Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Vintage auctions - Drexler game-used jersey opinions?

Hey guys, i'm new here and need help deciding whether this Drexler jersey is really game-used or not. After reading various threads saying Lou Sampson a one of the worse authenticators for memoribilia i'm now having doubts on whether this is fake or real?.

Can you guys help me - i've attached scans in this thread. The signature is JSA Authenticated.

Description:
    Road blue pinstripe Champion Houston Rockets jersey used by Hall of Famer Clyde Drexler during the 1996-97 50th Anniversary NBA season. Clyde was named one of the league's 50 best during the season and the jersey features the gold NBA sewn logo on the upper left chest in proper position. It is appropriately double tagged on outer tail with Champion label containing size 50 and wash instructions flanked by exclusivity label with 1996-97 and body length +3 IDs and pen code residing on inner side seam. Overall the gamer exhibits light consistent game use throughout and earns a final grade of 8. Drexler has also signed the second 2 on the back of the jersey.

Also, what a some trusted auction houses most people use here.What does it also mean by grade 8?

Thanks guys!

Re: Vintage auctions - Drexler game-used jersey opinions?

Would Clyde wear a size 50?

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    Would Clyde wear a size 50?
    He's the same size as Jordan - so yes!

I do not see a match for it on Getty from the 96-97 season. In fact, judging from the Getty images, it looks like Clyde wore the same blue pinstripe jersey all season, with the pinstripe running down in between the 2s on the upper right of the front crest. The jersey at Vintage has the pinstripe running through the second 2. I'll keep my general thoughts about Vintage to myself ... let's just say I have never bid and I never will (this Clyde does not make me want to change my mind). In fairness, Getty does not have images of Clyde from all games during the 96-97 season. As such, I am not saying that this jersey is bad.

By the way, BPH/Kim Stigall had what appeared to be an outsanding pair of Clyde's game worn and signed shoes on eBay recently. It may still be on eBay in either current or past auctions. I remember that the starting bid was around $245 and I don't remember seeing a bidder.

Best of luck with your collecting.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

He's the same size as Jordan - so yes!
    So Clyde always wore the same size as Jordan or are you saying that Clyde and MJ both wore a size 50 jersey in 96-97.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    So Clyde always wore the same size as Jordan or are you saying that Clyde and MJ both wore a size 50 jersey in 96-97.
    I didn't quite get that myself.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Like SportsCentury said, the Getty Images from 1997 season show the blue stripe going between the '22'.

Also, Getty didn't have a back shot of his blue jersey, but did of his white, which I have to assume all the markings would be the same, just difference in color. The stripes on the back of the Getty white show the stripe coming down the center of the 'X' and the top left corner of the 'E', while yours looks a little shifted to the left.

I am NOT trying to make it sound like you didn't get what you paid for, just trying to help out with some images/photomatch for you

Did you win this in the Vintage Auctions that just closed this past Thursday?

Best of luck on collecting!

Hey guys, thanks for the input. Yes i was the winner of the Drexler jersey which i unknowingly thought was real, but after checking this site and getting feedback from members here, this is most likely a fake.

So do you guys think this is a fake?, and do they offer refund's for un happy customers?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickacs View Post
    I am NOT trying to make it sound like you didn't get what you paid for, just trying to help out with some images/photomatch for you

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post

By the way, BPH/Kim Stigall had what appeared to be an outsanding pair of Clyde's game worn and signed shoes on eBay recently. It may still be on eBay in either current or past auctions. I remember that the starting bid was around $245 and I don't remember seeing a bidder.

Best of luck with your collecting.
    I'll check it out.Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickacs View Post
    Like SportsCentury said, the Getty Images from 1997 season show the blue stripe going between the '22'.

Also, Getty didn't have a back shot of his blue jersey, but did of his white, which I have to assume all the markings would be the same, just difference in color. The stripes on the back of the Getty white show the stripe coming down the center of the 'X' and the top left corner of the 'E', while yours looks a little shifted to the left.

I definitely would not assume that the pinstripe pattern would be the same across any two jerseys. Though it is hard to discern, it appears the pinstripe patterns for Drexler's main home and road pinstripes from 96-97 are similar on the fronts, but not the same (see Getty images 52012975 and 1396917, for example). Typically, any two jerseys would not even be this similar in pattern. Regardless, the Vintage jersey is not one in which I would have great confidence.

Does this photo match the jersey? Cant tell if its 96-97 jersey with the anniversary patch. Maybe you can find out what shoes he wore that season

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLYDE-DREXLER-SIGNED-8X10-PHOTO-HOUSTON-ROCKETS-AUTO_W0QQitemZ270382465508QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item3ef40d01e4&_trksid=p3286.c0 .m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1205|240 %3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Jojo