Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: OT: Manny Ramirez: 'No one wants to sign me'

Quote Originally Posted by FastLane80 View Post
    I think Manny will do well for a year and MAYBE two. What happened in LA this past year was awesome but I don't think lightning will strike twice. It seemed like he was auditioning for a 2009 contract and what a performance it was. In any other economy, he'd get what he's asking for but in this new day and age of 1 year deals, this may have been his last chance wirth the Dodgers. I'm sorry but I think I'd rather have Dunn and Hudson and maybe dangle DeWitt as trade bait for Peavy...I know it's a long shot but it's along the line of what the Padres were asking for. Pierre is also looking to get traded if he's on the bench so that may also be another pitcher or 2. The rest of the west has stepped up with their rotations and the Dodgers need to look at doing the same by letting Manny go to the unemployment line.
    I couldn't disagree more.....but you are certainly entitled to your say.

The biggest missing ingredient in the Dodger line up.......is Manny.

I can't say the Dodgers would SUCK without him, because they have a SOLID core group of young players that should only get better.

And after you STOP all this back and forth nonsense and GET him signed, THEN you can go after your much-needed pitching......You'll also know what funds you have available to get it!!

But without the threat of Manny in their line-up, Loney, Ethier, Martin, DeWitt, they just will NOT see the strikes like they WILL if Manny is batting third. He makes everyone on the TEAM better by his presence.

I mean......I can't believe I'm sitting here standing up for this guy?

He's got the third most hits in MAJOR LEAGUE POST SEASON HISTORY??

He's got the 2nd most RBI in MAJOR LEAGUE POST SEASON HISTORY??

He's #1...#1... in HOME RUNS in MAJOR LEAGUE POST SEASON HISTORY??

His career batting average is .313??

He's hit 527 home runs......and COUNTING!!!!

He will end up in the top 10 of EVERY OFFENSIVE CATEGORY there is in MLB history by the time he's done (with maybe the exception of batting average).....

WHY ARE WE HAVING THIS DISCUSSION???

This guy has a STICK.......and he can DO DAMAGE to ANYONE WITH IT BETTER THAN ALMOST ANY RIGHT HANDER THE GAME HAS EVER SEEN!!?

If the Dodgers don't get off their duffs and SIGN this guy.....if they F&%K UP and let him get snagged by a desperate last minute offer from say a loser organization like the METS or GIANTS.......then you can kiss it ALL goodbye McCourts. Your season will be a tragedy....attendance dismal.

Manny will NOT TURN against the team that SIGN'S HIM.....HE IS NOW PLAYING FOR HIS LEGACY......not another CONTRACT.

Common sense people.......c'mon! THINK about it. Is Manny, upon obtaining his last multi-year big $$$ contract going to ROLL OVER and play dead? Is THAT the message he wants to send to the BBWAA who will be voting on his Enshrinement into the Hall of FAME in just a few short years after he hangs em up?

I think not. I think Manny has more self respect than that.

And I KNOW Manny has higher inspirations than that.

He just wants his due. He KNOWS he'll end up as one of the greatest to ever play this fabulous game. And in the free markets we have set up, no MATTER what the economy is in the short term......he's earned it. HE CAN BACK IT UP. He can make a franchise RICH beyond their wildest dreams.

Manny.......and "choke".......JUST DON'T EXIST in the same world.

Can you say that about .........A-Rod?

PAY HIM the number already established, and give him three years DODGERS......or I swear to GOD you will have something QUITE A BIT WORSE on your hands than a "curse" from a Babe, or a goat.....or anything like that.

You'll have an empty stadium watching the hapless powerless Dodgers without their superstar inspirational leader. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    I'm sorry, I just don't get it?

skyking26, I absolutely love and respect your posts, but I just don't understand all the Manny hatred.

"I'd be done with his attitude and the cancer he brings with him."

Let me tell you, what I saw first hand for three months last year was an attitude of "WIN" that electrified the Dodgers SO MUCH SO, it darn near carried them straight to the World Series. For Christ sake, they LOST to the eventual World Series winners? Where does that leave them?? To lose Manny at this point, they just wouldn't recover.

Signing Dunn to replace Manny is laughable. The guy strikes out 200+ times a season.......Hell, we just got rid of a player like that, and Andruw Jones to the best of my knowledge isn't having anybody knock on his door.....

And now, with a little play-off experience under their belts, Loney, Russell, Ethier, DeWitt.....these youngsters NEED an elite veteran like Manny to pick them up when they falter. The "cancer" Manny brought was the "GOLDEN ELIXER" that lifted this team. You cannot consider the "mess" that happened in Boston, that's a whole other chapter, and it's OVER.

Listen, I understand the hatred and anger about Manny and his "money wants".....but I stand by my belief.....compared to other contracts, and based on past performance, the dude DESERVES what he is looking for.... HE CAN BACK IT UP......AND HAS BACKED IT UP, consistently.

If the Dodgers don't sign him, they will be the losers.....the money will flow in, Los Angeles Dodger management......just take care of it from your end and SIGN HIM....or your fan base will dissolve faster than two Alka-Seltzer's dropped in a glass of boiling water........

I'll leave it at this.......

In late September, in a game against FIRST PLACE Arizona, with their ACE Brandon Webb on the mound......in a ZERO-ZERO game......and the game that would give sole posession of FIRST PLACE to the DODGERS if they won.....Manny stepped up to the plate with runners on first and second. I was there.....the crowd was screaming "MANNY.....MANNY....MANNY"

He had struck out with bases loaded in the third. This time......CRACK!!!

He hit a three run homer to right.....He then got up in the 6th and knocked in two more.

The Arizona Diamonds never recovered....and the Dodgers never relinguished first place for the rest of the season.

You want to let this guy get away, Los Angeles???
    It's been written here many times. Written about how bad Manny wanted out of Boston, said he was hurt, and then when he got the trade he wanted he was revived with LA and auditioning for what he thought was the payday of his life. I'm on board with that. We all know you are not...and you know what - it's a free country. I like your devotion to your guy, I just do not agree with it, and that is ok.

I'll stand by what Ken Rosenthal said today, you could sign Dunn, Wolf, and Hudson for less money. I know I'd do it. Like he said, LA backs out and that leaves SF the only club that would likely pay this guy anything.

I hope it goes that way!
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
    No, just send him 30 miles down the Freeway
    God, that would just make me sick.......Vlady and Manny???

That's the closest thing to Ruth and Gehrig I can think of......

CAMAROKIDS......

You made the argument, so here's the other side of it.....

LOOK at David Ortiz's numbers AFTER MANNY LEFT.

They were so dismal, he almost lost his starting place on the team.

The hitters around Manny were BETTER when he was there because the pitchers pitch AROUND Manny. Someone has to get strikes? You can't pitch around the WHOLE team? Pick your poison......who do you pitch to?

The opposing teams chose to pitch around Manny.....and he still lit then up. The batters before and after him were the recipient of better pitches because Manny is such a wicked hitter.

That is EXACTLY what happened when he went to the Dodgers.....he elevated the WHOLE team, and the batters right before him, and right after him, had a SERIOUS jump in their averages. Don't believe me? Just go look at Jeff Kent's and Andre Ethier's numbers pre-Manny, and after Manny arrived. It was SPOOKY what happened.

We need to keep the house HAUNTED in L.A. SIGN HIM COLLETTI !!!!!!!

MLB network just reported that Ramirez turned down a one year, 25 Million offer from the Dodgers.......

Screw you Manny...

Suicide,

You do have a point about Manny being pitched around.

The Sox came pretty close to making to the WS in 2008 with out him.

My point I am trying to make is MR is only one player. Him signing with the Dodgers or anyone else does NOT guarantee a World Series Championship.

I still I don't think MR is worth 25 Million for a season, or anyone else!

But that is another thread.....

Peace!
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    MLB network just reported that Ramirez turned down a one year, 25 Million offer from the Dodgers.......

Screw you Manny...
    That seems to me to be a very fair offer. I don't get Manny. Manny being Manny?
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    That seems to me to be a very fair offer. I don't get Manny. Manny being Manny?
    Manny being stupid

A big part of Ortiz' #s slipping was that he played hurt for a good portion of last year(wrist).
    Manny begged Boston to waive 2 20 million dollar team options and that was part of the agreement when he went to the Dodgers. Those were also options that he and his agent insisted on when he signed his original deal with the Sox.
    Him being offered only 1 year at 25 million speaks volumes as to what some teams think of his antics on his way out of Boston, his agent misreading the market for him(thought he could get a multiyear deal for 100 mil)and the economy dropping.
    If I remember correctly, at the start of free agency the Dodgers offered him a 2 year deal for 45 mil- I wonder why it's now down to a 1 year offer???

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    Manny being stupid

Yes.

Manny being greedy too.

Hey Manny how many folks in California unemployed would love to earn even 1% of what the Dodgers just offered you!
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.