Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Bryce Harper 16 yr old on SI cover

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    I would like to see him hit a homerun like that with a wooden bat and not metal. Also i'll put the early bet that he's on something.

What a pathetic comment yanks. Sorry, but that is an absolutely ridiculous comment about a good kid that you clearly know absolutely nothing about. Have you ever even seen him in person??

Get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by redoctober View Post
    [/size]

What a pathetic comment yanks. Sorry, but that is an absolutely ridiculous comment about a good kid that you clearly know absolutely nothing about. Have you ever even seen him in person??

Get a life.

Kinda have to agree.

I just finished the article - and by all accounts, Bryce has been the best baseball player in his league since he was little - always playing several years up to be able to compete at his older brother's level. He had an amazing series when he was 12 years old - he went 12 for 12 with 11 homers. Doubtful his parents had him on PED's at that age.

About wood bats - there is a mention in that article about his power with a wood bat...just as impressive. Apparently, he puts on regular shows in wooden bat tournaments across the country.

I played baseball for 18 years - and against some great competition in several states, and I can honestly say that I rarely saw anyone hit a ball farther than 400-420 feet...even at the collegiate level. A 570 foot homer is impressive if you are taking an aluminum bat to a golf ball. The kid has power.

He also attends Bible classes before school and carries a 3.5 GPA - and volunteers within the community...

The only part I was concerned about was the fact that he was willing to forego his final year of HS in favor of a GED (in order to get into a jr. college and eventually drafted earlier than if he finished HS). Nothing against the GED, but with his GPA, there is no doubt he would be an All-American at a D1 school - education should be a priority. Too many times, athletes get hurt, etc. and have nothing to fall back on. Then again, Boras will be his agent (right now he is an advisor ) and a nice signing bonus will all but guarantee a long vacation from the daily 9-5...and if he gets injured terribly, he can relax and get his college in at UNLV.

Seems like a hungry kid that I would enjoy watching dominate in the MLB when his time comes.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mr.3000

[/size]

Get a life.
    Not that I condone Yanks comment...but do you know the kid personally? I'm guessing it would be fair to say that neither of you know this kid personally. And neither of you can say with 100% certainty whether he is or is not "on something".

Just my .02

[/size]
    Get a life.
    I think your out of line telling me to go get a life, i could say the samething to you for your pathetic statement about me. And im sure im not the only person that read the article about him who said i bet he's on something, im sorry that i have not seen any 16 year olds who the body of a 20 year old especially from snickers and yoo-hoos.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.3000 View Post
    Not that I condone Yanks comment...but do you know the kid personally? I'm guessing it would be fair to say that neither of you know this kid personally. And neither of you can say with 100% certainty whether he is or is not "on something".

Just my .02

Great point, but actually, while I would not consider it a "personal relationship", I am very familiar with Bryce and have followed his situation for a bit, as I live in LV as well. I obviously cannot vouch that he has not "used", as I have not been with him 24/7. However, I have no doubt that the kid is on the up-and-up. The SI story was not over the top -- actually accurate, however hard it may be to believe.

It is absolutely ridiculous that Yanks would make this leap with absolutely no knowledge.

So, I stand by my comment..."Get a life Yanks". You are out of line to make this assumption. Know what you are talking about before posting crap in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    I think your out of line telling me to go get a life, i could say the samething to you for your pathetic statement about me. And im sure im not the only person that read the article about him who said i bet he's on something, im sorry that i have not seen any 16 year olds who the body of a 20 year old especially from snickers and yoo-hoos.

It is sad that the "steroid age" has brought us to these types of conclusions. In the future, you should know something about a person before making such a statement.

How is it a absolutely ridiculous leap. The kid is huge for being 16 and is hitting 570 foot homeruns.

Bryce Harper the real deal?

So I guess Bryce Harper got his GED and is now attending a LV CC. He is now playing ball at the college level and will be draftable next year at age 17. I believe he is also currently playing for the 18U USA Team in the Pan Am Games? So the fast track has started for him. I don't know if it is the best path.

But I wonder if Harper is the real deal? He has shown he has a bunch of talent and potential, but those things translate differently for each person when they get into the professional ranks. I guess only time will truly tell us. I am curious what everyone's thoughts are now that he has taken the next step in his career and is soon to take an even bigger step into the pros.

Re: Bryce Harper the real deal?

Those that surround the local ball team talk about him like he's a done deal at #1 overall next year. My first thought is always "he's just 16 years old." That doesn't seem to matter to other people. It is fun to think about having a long-term catcher in line with a Mauer or Wieters but it seems to me that it'd be years from now before he appears in the bigs. We've all seen the video of his 500+ HR derby blasts and throwing guys out from his knees... but how that relates to the big leagues I'm not sure just like you.

Re: Bryce Harper the real deal?

The 16 year old thing can be thrown out the window because look at how many teams are drafting foreign players who are 16. The Reds for example picked up two of their top (yet far away from being ready) prospect Yoraman Rodriguez and Juan Duran I believe who were about 16 when they signed.

After that all star game and recently has been the first time I have heard a few negative things about the kid, but if I remember right he has three chances to succeed that many players do not. Catcher making him an all out elite prospect, Outfield because he can hit, and pitcher as final resort because he can throw 90's? I would take him, but who knows what he'll end up to be.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.