Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Re: March Pick Ups.......

Some recent and not so recent pick ups from this past season.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Banned

I just picked these items up today. The bat is a un-cracked Angel Salome signed game used bat from 2008 season and one of his nameplates from his locker. The jerseys are all from Carlos Villanueva when he was in the minor leagues. They are 2005 Brevard County Manatees, 2006 Huntsville Stars, and a 2007 Nasville Sounds jersey. All the jerseys are signed by Carlos.

Once Mastro packages them, here are my pieces. I was stoked when my beloved Canucks finally got a Basketball team to share a building with but somehow Basketball just didn't work in the Pacific Northwest. I was looking for a cheap Grizz jersey that said Vancouver and this Alternate fit the bill!

Those of you that have read about why I am a huge Shawn Camp Fan will know why this jersey for $50 was a must have:

Finally, after re-reading the Mears letter more closely, I think this may be the very last MLB jersey Kelly Gruber ever wore. It's from 1997 Spring Training and the patches alone were a major sell job. Since I'll never afford a Blue Jays version, this was a pickup that made me happy.

Clicking on any picture will send you to my Webshots page. Enjoy.

tigerhidden vbmenu_register("postmenu_128339", true);

Want to sell the Blum?

gsurwillo@msn.com

Here are a couple I added to my Mike Cameron bat collection. A 2001 Rawlings with tons of use & a 2007 Pink Mother's Day bat.

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    ..Finally, after re-reading the Mears letter more closely, I think this may be the very last MLB jersey Kelly Gruber ever wore. It's from 1997 Spring Training and the patches alone were a major sell job. Since I'll never afford a Blue Jays version, this was a pickup that made me happy.
    gruber did indeed attend spring training with the orioles in '97:

how did mears or you figure out that the orioles wore their game jerseys in spring training and not their BP shirts as most teams do?:

there are several photos of the orioles playing in ST games in '97 on getty and in all of them they're wearing their BP shirts.

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    gruber did indeed attend spring training with the orioles in '97:

how did mears or you figure out that the orioles wore their game jerseys in spring training and not their BP shirts as most teams do?:

there are several photos of the orioles playing in ST games in '97 on getty and in all of them they're wearing their BP shirts.

rudy.
    The only time I can recall the Orioles of the 1990s wearing conventional ROAD jerseys during Spring Training was the game in Cuba in 1999. They've only been wearing home jerseys for Spring Training games for the last couple of seasons.

Mark
    bigtime39@aol.com

Banned

I just added two more Bobby Jenks game used jerseys to the collection.
    2002 Travelers and a 2002 Quakes jersey. Both jerseys signed with real good use.

Banned

I just received these 2 Alcides Escobar game used bats today from GUU member zookerman182. The Sam bat is un-cracked and is signed by him. The Hoosier bat is cracked and shows geat game use, ESKY is his nick name.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post

rudy.
    Great question Rudy. Since I saw Mears listed it as such, I have started to research more closely. I not only don't see a gray jersey in any spring games but I don't see the Baltimore 200 patch either. Looking over the team, backup catcher Charlie Greene wore #34 for 5 games in 1997. Mark Smith, a utility outfielder wore #34 for 3 games in 1994, 37 games in 1995 and 27 games in 1996. Both men had similar builds so they may have been responsible for the minor wear. The O's in theory might have added Gruber's nameplate to one of the previous players shirts for him to use in the regular season, logically assuming he would be a call-up. After all, Kelly was a 2 time World Series Champ and quality clubhouse veteran presence, but alas, it never happened.

I will have to look closely for any signs of nameplate/number changes. Unless someone has proof in the form of photographic evidence that the Orioles wore their Grays game jerseys during the 1997 Spring Training season, I am going to assume this is a game issued, 2 patched 1997 Orioles jerseys prepared by the O's but not worn by Kelly Gruber if he was called up from Rochester. Still a nice shirt for $50