Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees 2009

Re: Yankees 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
    Wang was fine until the HR to Choo. He just got shook up. No worries. 10 games in does not a panic attack make.
    Uhhh Vintage, don't take this the wrong way, but the guy has pitched six innings in three starts this year, has given up 23 runs on 23 hits and currently has a 34.50 era. I don't know about anyone else, but I would be sounding the alarm for any pitcher at this point. This is bording on disaster for a pitcher that was the ace of the staff as recently as two years ago and starting last season.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

We need Phil Hughes as 5th starter. Put Joba back into the bullpen. They'll be fine...there's plenty of baseball left to be played.

Tim

I know it's early yet, small sample size, blah blah blah...but the Yankee$ losing is always something that's going to make my day.
    Brian Ca$hman might be the worst GM in baseball. He has more money to play with than any other GM, and this is the best he can do? Nearly half a billion dollars committed to free agents last off season, and this is the best he can do?
    And before the usual suspects can start their "oooh, but the Orioles suck worse than we do" chorus...take a look at the Orioles payroll vs the Yankee$. Then take a look at what's in the pitching pipeline for the Orioles vs the Yankee$. Then compare the two teams outfields. Then see if you can tell me with a straight face that you'd rather be the Yankee$ than the Orioles...in any respect other than revenues.
    Yeah, our starters mostly suck, just like yours do. But we have about $75 invested in each of 'em, so that when the time comes to kick 'em to the curb, it's not going to hurt much.
    Tha Yankee$ lose...tha Yankee$ lose...tha Yankee$ lose...and the giant freakin' lounge chairs in the uber-expensive seats are already empty.
    Sweet. Glorious, beautiful and sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime59 View Post
    I know it's early yet, small sample size, blah blah blah...but the Yankee$ losing is always something that's going to make my day.
    Brian Ca$hman might be the worst GM in baseball. He has more money to play with than any other GM, and this is the best he can do? Nearly half a billion dollars committed to free agents last off season, and this is the best he can do?
    And before the usual suspects can start their "oooh, but the Orioles suck worse than we do" chorus...take a look at the Orioles payroll vs the Yankee$. Then take a look at what's in the pitching pipeline for the Orioles vs the Yankee$. Then compare the two teams outfields. Then see if you can tell me with a straight face that you'd rather be the Yankee$ than the Orioles...in any respect other than revenues.
    Yeah, our starters mostly suck, just like yours do. But we have about $75 invested in each of 'em, so that when the time comes to kick 'em to the curb, it's not going to hurt much.
    Tha Yankee$ lose...tha Yankee$ lose...tha Yankee$ lose...and the giant freakin' lounge chairs in the uber-expensive seats are already empty.
    Sweet. Glorious, beautiful and sweet.
    Man, you're singing is music to my ears. I agree 100%. They go out and blow tons of $$ on Sabathia and Tex, who are choking some now. Early or not, when you get paid what these guys do...you are expected to produce. The Yankees are shoved down everyone's throat as the be all in professional sports. It's a quick lesson to my little leaguer's...$$ doesn't buy everything.

I'm painfully reminded of that when I watched my mother die for 2 years. That was a lesson for my dad unfortunately...
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

How are they choking. Tex will be alot better when he has a-rod batting behind him, so he gets better pitches.

To you guys what is the definition of buying players. Becuase if you look at the Yankees roster to the Rays roster, the yankees have MORE home-grown players then them.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtime59 View Post
    Then take a look at what's in the pitching pipeline for the Orioles vs the Yankee$. Then compare the two teams outfields. Then see if you can tell me with a straight face that you'd rather be the Yankee$ than the Orioles...in any respect other than revenues.
    Sure, I'll take a look at the pitching pipelines. The Yankees have Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, Andrew Brackman, Mark Melancon and Dellin Betances. I would compare Hughes favorably with Matusz/Arrieta in the Orioles system and say that there is more pitching depth in the Yankees' farm system than in the Orioles'.

Comparing the outfields? Sure, the Orioles have a very talented and young outfield but that really doesn't mean all that much - you would do a lot better to compare the offensive lineup as a whole. Once A-Rod is back, there's no contest as to which team will have the better offense.

I can tell you with a straight face that I would rather be the Yankees than the Orioles. At least George Steinbrenner is willing to put up the money to create a successful team. There's plenty of baseball left to be played. We'll see who's there in the end.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by stkmtimo View Post
    Sure, I'll take a look at the pitching pipelines. The Yankees have Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, Andrew Brackman, Mark Melancon and Dellin Betances. I would compare Hughes favorably with Matusz/Arrieta in the Orioles system and say that there is more pitching depth in the Yankees' farm system than in the Orioles'.

Comparing the outfields? Sure, the Orioles have a very talented and young outfield but that really doesn't mean all that much - you would do a lot better to compare the offensive lineup as a whole. Once A-Rod is back, there's no contest as to which team will have the better offense.

I can tell you with a straight face that I would rather be the Yankees than the Orioles. At least George Steinbrenner is willing to put up the money to create a successful team. There's plenty of baseball left to be played. We'll see who's there in the end.

Tim
    But Tim, that is the point and the whole problem. With the money you guys are able to spend you should be there in the end every single year. It is ridiculous that anybody should be able to compete with the Yankees given the structure that they have to work with. Again, I don't blame the Yankees, if you can get away with it then who wouldn't. If the Yankees did not throw all that money they are making back into the team, wouldn't all the Yankee fans come unglued if it was simply lining Stinebrenners pockets every year. The point is, the system is broken and until it gets fixed this arguement will go on and on.

The Yankees are really in a no win situation. Spend all the money you can as they do and the expectation is that that should and will win every year. Anything less than a World Series title is a failure. Yet people who are reasonable and see this stupidity for what it is will continue to lambast MLB for a flawed and failed system as should anyone even Yankee fans. I have said this before, If my favorite team the Lakers could outspend the entire league and balloon their payroll to $200 million when everyone else is spending 65 million, boy wouldn't I be real proud if they could field the NBA all-star team at every position and beat the holy crap out of teams night in and night out. Yipee, what an accomplishment. Kind of like the Dream Team became, the expectation is that you demolish everyone and anything less is complete failure. The opposite end of the spectrum is that they line their pockets with all that cash and piss off the fan base instead of dumping the money back into the team. Given Cashman and the Yankee braintrusts inability to win with a $200 million payroll god forbid they would have to compete with $75 million. Would this team even win 65 games consistently?

I am not a fan of some of these teams so I don't have a dog in the fight, but given the current payroll situation in MLB, will we ever see the Royals, Brewers, Orioles, Blue Jays, Mariners, Pirates, Reds, and I am sure I am missing a few teams in the mix consistenly or even making the playoffs again ever??? Yeah, the Rays did it last year but I am interested in seeing a five year window. My guess is this team is either one and done or maybe two years and that is about it. Long term, they don't stand a chance against the Yankees and Red Sox who just keep reloading year after year after year. That is why this system is flawed garbage.
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Well the yankees have to sign players because they can't get number one draft picks every year like the Rays did(need to come in last many years). Thats why they were able to put a good team out there.

yanks maybe you should take a look at some of the ball players taken later in the draft. they were still getting picks in the first round just not as early. i would say that there have been just as many first round flops as there has been late round super stars.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington