Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Anyone have any cool stories about sports and your Dad?

I remember my 1st game my father took me too it was in 1977 a doubleheader. I don't remember much I was 6 but it being a long day.My father was a die hard Mets fan.I can remember the stories he told about the 69 team over and over again.And the 73 team almost defeating the mighty A's at that time.He could go on.The biggest highlight was in 88 when we went to our only game together just me and him.It was fun and very special to me just us.That did not happen very often which saddens me.He was a die hard never giving up and always hoping for the best like in 00.We got to enjoy that World Series together I was so hoping they would win it all for him because he was diagnosed with brain and lung cancer.I remember him saying after the Mets lost don't worry they will get them next year.Game 5 watching Leier pitch his ass off was enough for him and his last Mets game he would ever watch.He passed away on April 17,2001.I think of him everyday knowing he is watching down telling me to not quit. This and the fact that my brother passed away in 98 saddens me because we were 3 die hard Mets fans no matter what.I am lucky to have found a 2nd family of Mets fans who I am lucky to call friends.You guys make it easier and know we have 2 Angels up above rooting for our team..
    Looking for Doug Flynn and Joel Youngblood items.NY Mets jerseys 78-82

Thanks Scott dcrules01@msn.com

You all have great stories! Glad I am able to hear them. Seems that most sports fans get it from their Dad. I hope that one day I can have a son and share my love of sports with him also. I told my wife the other day, I don't know what I will do when he is no longer around. I'm hoping I can see the Dolphins win a Super Bowl with him!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.3000 View Post
    Nearly sums up my "father son sports story". My father worked 2 jobs and had zero interest in sports. Whatever I learned to enjoy, I learned on my own.

Thankfully I didn't pick up those character traits. My 2 year daughter sits with me and claps and cheers during whatever game I'm watching. I explain everything to her. I don't expect her to remember everything....but while watching football clips on ESPN she yells "TOUCHDOWN!!" and throws her arms up in the air...so I know she's definately learning
    Yes, my dad worked 6 days a week; and at 70 years old he still works 5 days. Hard working man. Kids know more about what is going on that adults think. Dad always gave me the impression as a kid that he'd rather be with friends than his kids. No different today when he'd rather hang with friends than attend the grandkids ballgames. I gave up long ago on him. I coach my son's team (have for years) and help out with daughter's. I try to be there instead of a Vegas trip.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

My dad is kind of famous in his own right in the hockey fight world. Back in the 70s he traded a network of hockey fight trade trading, something that gave him the nickname "The Godfather of Fights" by fellow traders and NHL players. He's been on tv shows, radio shows, magazines, in books etc in the 80s. He gained that exposure from the most of the players and coaches he dealt with. What I mean by dealt is, whenever players wanted to see their fights they would give him call and vice versa when my dad didnt have a particular fight. The Rangers also asked him a few times to give them scouting reports on certain fighters so they could be given to their enforcers. Because of all this, he was able to get a good number of game used sticks, a few jerseys, and for me memories of spending time with my dad, traveling, meeting players and hanging out in and outside of the locker rooms.

Anthony

My Dad was and still isn't a baseball fan. He just never got into the sport so taking us as kids was never really something we did. We did once go see the Phillies in Philly play the Mets, but other than that, we never went.

I, however am a huge Yankees fan and decided in 2007 to get tickets for us to go. After discussions with him about when we can go and where to sit, I landed us two tickets for us in the Tier Reserved section of the Old Yankee Stadium vs Detroit. In a great game, that saw Joe Torre capture the Yankees all time win record we had out first Father/Son major league game together. My dad keeps a bulletin board on the wall in front of his desk at home. On it he places information and stuff he needs etc. Pinned to the board is his ticket from the game that day.

Last year, I got to repeat the day. My father-in-law said he has been a Yankees fan all his life, but due to logistics of where he lived, going to a game was never possible. Being the last season at the Old Stadium I knew we had to go. I looked on line and found tickets for, myself, him and my Dad. We made the trip to the Bronx and I was able to to take my father-in-law to his first ever Yankees game.

Scott

It's been a long while since a post was made. Tomorrow morning my Dad and I leave for a trip to Miami for sundays game. I can't wait! My wife and my brother will be coming with us too. I will be sure to post some pictures when I get back!!

jason-I hope you and your dad (and your wife and brother) have a safe and happy trip to miami.And always remember to treasure these moments.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonBanz View Post
    It's been a long while since a post was made. Tomorrow morning my Dad and I leave for a trip to Miami for sundays game. I can't wait! My wife and my brother will be coming with us too. I will be sure to post some pictures when I get back!!

Pops doesn't care about sports at all. But he was a pilot for a company that flew Troy Aikman, Moose, Dan Marino, and others around for their NFL broadcasts. After he asked me if I knew who they were, he was able to get autographed balls for me. He said they were all very nice people. Troy and Moose offered him tickets to some of the games they were doing, but he turned them down. Can you imagine that?? Troy Aikman offers you tickets to a game, and you just say no....
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Email:
    jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com

Seeing this thread about sports stories and Dads really made me smile.

My dad was a Yankees fan ever since he saw some Yankees players visit Kauai back when he was a kid. His favorite player was Mickey Mantle. When my daughter was born on July 9th, 2005, he nicknamed her, "The M & M Kid," for her birthday being 7/9 (Mantle and Maris' uniform numbers).

Being a Dodger fan it was tough in our household during the 1977 and 1978 World Series. But, I finally got the bragging rights in 1981 (even though it was a strike-shortened season).

I lost my dad to cancer in 2007. His cancer started out in his prostate and then spread throughout his body. He spent 11 days at St. Francis Hospice in Nuuanu before he passed away.

In 2008 I attended a Dodgers Fantasy Camp in Vero Beach, Florida. Instead of writing my uniform number on my cap I wrote his name. Each camper was allowed to leave tickets for the Big Game versus the Instructors. I left a ticket for my dad. After the game the unused tickets were returned to the campers, but I never got my ticket back. Perhaps it was due to a mix-up, but I was glad to not get the ticket returned to me. Maybe my dad wanted to watch me play that day.

Kind Regards,

Ron.

Rsamiano@aol.com

So we got back yesterday and had a blast! The greatest trip I think I ever had. Saturday we took a trip to Dolphins headquarters and met a player while we were there. While we were at the game we were in the same section as Gloria Estefan's box(she waved to me during the game and after ), about 30 rows down, and a few sections from Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony's box. Plus the Fins destroyed the Bills. I got some pics.

Name:  Miami2.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  51.5 KB

Name:  Stadium.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  44.9 KB

Name:  GloriaEstefan.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  Jlo.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  47.1 KB