Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Frustrations of collecting.

I would just like to vent quick about the whole Ebay or Paypal FEES plus funds being held for no reason plus outrageous shipping costs plus UPS delivering goods in damaged condition or USPS not being allowed to leave a package b/c I have a job and can't sign for it and then having to leave work early and go across town and walk a mile to deal with the a-holes at the post office.

Add that into the time and energy involved with looking for items I'm actually after and then worrying if they're legit game-used... it makes the whole process tough to continue sometimes!

That's all.

I share your frustrations looking for lesser known players. I collect game used items of Jeremy Affeldt, Kevin Seitzer, Justin Huber, and Chad Durbin - items hardly ever come up for auction on them. Occasionally I step outside those player collections just to satisfy my urge to pick up a new game used item....but I still mainly stick with current/past Royals players.

Nick

During the months and even years when I don't see a bat that fits into my collection, I sock away a few extra dollars each month so that I can buy the bats when they appear. To keep from getting bored, I look at my current collection and read a book.

Quote Originally Posted by ironmanfan View Post
    Gingi.....While Gruber never played for the Orioles (was with AAA Rochester that year), this is a jersey that you could probably add to your collection for an affordable price..

http://www.mastronet.com/index.cfm?a...t&CurrentRow=1

You know, I saw another Orioles Gruber a year or so back minus the patches and I was intrigued. However, since he played the whole season with Rochester, is this a game issued jersey? Mears claims there is use but Baseball-almanac.com lists him as retired after his stint with the California Angels in 1993.

Another collector on the board mentioned he knew Kelly down in Florida. Could you ask him if he ever actually played in the shirt or for the Orioles? Thanks guys, I feel better already!

I would imagine it would be a "game issued" shirt as he was never recalled by the Orioles during that campaign.....I saw Kelly play with Rochester that summer in Scranton (signed my program).

I too feel the frustrations of not being able to find jerseys from the few local guys I collect. They just don't seem to come around much at all, and when they do I somehow miss out on alot of them. Part of that is trying to keep myself on a budget (I have the same bad luck as Skyking there). Seems to be that when something I have been waiting for comes up, it always has some problems or questions and then seems to still go very high.

My main frustration is when my dutch takes over and I miss out on an item that I really wanted because it was not a good enough "deal". There are a few things that I still kick myself over.

The best way to avoid getting too frustrated is to look at what you have found or achieved and try to focus on that rather than the negative. It will all come around eventually.

I collect my favorite Cardinals players from 1983-now. The most expensive bats are already on my walls...but I still need a Juan Encarnacion Cards bat.

Funny thing is, I've owned 3 of them at some point.

When I get stuck with not finding what I want/need for my collection, I try to buy bats of players I already have. I compare them and sometimes, I end up with an 'upgrade', which is good.

I also try to practice my bat repair technique on broken ones. I would guess that over the past two years, I've fixed 20 or so bats - and am good enough now that I could probably start a business if I thought there was a market in my city.

There are lots of things you can do to pass the time...try buying some cheaper bats and then 'flip' or trade them to others who might not have seen them. Never hurts to have a few trade items in your collection.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dave -

I agree with the idea of having trade stuff in the collection...

A prime example (or two or three) for me are my GU Hats from Garrett Atkins, Vinny Castilla and Andres Galarraga.

I didn't really need or want any of them for my collection, but the prices at the time were too good to pass up. Both the Castilla and the Galarraga are DUAL signed (beneath the bill and on top of the bill) and the Atkins is not signed (yet! - I'm off to ST in March)... all three have LOAs from the Rox (all thought the Galarraga is a scanned copy - the original was one of the casualties of my basement flood a few years back)

I'm in no big hurry to move them, but they are definately available - for sale or trade if I find something I'm looking for...

- Chris

I guess the opposite problem of collecting too narrowly would be when you find yourself collecting too broadly - collecting, as I have, virtually anything from a certain team that becomes available, sometimes even when you already have one exactly like it. The frustration comes from barely having the time to catalog the (mostly, in my case) bats, let alone having the time or space to display them. At times, I have to admit, I feel more like a hoarder than a collector. I have nobody to blame but myself, of course - I just need to get a grip and take more time to focus on and enjoy what I've already collected, and not worry so much if I miss an auction every once in awhile.

He writes, after just winning three more bats on eBay...

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post
    I just need to get a grip and take more time to focus on and enjoy what I've already collected, and not worry so much if I miss an auction every once in awhile.

He writes, after just winning three more bats on eBay...
    Hahaha... I feel your pain... actually the only auctions that really set me off when I miss them are for cards for a few sets I am working that only show up once in a blue moon...