Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

1966 Yankees Road Gamer? Help needed pls

Hi..I just recieved at the office today and would appreciate some feedback from Yankee collectors.

What have I got here?

It looks to be a 1966 Yankees road flannel jersey that may have been reccyled to the minors and used for a few more years. It has a MacGregor tagging (size 42) in the collar and under the button placket (Set 1 1966). Looks be all original, with #50 on the reverse. Also tagged with a small, square "55" tag in the collar. Has a 1969 100th Ann. MLB patch on the left sleeve, so I assume this may have been used by a Yankee farm club from at least 1967 to 1969.

I have done what research I can and their are a few similarites to the 1966 Mantle that HA auctioned off earlier this year. http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...ue-detour.html

Specifically- the style and material looks right and the ink-added and faded. "66" on the tail is in a similar hand and in a similar place on both jerseys. However, the HA jersey is a WILSON and mine in a MacGregor. The HA jersey's button look grey and mine are cream. I have found a few 1966 images of various Yankees in theri road flannels and some seem to sport darker button, and some lighter. Either way - the button could have been replaced.

At first look don't see any evidence of a collar strip tag or name tag, like the one on the 1966 Mantle ...having been removed etc. The numbers don't look to have been altered either. Perhaps a black light would rule these possible alterations out?

I can't find out who may have worn #50 in 1966 for the Yanks...but a believe Spud Murray wore #55? http://www.yankeenumbers.com/players...p?psearch=1966

Did the Yanks have WILSON and MacGregor unis in this era? Could this have gone to the Oneonta Yankees like the Mantle? Was this made directly for a minor team? Any help would be aprreciated..thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    WANTED -1977 Toronto Blue Jays game jersey

chris@pacmedia.ca

Re: 1966 Yankees Road Gamer? Help needed pls

Any Yankee flannel collectors out there?

chris@pacmedia.ca

Banned

I am by no means a vintage Yankees Jersey expert but I am a Yankee collector.

I am just going solely on the pictures you have posted, but that "55" tag looks bran new and the anniversary patch looks fairly new.

I would thinkboth of those from that many years ago should show some color discoloration.

I would try to see if you can see anything identifying those 2 things being added.

Quote Originally Posted by cjw View Post
    Hi..I just recieved at the office today and would appreciate some feedback from Yankee collectors.

What have I got here?

It looks to be a 1966 Yankees road flannel jersey that may have been reccyled to the minors and used for a few more years. It has a MacGregor tagging (size 42) in the collar and under the button placket (Set 1 1966). Looks be all original, with #50 on the reverse. Also tagged with a small, square "55" tag in the collar. Has a 1969 100th Ann. MLB patch on the left sleeve, so I assume this may have been used by a Yankee farm club from at least 1967 to 1969.

I have done what research I can and their are a few similarites to the 1966 Mantle that HA auctioned off earlier this year. http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com...ue-detour.html

Specifically- the style and material looks right and the ink-added and faded. "66" on the tail is in a similar hand and in a similar place on both jerseys. However, the HA jersey is a WILSON and mine in a MacGregor. The HA jersey's button look grey and mine are cream. I have found a few 1966 images of various Yankees in theri road flannels and some seem to sport darker button, and some lighter. Either way - the button could have been replaced.

At first look don't see any evidence of a collar strip tag or name tag, like the one on the 1966 Mantle ...having been removed etc. The numbers don't look to have been altered either. Perhaps a black light would rule these possible alterations out?

I can't find out who may have worn #50 in 1966 for the Yanks...but a believe Spud Murray wore #55? http://www.yankeenumbers.com/players...p?psearch=1966

Did the Yanks have WILSON and MacGregor unis in this era? Could this have gone to the Oneonta Yankees like the Mantle? Was this made directly for a minor team? Any help would be aprreciated..thanks!
    First, this is a sweet flannel. I agree the "66" looks to be in the same hand as the auction jersey.

Check the stitching of the letters and numbers. If someone was going to create a forgery, why would they use a spring training number like "50"?
    Why would anyone create a #55 swatch?
    Also, I believe the 100 year patch is from the era.

The shirt may have been recycled, but it looks to be a real Yankees shirt.
    Ok Chris...did you find this at a second hand store? My e-mail is at the bottom of this post.

Hand wash it in cold water with no soap, then hang dry. It'll look like a million bucks.

Bill Burbach wore #50 in 1969 (100 year patch season).
    If the patch is original, then that is your most logical conclusion.

Thanks guys!

I believe the patches are both vintage...but am no expert on the style of stitching to expect.

Burbach huh? Wouldn't that indicate the jersey was used from 1966-1969 by the big club and then retired/recycled/given away? Is that likely? Perhaps, as it shows no repairs etc, and as it is a high number, it was kept around for rookies, call ups etc until 1969? chris

chris@pacmedia.ca