Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: How many collectors are player collectors???

While I do collect a few team things, PLAYER COLLECTOR all the way. Kingman has been my guy since childhood: 72 Giants R, 73 Giants H, 77 Mets R, 79 Cubs R, 80 Cubs H, 82 Mets H, 84 A's R, 85 A's Gold, 85 A's White, 89 Tropics Home and Road. Have about 25-30 bats, 3 fielding gloves, 3 helmets, hats from almost every club except CA and SD. Jackets from all teams except CA. So, very heavy into Kong.

Also have much smaller player collections of Jim Thome, Mark McGwire and now Adam Dunn. Have home jerseys of all 3 teams for Thome and 2 bats. No jerseys for Dunn or Mac yet.

It's a great passion for sure.

RK
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

Arrow Re: How many collectors are player collectors???

Alex Rodriguez
    1998 Game used bat HR#4 from 40/40 season
    2002 Game used bat
    2007 game used bat Grand slam HR#517 (We were there & can be seen in highlight vid front row when hes rounding 3rd)

2000 Game used Mariners signed batting glove
    2001 game used signed Rangers batting gloves
    2007 game used signed Yankees batting gloves

2002 game used signed Rangers hat

Signed ticket from 8/4/07 inscribed 500 HR

I will collect virtually any game-used item that is Diamondbacks-related, but one player in particular, all of whose stuff I go for, is Matt Williams. So far, I've managed to find and acquire

29 bats
    2 fielder's gloves (both from SF)
    1 batting helmet (Phoenix Firebirds, 1988)
    1 cap (from SF)
    3 jerseys (SF, Cleveland, and AZ)
    2 manager's jerseys (Mobile, 2007)
    3 of his personal golf bags

Quote Originally Posted by vdsporty25 View Post
    Miguel Cabrera:

(6) Game Used bats
    (1) Pair of batting gloves
    (1) pair of cleats
    2009 batting helmet

Curtis Granderson:

(5) Game used bats
    (2) Batting Helmets (2007 away and wbc)
    (2) pair of cleats (07 and wbc)
    (2) pair of batting gloves (2007 and wbc)
    (1) wbc away hat
    2009 wbc uniform (jersey and pants)

Always looking for Detroit Tigers game used items.
    vdsporty25...please email me....
    thanks, Dale
    always looking for Detroit Tiger world series player bats......game used 2006 & 2012 world series items....Quintin Berry bats....also interested in Ivan Rodriguez bats...
    Thank you, Dale
    tigers1984@comcast.net

I was wondering what are the reasons behind collecting one imparticular player. I recently started collecting some david wright items bat, 2 pairs of cleats and a helmet so far. But it killed me in the wallet. Do you stick with one player because hes your favorite, because you like the team, because you like how he plays the game, perhaps because his stuff is cheap and always available, or is it another reason.

I have stuck with collecting Jim thru thick and thin because of his exceptional character, and perseverance through Tourette's and because not many folks collect him, and aside from his GU stuff already listed, I have scores of signed items and posters and nearly every card issued, even 1/1's. He's just the guy I picked out, and glad to have met him a couple of times too. An interesting man all-around.

I used to collect bats and jerseys from Bill Buckner. I had 7 jerseys and have since sold them all except for one. I still have 11 bats and don't plan to sell them. The whole "player collecting thing" sometimes has a strange feel to it. Most of my friends would, tongue in cheek, refer to me as a stalker due to to all the stuff I had. I'm much more comfortable and enjoy collecting team stuff instead of individual players.

I'd like to hear feedback from you guys that have multiple items from specific players. I'm sure you've been abused from your friends about it.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

As I said in my original post, I'm more of a player collector right now because it's interesting to me to collect items of people who grew up locally.

It may not be quite so interesting if I were from So. Cal. or something like that where there's a hundred pro athletes. But, there are two from my high school and one from a high school just like 20 min from where I grew up, so there certainly aren't a ton of people to choose from!

As far as the whole "stalker" comment... my girlfriend calls me a stalker too because of all the Chris Snee items that I have. I personally think that in my situation (I actually know Chris. Not great friends or anything, but we know each other), that it's actually being less of a stalker than if I were to collect a ton of stuff from some random person that I watch on TV and have never met. Not to say that people who do that are stalkers, I collect a lot of Redskins cards of people who I've never met and will never meet. I'd also say that I don't think that any fellow collectors would call player collectors stalkers, because they get the enjoyment and the "thrill of the hunt" aspect to it too.

As far as I'm concerned, my collection of Snee items is never complete. There's always a new item that he's featured in (I recently bought both versions of the Giants Monopoly games) or something that I can get signed when I see him next.

-Brian

As you all can tell by the name, I collect David Justice. So far I have:
    1999 Game Worn Indians Home Jersey
    Game Worn Indians Hat
    1997 Game Used World Series Bat
    Game Used Fielding Glove
    Game Worn Braves Pants
    2001 Game Used World Series Bat (Signed)

As Always, LMK if anybody is looking to sell any Justice items.

Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    I used to collect bats and jerseys from Bill Buckner. I had 7 jerseys and have since sold them all except for one. I still have 11 bats and don't plan to sell them. The whole "player collecting thing" sometimes has a strange feel to it. Most of my friends would, tongue in cheek, refer to me as a stalker due to to all the stuff I had. I'm much more comfortable and enjoy collecting team stuff instead of individual players.

I'd like to hear feedback from you guys that have multiple items from specific players. I'm sure you've been abused from your friends about it.
    Oh Yeah, I've heard it from friends and friends of friends, they step into my room of stuff and just go "Whoa, dude...obsess much???" But all of my friends tell me later how cool they think the collection is. It's the initial shock of seeing so much from one player that makes people think you're a little nuts. And, hey, we probably are! But we're not stalkers...