Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Wood bats VS. Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain.

Seven silver swans swam silently seaward.
    What do rhymes and alliterations have to do with anything?
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Once is too much. I don't have the time to pull out a bunch of articles, but I remember hearing a bunch of incidents in the past with people getting hurt by flying splinters of wood. I know there are efforts to address this, but I would really like to know how this is going to be eliminated.
    Les -

I'm 45 and I LOVE the game and the TRADITION. I don't want to see MLB do what the NHL did and put NETS all the way down the baselines because people are affraid of Foul Balls and Broken Bats. That's why EVERY Major League ticket states (and I quote from the back of my Rox Opening Day ticket for 2009):

"Holder of this ticket assumes all risks and dangers of personal injury and other hazards arising from, or related to, the event for which the ticket is issued, whether occurring prior to, during or after the event/performance, including but not limited to flying objects or other hazards related to the event/performance."

As far as 'efforts to eliminate this'? I can't say I ever seen a Major Leaguer hurt by a broken bat - other than Tulo slamming his bat down last year and gashing his hand open when it split in half in his hand.

As far as the fans in the stands - if you aren't able - or don't want to pay attention to the action on the field, then you shouldn't sit so close... like the guys I see at every Rox game with the newspaper up in front of their face while the game is going on - sitting in the front row! Those are the guys who need to be hit by a foul ball ripping through their papers! If you don't want to pay attention to the game, go home or go back to work!

I have been struck by line drives while pitching in non-competitive softball, and I do know that it hurts. But perhaps I am not in a position to comment having not played college baseball or softball (career cut short - a story for another day).
    Getting hit by a Line Drive with a Softball and a Line Drive with a baseball are two totally different things... you are comparing Apples to Oranges here.

Just my .02

- Chris

The chair is against the wall

John has a long mustache

So - maybe I'm not experienced with aluminum vs. wood. But I don't understand a LOT about a LOT of different things. Care to clarify here or in email?
    Frik.......

All I am saying is you seem to take up arguments here...........to argue. They are not based on what......well, to be frank, everyone already knows by common sense.

Please, I am not trying to belittle you, or pick on you in any way. It's just obvious that your arguments are generally baseless. They start out as opinions, and quickly turninto full-fledge arguments.

Like your last comment rant about BigTruck and the "sexist" stuff. Look, if you can't figure out that females can't play MLB and be GOOD enough to make it......then NONE of us here can help you.

It's a genetic thing, Frik. Women can't perform the strength requirements to become a pro baseball player......Hell, Frik, MOST MEN can't do it. It's NOT just about talent....it's a genetic thing.

So if you want to tangle up "women in baseball" with "Aluminum bats", you're already going down down the wrong path. WHY? Because you have eliminated the most overwhelming PART of the equation to MAKE an argument based on common sense.......the "strength" factor.

Am I making sense to you? I hope so. Peace.....I want you to know you are as welcome to state your opinions as anyone.....but just try to be a little more fully equipped in substance when you take a stand, because it becomes a bit exasperating to try to get you to see the other side, when sometimes it's just so obvious.

Aluminum is far too dangerous for professional baseball

As far as the "they use it in college" argument, how many guys built like Albert Pujols, David Ortz and Adam Dunn do you see playing college baseball?

Comparing college players to professionals is like comparing Apples to Oranges

Comparing College Baseball to MILB/MLB is just absurd
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Les -

As far as 'efforts to eliminate this'? I can't say I ever seen a Major Leaguer hurt by a broken bat - other than Tulo slamming his bat down last year and gashing his hand open when it split in half in his hand.

- Chris
    There was a coach I believe that got a hunk of bat into his leg after it shattered. These instances are super rare though. The damage that would be inflicted by a flying aluminum bat is something that I dont want to witness.

John has a long mustache
    Doesn't negate the veracity of anything I've already said.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

There was a coach I believe that got a hunk of bat into his leg after it shattered. These instances are super rare though. The damage that would be inflicted by a flying aluminum bat is something that I dont want to witness.
    Especially those crap Two-Piece Aluminum bats
    I collect Jay Bruce and Cincinnati Reds Minor League stuff

My email address: hakes89@gmail.com

xpress34......

In the 70's, Steve Yeager, while catching for the Dodgers had a broken splintered bat spear him in the neck, missing his jugular by......1/8"

That brought about the development of the piece that he wore that "hung down" from the bottom of the face mask, which was designed to protect the neck.

WAIT.......I mean it was an ALUMINUM bat that splintered!!!

John has a long mustache
    WOLVERINES!!!!!!