/off field thereafter. I'm personally unfamiliar with Bagwell so can't comment. Regarding Ozzie Smith, I never thought he was a Hall of Famer. All glove no hit, but that is me. Regarding Rice, he's in because he exhausted his reg. tries. Now that he is in, eventually Dawson will follow. Sure thing.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

I hope Dawson gets in

It will make a potential impending purchase of mine go up in value slightly
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by skyking26 View Post
    I've always liked Thome. I speak with thomecollector almost daily. We had a conversation yesterday about this. My stance is if Thome does not reach 600 HR, he's in maybe on 2nd or 3rd try based on numbers AND his contributions on and off the field. Thome is well liked and respected in either area and has since his early days always held charitable events etc. 600+ HRS and he's a lock. Drawback on Thome is he's always played for crap clubs, small market, and he's an under the radar guy. The way baseball is with competition - numbers are what keeps him in a lineup, not his smile.

When it comes to HOF election, it's numbers first, and player contributions on/off field thereafter. I'm personally unfamiliar with Bagwell so can't comment. Regarding Ozzie Smith, I never thought he was a Hall of Famer. All glove no hit, but that is me. Regarding Rice, he's in because he exhausted his reg. tries. Now that he is in, eventually Dawson will follow. Sure thing.
    The one thing I think Thomas has going for him, is that for awhile he was the most feared hitter in the league. Those 93 and 94 numbers are just amazing, didn't he have an OBP above .480

Rice should pave the way for Dawson. May take time, but now it is only right as Dawson's numbers are better. Look at the gold gloves too. MVP. Dawson is HOF no doubt if Rice gets in. Dawson had misfortune like Thome of playing for poor clubs...........
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,

Class of 2010 Candidates

Alomar
    Larkin
    Edgar M.
    Crime Dog

Dawson

Interesting group, let the DH talk begin for Edgar.

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    Don't even get me started on Ozzie, maybe one of the most overrated players of all time. Same amount of hits, but the avg. obp. and home runs are not even close to Larkin. Ozzie got in because of his glove, and Larkin was right behind Ozzie with the glove. Larkin has to be in.
    Ozzie in his defensive prime vs. Larkin in his prime - I'm taking Ozzie.
    Oz was also on three world series teams in the 80's...and won't even talk about the Gold Gloves.

No argument about the offense - Larkin was a better hitter hands down.

The thing about OZ is - he was the guy in the 1980's who was the top vote getter AS type. He was the guy who won games with his glove, and could bring a stadium to it's feet with a play every night. His HOF nod was simply for the hustle and drama.

I would not have voted for OZ to be in the Hall of Fame. I think that it's an all-around nod to great players who had ALL of the tools or most of them. Baseball was different in the 80's and late 70's...it was a speed era, no power really to speak of but the occasional 40 HR season. But he has his fans...and a few critics

Ozzie was 2nd in MVP voting in 1987 with ZERO homers and 75 RBI - He barely got to .300 with the BA too...only .303. That's nutty...but so were the 80's.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by AWA85 View Post
    The one thing I think Thomas has going for him, is that for awhile he was the most feared hitter in the league. Those 93 and 94 numbers are just amazing, didn't he have an OBP above .480
    We weren't talking about Frank Thomas, but his numbers are fantastic as well...
    ROBERT KOPPEL

Dave- first off congrats on the baby, just read in another thread

I agree Ozzie was ahead of Larkin in the defensive side, thing is Larkin was a very good defender who wasn't miles behind Ozzie though. Did not realize that 2nd in MVP voting, pretty funny and I agree with you, fan support can go a long way.