Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Scoreboard Triple Crown

from what i understand scoreboard signed individual athletes to contracts. i'm guessing then it was these athletes who procured their jerseys from rawlings. willie mays did indeed have a deal with scoreboard back in the day. so what exactly was willie supposed to ask rawlings for? jerseys "just like he wore while playing in 1989" like the other players? i'd be interested to see what kind of tagging the 1989 scoreboard will clarks had (if indeed i am correct that clark was part of scoreboards offerings. the only ones i'm 100% sure of are strawberry, canseco, and bo).

here's an '89 clark with the same style of tagging as the ebay mays: http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...uction_ID=6848#

anyone know why someone drew a star on the front? here's what i don't get about the AMI will clark jersey - it has a black armband which i believe was only worn during the world series in 1989. the jersey doesn't have a world series patch so how did it get an armband?

note, here's another 1989 will clark that does NOT have ebay mays' style tagging yet it has an armband and ws patch: http://www.huntauctions.com/LIVE/ima...um=21&lot_qual=

here's clark during the 1989 NLCS. no armband:

so the armband only went into effect for the world series yet the AMI jersey, with the "Purchased from SF Giants" stamp has an armband yet no WS patch. also the position of the armband on the AMI jersey is not consistent with game photos. very odd.

anyway, here's willie mays during the 1989 WS. willie ain't wearin a jersey:

rudy.

This is what I'm trying to tell someone on ebay. That Clark,
    1. You can't see the patch because it is covered by another photo.
    2. That AMI Clark has the black armband up too high. Should be right down to the trim. Here's a couple of real one's from 1989.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by Marichal27 View Post
    1. You can't see the patch because it is covered by another photo.
    are you saying the AMI clark has the WS patch?

there's no mention of it in the description or title. what sort of nutjob auction house gets a jersey with a WS patch on it and doesn't mention it at all?

i find the star to be very intriguing. almost as if someone drew it on there to denote something about the jersey; to permanently mark it for a specific reason.

rudy.

Rudy.....Don't forget ....they are AMI. Nothing makes much sense with them. As far as the star, I have no idea about that on. I've never seen that before.

Quote Originally Posted by kingjammy24 View Post
    are you saying the AMI clark has the WS patch?

there's no mention of it in the description or title. what sort of nutjob auction house gets a jersey with a WS patch on it and doesn't mention it at all?

i find the star to be very intriguing. almost as if someone drew it on there to denote something about the jersey; to permanently mark it for a specific reason.

rudy.
    Plus I've seen a Scoreboard "Clark" home jersey with the WS patch. About two months ago.

this thread seems to have evolved into 2 unrelated issues.

1) the correct tagging for 1989 giants jerseys

2) whether or not scoreboard offered 1989 home willie mays jerseys

zonker, the pics you show do not show the same style of tagging as the ebay mays. your tags have a 2-digit year, the ebay mays' have a 4-digit year. given that they aren't the same, i'm not sure what point you were trying to make. your kelly downs jersey is from 1991, has a correct 1990/91 style rawlings tag and a 2-digit year. how does this comment on a 1989 willie mays jersey with an incorrect 1990/91 style rawlings tag with a 4-digit year?

if the tagging seen on the ebay mays jerseys is correct, then it's completely irrelevant to the scoreboard issue because the scoreboard shirts should have the correct tagging! that is, a scoreboard shirt isn't identified by incorrect tagging. for me, this thread wasn't really about correct tagging on 1989 giants shirts but rather about the ebay mays' jerseys being scoreboard shirts. so far, i've seen about 5 of these things, they're all home jerseys and they're all set 2. mays really went through 5 home jerseys in 1989? and somehow they all wound up being set 2? does anyone with any common sense believe this to be likely? what are the odds of a part-time hitting instructor being issued 5 home set 2 jerseys in 1989? and of course, they're all autographed which was how the scoreboard shirts were offered.

rudy.
    I was takling to Lon Lewis, this afternoon, and he was telling me Scoreboard sold these, I remember the adds in SCD, when it was worth reading, plus Scoreboard sold them on QVC or one of those shopping shows on TV on top of that.

I can't take it any longer as this thread has really gone off of the deep end. The ridiculous speculation and all of the attendant nonsense. Where in the world do you guys get this stuff?
    There are so many misconceptions here that I can't even begin to address them all. I will however, explain to Rudy that the reason you can find 1989 Giants jerseys with the armband and lacking the patch is because the Giants only put the patch on 1 home and 1 road jersey for the series. Before you "don't understand" I'll anticipate your question- The Giants didn't have a sufficent quantity of patches to put on all of the jerseys so it was decided to put the patch on 1 home and 1 road.

Willie Mays: Mays was "brought back" to the Giants in 1986 as a "special assistant" to the G.M. ( Al Rosen) he was NOT a hitting instructor, batting coach or roving instructor as has been alluded to.

Dick Dobbins: Dobbins was merely the individual who sold what the Giants provided him. Dobbins did NOT-- I REPEAT- NOT have anything to do with the ordering of the uniforms. To suggest otherwise well, someone has a real active imagination.

Scoreboard: I did see Mays appearance on QVC in the early 90's and the jerseys sold on that show were the same as what's being offered on ebay. As to who would have ordered them from Rawlings, it would have been either QVC or Scoreboard. The athletes would have been paid to sign and promote them.

One final note, the jerseys that have been listed recently on ebay are Scoreboard/QVC jerseys nothing is going to change that no over- enhanced descriptions, no maybe this or maybe that, no amount of fanciful speculation. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by lon lewis View Post
    ..As to who would have ordered them from Rawlings, it would have been either QVC or Scoreboard. The athletes would have been paid to sign and promote them.
    if ordered from rawlings by either qvc or scoreboard, i still "don't understand" why these were pro-spec jerseys. at the time, rawlings had retail offerings. i've seen the scoreboard cert for the canseco jersey and it was merely billed as an "autographed jersey". i can't imagine qvc/scoreboard explicitly placed orders for "game-issued style" jerseys nor can i understand why rawlings went to all of the extra lengths to make up such shirts, complete with strip tags, when retail jerseys would've sufficed.

rudy.

if ordered from rawlings by either qvc or scoreboard, i still "don't understand" why these were pro-spec jerseys. at the time, rawlings had retail offerings. i've seen the scoreboard cert for the canseco jersey and it was merely billed as an "autographed jersey". i can't imagine qvc/scoreboard explicitly placed orders for "game-issued style" jerseys nor can i understand why rawlings went to all of the extra lengths to make up such shirts, complete with strip tags, when retail jerseys would've sufficed.

rudy.
    Rudy....It's called marketing. If it was just a retail jersey, it would not have sold as much from Scoreboard. Scoreboard had deals with the big and ex MLB stars, and Rawlings was the MLB supplier of the jerseys.Ask Lon.

lon that makes no sence at all. why in the world would dick dobbins be selling score board jerseys and why would the giants have these jerseys to begin with if they were issued to score board or qvc and then have dick offer them. were they offered as issued jerseys with giants c.o.a. this is why these jerseys keep baffling people. the score board jerseys according to members on here were pro-tagged jerseys. i didn't think that anyone could just order pro-tagged jerseys fron rawlings. i thought that would be a contract violation with mlb as there supplier. also if the team or player wasn't ordering these jerseys for willie. what is he wearing in all those pictures of him at opening day,world series,and old timers games during this time period. some say willie was never an instructor for the giants. but according to the press and willie he was. still very confusing!