Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Whats a better value?

Quote Originally Posted by panthrotc View Post
    you are wrong sir. THe 62 HR ball is currently in the HOF along with the bat mac used to hit it.
    You are right. We were just talking about this over the weekend...
    I wonder how much of his baseball stuff he really has laying around his crib?

Anyway, one of my buddies mentioned that stuff from #62 is in the Hall.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    You are right. We were just talking about this over the weekend...
    I wonder how much of his baseball stuff he really has laying around his crib?

Anyway, one of my buddies mentioned that stuff from #62 is in the Hall.
    mcgwire got rid of everything from the 98 season. I heard him say it himself in an interview he did back after he retired on espn and i heard again in a interview that was done a couple years ago. He gave all of the magical season stuff to family, friends, coaches, umpires and players. I dont know what he has left from the a's days, i know he has his ROY award in storage and he definately still has his 89 world series ring.

mcgwire got rid of everything from the 98 season. I heard him say it himself in an interview he did back after he retired on espn and i heard again in a interview that was done a couple years ago. He gave all of the magical season stuff to family, friends, coaches, umpires and players. I dont know what he has left from the a's days, i know he has his ROY award in storage and he definately still has his 89 world series ring.
    I know that Cards wheeled out a red Corvette when he hit #62 too. I think it was a '62 convertible. He only drove it a few times before it shot craps on him. I wonder where it went...?

His ex-wife's current husband is a dealer/body guy in CA, maybe he knows...anyway, looks like Mac is putting the past behind him literally.
    If he ever makes it to the hall (no arguments here, don't want to hijack the thread)...will he wear the A's hat or the Card's hat? Seems he got most of his major accomplishments in STL - Aside from ROY and the homer mark he tied that season.

Crazy that he'd get rid of it ALL.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Looks like Big Mac does not have much of anything left period.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...0?OpenDocument

McGwire is long on memories but short on actual memorabilia. This is by choice.

Other than a picture in his office of son Matt and himself around a batting cage in 1998, McGwire said, "I don’t know if I have one piece of any memorabilia from that year. I know what I did with it. I gave everything away. I gave away all my shoes, all my jerseys, all my batting gloves, all my bats — to all the players and coaches, visiting players, umpires, family members and friends. Even Bobby Knight has some stuff.

"People asked me, ‘Why aren’t you keeping any of this for yourself?’ I said, ‘You know what? I have the memories in my mind and that means more than having something special.’ I wanted everybody on my team, my friends, my opponents to have a piece of this."
    Brett Herman

brettherman2131@hotmail.com

Always looking for Cal Ripken Jr. Brooks Robinson, Boog Powell and Orioles game used bats and jersey's.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.miracle View Post
    Looks like Big Mac does not have much of anything left period.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...0?OpenDocument

McGwire is long on memories but short on actual memorabilia. This is by choice.

Other than a picture in his office of son Matt and himself around a batting cage in 1998, McGwire said, "I don’t know if I have one piece of any memorabilia from that year. I know what I did with it. I gave everything away. I gave away all my shoes, all my jerseys, all my batting gloves, all my bats — to all the players and coaches, visiting players, umpires, family members and friends. Even Bobby Knight has some stuff.

"People asked me, ‘Why aren’t you keeping any of this for yourself?’ I said, ‘You know what? I have the memories in my mind and that means more than having something special.’ I wanted everybody on my team, my friends, my opponents to have a piece of this."
    Nice article.

McGuire experienced the memory. McGuire tried to share his memory through momentos/objects to people he cared about that had witnessed his memory.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

just caught this thread, i missed it the first time by. quick story, when mcnall/gretzky sold their card they sold it to wal-mart as part of a giveaway. i actually won a chance at the card at the local wal-mart. my name was pulled and i had a 1 in 4000 shot at winning the wagner card. they drew the winners name on larry king live. all the name were in this big hopper that got spun around. talk about doing some praying. the worst part about it is i would have had to sell the card to pay the taxes. the winner sold it at auction for i believe $630,000. her name is patricia gibbs....not that i would remember that at all!!!! if there were no tax consequences i would have kept the card.

take care
    john

Quote Originally Posted by jonincleve View Post
    just caught this thread, i missed it the first time by. quick story, when mcnall/gretzky sold their card they sold it to wal-mart as part of a giveaway. i actually won a chance at the card at the local wal-mart. my name was pulled and i had a 1 in 4000 shot at winning the wagner card. they drew the winners name on larry king live. all the name were in this big hopper that got spun around. talk about doing some praying. the worst part about it is i would have had to sell the card to pay the taxes. the winner sold it at auction for i believe $630,000. her name is patricia gibbs....not that i would remember that at all!!!! if there were no tax consequences i would have kept the card.

take care
    john
    read about how she didnt even have cable so there was no chance she saw the drawing. she worked for the post office and some person who worked for an auction made a personal pitch to have their auction house sell off the card by getting in the postal line to talk to her.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

The Gretzky T206 Honus Wagner is and always will be worth more than the McGwire home run ball.