Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Will Gary Sheffield make it to the HOF?

It's not even a steroids versus no-steroids debate. Sheffield isn't a Hall of Famer if compared only to his steroid-era contemporaries-- Piazza, Frank Thomas, Greiffey, Bonds, Alomar, Clemens. Raphael Palmiero was a superior ball player to Sheffield, in part because Palmiero was a team player and a good fielder.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post

And unfortunately for Gary Sheffield, he will grouped into that category because of his brief stint of friendship with Barry Bonds, and self admission that he used. Who knows what the real truth is.
    Actually he didnt admit to taking roids because he didn't inject anything into his BUTT lol lol

After watching him in Detroit here; not a chance... The longer he hangs on, it becomes less by the day.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

I actually think Sheffield has a good shot at the HOF, assuming Clemens, Bonds, or another proven PED user gets in. Throughout his career, Sheff has been one of the games most feared hitters and has put up numbers worthy of the Hall. While his attitude has been questionable, there are a number of HOFers with attitudes that were at least as bad, during their playing days.

As far as the steroid issue goes, once one proven steroid user gets in, it opens the door for everyone else...

Quote Originally Posted by reed1216 View Post
    I actually think Sheffield has a good shot at the HOF, assuming Clemens, Bonds, or another proven PED user gets in. Throughout his career, Sheff has been one of the games most feared hitters and has put up numbers worthy of the Hall. While his attitude has been questionable, there are a number of HOFers with attitudes that were at least as bad, during their playing days.

As far as the steroid issue goes, once one proven steroid user gets in, it opens the door for everyone else...
    And that's a big questionmark at this point....

Will it ever happen?

I think it will happen. If there was a fool-proof way to exclude any and all PED users from the HOF, I think they'd be excluded, but there isn't. I imagine that several PED users who haven't been named will be inducted. Things should get really confusing if someone gets inducted and later on is named as a PED user.

For the sake of argument, let's say Ivan Rodriguez is inducted and later found to have used steroids, HGH, etc. If this happens, it'll be real tough to keep guys like Bonds, Clemens and Sheffield out. I think there are fans and probably writers who are suspicious of everyone from this era. The only fool-proof way to keep all PED users out would be to close the Hall to everybody from this generation and that won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by reed1216 View Post
    While his attitude has been questionable, there are a number of HOFers with attitudes that were at least as bad, during their playing days. .
    I once heard it reported that he admitted playing badly for the Brewers because he wanted to get traded. I don't know if he said it. Nor do I know if he was just making an excuse for some bad play. But that is a terrible thing to say and a worse thing to do. I can't think of many other players who ever claimed to be screwing up on purpose.

He said that when he was a Brewer he would make an intentional error if he thought he was previously erroneously scored for an error. Not only is it bad for the team, but its bone-headed for his own sake. Instead of being charged for one error, he makes it so he is charged for two. It's known as cutting off one's nose to spite the face.

if he buys a tickets like the rest of us he will make it .... bet hes never been there

[quote=reed1216;138706].... I imagine that several PED users who haven't been named will be inducted. Things should get really confusing if someone gets inducted and later on is named as a PED user.[quote]

Personally, I think one is already in there. And a guess is that it will come out only after The List is out and the rest of the discussion gets hot.