Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: McGwire to be Cards new hitting coach??

Quote Originally Posted by Bondsgloves View Post
    Why? Cardinals Why?

Won't this be a distraction? The questions are still going to be asked about steroids because they were never answered.

What can McGwire possibly bring to the table. Is going to help Pujols how to avoid the steroid issue when you get caught?

I think this is just a mater of friend giving a friend a job.
    Not only will this move help in signing holliday but it is a great chance for McGwire to get back in the game. Hopefully he will address the issues needed early and it will have calmed down by season start. McGwire has helped several hitters already during offseason and west coast trips. He was highly regarded as a teacher of the game during his playing days like Greg Maddux is for pitching. McGwire helped mentor a young Pujols in 2001. He has respect that far surpasses a guy like Hal Mcrae. This is a good move for the cardinals and baseball as long as it gets handled the right way. Big Mac helped save the game now stop hating and give it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    I am going to cover some of the concerns brought up by the posts I have seen about Mark becoming hitting coach:

Big Mac's career batting average has nothing to do with his ability to coach and help players. McGwire's approach as a player was not to put the ball in play with 2 strikes...He was paid to hit homeruns and that is exactly what he did...he hit a hr once every 10 at bats. This is an incredible statistic. Although this was his personal approach this doesn't mean he applies that to everyone else. McGwire teaches mental focus..if you remember watching mcgwire on deck he would close his eyes and invision his at bat. He teaches seeing and picturing mentally what you will take into your at bat. McGwire thought about pitching situations, tendencies of the pitchers, what he would do with each type of pitch. He passes that on along with hitting techniques such as balance( mcgwire maintained tremendous balance in his hitting). Mcgwire has a talent for teaching hitting both the mental aspects and recognizing physical aspects as well. I think the average thinks "oh mcgwire just hits Hr's he don't know nothing else"....when really there is much more that goes into the game. A great example of this is "tipped pitching". The pitcher giving indication of what he will throw by small movements such as change of grip, small flare of the glove. The people that can recognize this will always have a job in baseball even if they can't hit a pitch to save their life, him telling others that can use it makes all the difference in the world. I know several who had this ability who kept jobs on teams that otherwise would have had nothing. Throw any numbers to the side when discussing coaching. Great players can be horrible coaches....it's about the talent to teach.

2.) McGwire has not been proven guilty of anything....we can assume all we want but the fact is you are innocent until proven guilty. Or did we change that? Sure seems like it. I'll be the first to say I think he did. Truth is we can do that for anyone. If McGwire comes out and spills his guts about what happened it would probably be best for his reputation. McGwire is less worried about him he doesn't want to be asked about others...he knows teammates that did and many involved. He is the opposite of canseco wants no part in involving others. For this reason he has chosen to not talk at all. You know what he doesn't have to, there is no evidence to even discuss.

3.) Like him or not he was a huge part of bringing baseball back. As baseball fans we should move past the steroid controversy...we all love the game and it most likely would not be here the way it is today without big mac...

I was here in 1998 when the world was riding on Mac's jock strap, hounding and harrassing him every step of the way. People KNEW back then that he was probably taking steroids, and it was reported DURING the record season.

However, we forgave it for his HR chase (most of us). All of a sudden after his career has ended, people want to come out and riun the dude for a mistake he made - if he made one at all.

At his best, he was one of the premier power hitters in the game, a legend. Not many of us can say that we are one of the best in the whole world at the job we do...just as not many of us can say we have never done something we regretted at one time or another.

He obviously still has a passion for the game - and if that's the case, maybe he can use his great baseball mind to teach the next generation of great players what to do - and what NOT to do.

He has guts to come back and face the music in STL.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    I was here in 1998 when the world was riding on Mac's jock strap, hounding and harrassing him every step of the way. People KNEW back then that he was probably taking steroids, and it was reported DURING the record season.

However, we forgave it for his HR chase (most of us). All of a sudden after his career has ended, people want to come out and riun the dude for a mistake he made - if he made one at all.

At his best, he was one of the premier power hitters in the game, a legend. Not many of us can say that we are one of the best in the whole world at the job we do...just as not many of us can say we have never done something we regretted at one time or another.

He obviously still has a passion for the game - and if that's the case, maybe he can use his great baseball mind to teach the next generation of great players what to do - and what NOT to do.

He has guts to come back and face the music in STL.
    Everyone is quick to judge and belittle a guy who resurrected the game. Everyone has made mistakes and while we assume Mcgwire made the mistaking of using roids among many of the games best from the generation we still don't know. Nobody has a positive test nor records that are damning. As a baseball fan I welcome him back and as a Cardinal fan I am very happy to see he his back contributing to this organization.

Who cares what he did or didnt do, he made the game exciting again. Brought a lot of interest back to the game. Im glad to see him back, I hope he does the annual Winter Warmup.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dnrapp View Post
    You got your time frame wrong. McGwire hepled Holliday in the off season as well as Bobby Crosby. Holliday slumped badly to start the season while trying to use the points that McGwire gave him. Holliday only started to hit once he went back to his old Colorado hitting approach.
    Where do you get your faulty info brotha? The Obama admin? As I stated earlier Mac has been helping Holliday since 2006.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...?urn=mlb,45897

Quote Originally Posted by whatupyos View Post
    Where do you get your faulty info brotha? The Obama admin? As I stated earlier Mac has been helping Holliday since 2006.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...?urn=mlb,45897

Mac added the leg kick? Wow - that seems to be a big part of his swing right now. Doesn't look like he's stopped using that (leg kick) one bit.
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post
    Mac added the leg kick? Wow - that seems to be a big part of his swing right now. Doesn't look like he's stopped using that (leg kick) one bit.
    Big Mac wanted to change a few things in Hollidays swing to make him more balanced. He wanted him to change the high leg kick because it is not a great way to maintain balance. No hitting coach would teach it. But ultimately Holliday went back to the high leg kick because he felt comfortable doing it. Some habits are tough to break and they just end up going back to them. It happens a lot....Mac just wanted to see him change because it would lead to more consistent balance. Look at a guy like Pujols, picks the foot up puts it back down. This allows him to sit back on offspeed. So to answer any questions Mac tried to change the leg kick but ultimately holliday went back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by whatupyos View Post
    I hope he comes back. I can't wait!! He's helped Holliday and Skip Schumaker (sp?). They're both over .300 hitters. He was a great mental student of the game. Just because he wasn't a .300 hitter doesn't mean he can't teach it to others. I would love to see my boy back in the game. I hope he comes back and he's treated fairly.

Aaron

he also worked with Bobby Crosby and being an A's fan you should be painfully aware how well that worked out

Good riddance, have fun in Japan cause I am pretty sure thats the only place thats gonna offer him money to play next year.

Back on topic, I personally think its a bunch of cr@p that he just gets a job handed to him. There are tons of guys busting their butts working their way up through the ranks and Mac just gets a job handed to him because of his name thats BS IMHO.

Should have spent less time in the batting cage and more time shagging fly balls for Holliday. He is a future first baseman, got to be one of the worst fielding outfielders in the game today.

Quote Originally Posted by Rboitano View Post
    Should have spent less time in the batting cage and more time shagging fly balls for Holliday. He is a future first baseman, got to be one of the worst fielding outfielders in the game today.

+10000000000000000