Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tired of it

Re: Tired of it

Sky,
    you are a good man for trying to help out a friend as I would of done the same. I would not sell it to him now, because of him letting his wife get involved and sticking her nose where it does not belong !!

Yanks,
    I am with you on this, when I cut someone a break on something I am happy because the item is going to a good home, but when they turn around and just sell it, thats just wrong.

I guess I'll respond since I am the one being called out.

Here is a quote from your post selling the bats:
    "Trying to sell these two items to fund another purchase."

I emailed you and asked
    "What would be the best price you could do on them now?"

After I paid for them you posted:
    "Lot is Sold, Thanks to the buyer"

It sounds like you were happy then when you sold them as you got the money you needed. At no time did I give you any impression of what I planned to do with these, so please do not even mention deceit. You picked the price you were gonig to sell them for, not me. I agreed to it.

I feel you are upset because you had remorse as a seller because you sent me this email:
    "How much do you want for my ex. Posada bat that i sold you. I'm thinking that i may be interested in buying it back. Thanks"

A question for you, would you have had any problem if I sold them for a loss?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TFig27 - NY Yankees Collector
    A. Boone - R. Cano - N. Swisher - T. Martinez - P. O'Neill - E. Hinske
    J. Damon - R. Brogna - D. Bragg - W. Upshaw - K. Farnsworth

Tom,
    Okay your right. But when you made your first offer that was not so you could get a lower price and make more profit. The only reason i brought this up was because you have done it times before with other people.

I listed a WS Mcgwire Issued Bat on Ebay, in less than an hour a Forum member (I know EXACTLY who he is) e-mailed me asked if I`d accept 300.00, this is less than 1/2 of my asking price.

Same thing happened a few weeks ago, EXTREME LOWBALL FORUM MEMBER OFFER. Hate to say it, but it`s true.

Maybe we could make a "Reality" TV Series from it???

I sold a Bat to a Forum member a few years ago for about 175, he spun around & dumped it for about 400.00$

Moral of the Story, LESSON LEARNED. I set a Price & STICK TO IT. Whatever happens after that, I give it ZERO energy...

Sean

You kind of have to know if you sell something on the forum here, you are not reaching the biggest audience ever and therefore are not likely to command top dollar. Where as on eBay or any auction format, all you need is two serious buyers to drive the price to top dollar, or perhaps even past the point of sanity.

I've never sold anything here but a few nickel/dime items.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

i dont think i would have much of a collection if i didnt get items from collectors with similar interests. most of the time the collector is happy that their item is going to another collector and not a dealer. i guess it comes to the collectors realization that an item that they had in their collection and that they had some attachment to for some significant time is going to "a good home" so that its easier to rationalize selling the item. when that implicit collector to collector agreement is reached, i think it would be a great let down if i saw the item hawked soon after its disposal. hawking the item shows that lack of appreciation of the item from a collector's point of view. i definitely would have seconds thought of selling to the person again or remove the collector discount.

i guess it also up to the seller also to know more the extent of the collector's collection to ascertain whether there is a chance, as there always is, that this item would be resold in the future.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

As for me, I see this forum more of a collectors' site. If I ask someone here to give me a better deal, it is in that light of a collector not a dealer. In the short time I have been here, some forum members have made what I felt were generous exchanges and I feel it would be somewhat of a betrayal of friendship just to turn and sell it for an in-your-face obvious profit. And yet, I would later feel it OK to trade it for another item for my permanent collection. Is that being disloyal?

But one thing I have done is that any deals I have made for my Cordova collection, I do consider permanent. It is added to my collection and it stays there. And along the way I have bought several large Cordova collections from collectors, not dealers, and I knew they were giving me better deals because it was going to a "good home" and what they took a lot of time putting together would not just be dumped without regard. Maybe it is an implied sense of collectors' honor. That may be unrealistic, but I think it holds in some cases for some deals.

But life situations change and no one can predict what might happen. I've managed to maintain my Cordova collection through cancer which completely devastated every other area of finances. I've been tempted at times to sell off a key item but have been able to hang on. And I admit, I was helped by the less-than-stellar ending to his career which made any market mighty small rather than if his items maintained high value.

So just speaking for myself, I view transactions from the forum a bit different than eBay or an auction item. If I buy or trade for an item, my intention is not to make a profit from a kindness. But I may make a trade for something that comes along for my Cordova collection ... and hope the forum member would understand. And maybe do the same. I admit when I am selling, if I sense something is going into a collection, I make a better deal for them. If I think it is going to be sold, I make sure I am happy with what I got so I am not tempted down the road that can be mistaken for seller's remorse.

But I am new here ... those are just some thoughts.