Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Sosa named in PED samples from 2003

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Interestingly, I don't think this will affect his GU prices at all. We have all assumed he used roids for so long now, that the big hit to the market for his stuff took place long ago. His stuff has been worth very little for several years now... but in the late 1990s (and even very early 2000s), it was better than gold.
    I agree. His items are already a fraction of what they used to be.

Interestingly I think that McGwire items have been going back up little by little probably since the big HR hitters are now all in the same boat. Mark was largely singled out for his "I don't want to talk about the past".
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

The only news worthy aspect of this story is that Sammy still thinks he going to be enshrined in the Hall of Fame!
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Yeah, good luck to any current or recent 500 HR guy not named Griffey on getting into the hall.

I would think that the Big Hurt would have a reservation as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdbats View Post
    In other shocking news, Bill Gates is rich, Shaq is tall and Bill Clinton likes girls.

I thought Billie-boy only copped to liking "hand-dipped cigars"??

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post

Interestingly I think that McGwire items have been going back up little by little probably since the big HR hitters are now all in the same boat. Mark was largely singled out for his "I don't want to talk about the past".

And adding to that thought, Andrew, McGwire was also "out" of baseball in 2003, so his name will not surface on the "infamous 104 list".

Look.....this was a sad era, and I really believe the injustice of "leaking" just the couple or so of the names from this list is silly.

Just PUT IT OUT there, let everyone digest it, and let history takes it course. Let the BBWAA figure out how they feel about the issue.

In the end, I think the best of the era still get inducted, right or wrong as it may be, because they were the best of their generation.......er....to a point:

They were the best of "their generation of the players who consciously chose to cheat"......so we'll never really know truly who the best of that decade and a half really was......and that's a sad fact. And one hell of a lesson to learn.

It's time to move on, and the only way that happens is to "release the list" for public consumption. Everything heals in time......that doesn't die from the original "injury". Baseball will survive this.

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    A fraction of what they used to be is an understatement!!!

I recently won this one on ebay. It was so cheap, I couldn't resist. It was the G157 White Sox model that had been on ebay before; I believe it might have been part of a lot of several bats in its first go-around.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230347366947

I just cannot believe how low Sosa's gear has gone. Back in 1998-2000, if you were to try to tell me that "10 years from now, a game used, autographed Sosa bat would sell for $125," I would have probably fell over laughing!
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Sosa seems to have taken a far bigger hit than most of the aforementioned players. It might be a fact now that he cheated, but he did more for the game than just put up numbers (and few could argue that his run from 98-02 has ever been paralleled). He was an ambassador of the game. He endeared himself to the hearts of not only the American public but to baseball fans worldwide. He brought fans back to the stadiums at a time where baseball's popularty was at an all time low.
    And that said, the way he was treated in years to come was despicable. I can't believe how many times I heard the phrase "he wore out his welcome in Chicago."

Anyway, while I'm on the "soap box"...
    I have been a fan of the game for the last 30 years and this so-called "steroid era" was a big part of my own fandom. It has created some very memorable experiences for me and for countless others. To look back on an era where so much was done to renew interest in the sport of baseball in America would really be doing the game an injustice. If those that govern the sport now really want to punish these guys for what they did 10 years ago, perhaps, they should have practiced what they preached a long time ago -- oh yeah, I forgot, they were making money hand over foot. Why should they...
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Banned

MORE SHOCKING NEWS!!!!

1) U.S. Just put a man on the moon
    2) Steven Speilberg set to direct E.T.
    3) Yankees just signed Dave Winfield
    4) Every breath you take - hits #1 on Billboard

I wish all the names come out. Im tired of a new name every couple of months but it wasnt a shock about Sosa though. Its time for baseball to move on but it cant until this steriod iss ue is put to rest. Im tired of it

Jojo