Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: OT: Favorite Sports Quotes or Stories

Yesterday provided this great line which I highlighted in red:

Washington Nationals president Stan Kasten confirmed in a conference call on Wednesday that shortstop Esmailyn Gonzalez, one of the best prospects in the organization, falsified his name and age.

Gonzalez's real name is Carlos Alvarez Daniel Lugo and he is 23 years old. The Nationals had listed him as 19. SI.com was the first to report the story late Tuesday night.

Kasten didn't know what to call Gonzalez when he talked to the media, so he referred to him as the "player to be named later."
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Umpire Bill Klem, responding to the protests of a rookie pitcher, facing the great Rogers Hornsby, about a couple of called balls: "Son, when you pitch a strike, Mr. Hornsby will let you know."

"Half of the plate belongs to the batter and half of it belongs to me. I just don't let the batter know which half is mine. -Don Drysdale.

Willie Stargell on Koufax: "Trying to hit Sandy Koufax was like trying to drink coffee with a fork".

Koufax on pitching: "I became a good pitcher when I stopped trying to make them miss the ball and started trying to make them hit it."
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Michael Ray Richardson

REPORTER: What do you think is happening to the team?
    RICHARDSON: The ship be sinking.
    REPORTER: How far can it sink?
    RICHARDSON: Sky's the limit.

Banned

A few more qoutes I thought were pretty good/funny

What does a mama bear on the pill have in common with the World Series? No cubs.
    -- Harry Caray

Sandy's fastball was so fast, some batters would start to swing as he was on his way to the mound.
    -- Jim Murray

During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball.
    -- Mickey Mantle

You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all.
    -- Earl Weaver

This one I thought was perfect for all of the members here on the forum
    A baseball fan has the digestive apparatus of a billy goat. He can, and does, devour any set of diamond statistics with insatiable appetite and then nuzzles hungrily for more.
    -- Arthur Daley

MY FAVORITE QOUTE OF ALL TIME

WHY IS IT CALLED A WORLD SERIES? IF IT IS ALWAYS PLAYED IN THE BRONX

LOL LOL LOL

Former pitcher Joe Magrane was on MLB the other night and did a Haray Caray impression where Caray said "That guy couldnt hit water if he fell out of the boat!"

During the 1996-97 NHL Season after the Av's had won the Cup their 1st year in Denver (giving G Patrick Roy his 2nd Ring), the Av's got crushed by the Blackhawks in Chicago.

After the game in interviews, J Roenick told reporters. "I left Roy's jock hanging in the rafters tonight."

When asked about the comment later, Roy replied, "I'm sorry, what did Roenick say? I had my ears plugged with my two Stanley Cup rings."

These two both came from my ALL TIME favorite player - Nolan Ryan - during his speech at the Weld County Friends of Baseball Breakfast last February in Greeley, CO....

1st, Nolan was telling a story about Gene Autry and an event they had attended together during Nolan's time with the Angels... there was an open bar and apparently Gene didn't hold his liquor well (much to Ms Autry's chagrin)... anyway, when Gene got to the micrphone, he looked out at the audience and said, "My. It looks like a garden out there. Looka t all the beautiful Roses... but like with any garden, there are certainly some Weeds as well. Don't look around - you know who you are."

2nd was a story about the Angels playing the Tigers in a game Nolan was pitching and the inning before, the Tigers pitcher had beaned one of the Angels players... in the next half inning, Norm Cash was the lead off hitter - and according to Nolan, one of his very dear friends - and before Nolan threw the 1st pitch, Norm stepped out of the box and told the catcher, "Please go remind Nolan that I didn't make the call to hit your guy... and I didn't throw the pitch that hit him." So, the catcher calls time and runs out to the mound... he tells Nolan what Norm had said. Nolan says he smiled and told his catcher, "Please tell Norm - I'm Sorry." And with that, Nolan siad he drilled Norm in the ribs - not full speed of course - and that Norm dropped to the ground, crawled to the dugout and told the Manager, "I'm done." , crawled down the dugout steps and disappeared into the locker room.

I read a good Drysdale story awhile back. He was pitching against the Phillies' Robin Roberts, and after Drysdale hit a batter, the Phils' Manager ordered Roberts to knock Drysdale down the next time he came to bat. Roberts demurred, so the Manager sent in Turk Farrell, whom he knew would have no reservations about doing it.

Farrell knocked Drysdale down, as instructed, but on a subsequent pitch, Drysdale managed to get his bat on the ball and made it safely to second. Not content with that, Drysdale taunted Farrell, saying, "There's your knock-down pitch!" A moment later, Farrell spun and made a pickoff throw to second, with no fielder there covering the bag, and the ball just happening to hit Drysdale in the thigh...to which Farrell added, "There's your two base hit!"