Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: McGwire to be Cards new hitting coach??

Quote Originally Posted by Rboitano View Post
    Should have spent less time in the batting cage and more time shagging fly balls for Holliday. He is a future first baseman, got to be one of the worst fielding outfielders in the game today.
    I believe that was his first error with the cardinals(the infamous play). He actually is considered a very solid fielder in baseball. He doesn't have a flashy glove but is very solid with a good throwing arm.

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandAsFan View Post
    he also worked with Bobby Crosby and being an A's fan you should be painfully aware how well that worked out

Good riddance, have fun in Japan cause I am pretty sure thats the only place thats gonna offer him money to play next year.

Back on topic, I personally think its a bunch of cr@p that he just gets a job handed to him. There are tons of guys busting their butts working their way up through the ranks and Mac just gets a job handed to him because of his name thats BS IMHO.

Here's the thing...no he does not have experience and others have worked hard, but you have obviously never worked with a big league hitter . McGwire has repect among those players that no one else "working their butts off" have. Joe Schmo who worked in the minors for 12 years just has no credibilty with someone like mmhhmmm Albert Pujols. McGwire can approach anybody in that dugout and offer advance to an attentive listener...very tough to find. Rudy Jaramillo has that respect, few others..Add Mark to that list now.

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandAsFan View Post
    he also worked with Bobby Crosby and being an A's fan you should be painfully aware how well that worked out

Good riddance, have fun in Japan cause I am pretty sure thats the only place thats gonna offer him money to play next year.

Back on topic, I personally think its a bunch of cr@p that he just gets a job handed to him. There are tons of guys busting their butts working their way up through the ranks and Mac just gets a job handed to him because of his name thats BS IMHO.

Well, it may be BS.....But what it really is is yet another flagrant indication of why I can't stand Tony LaRussa. The guy is twisted between the ears.

He has made a living managing teams loaded with some of the most juiced players in the history of the game. McGwire, who I have already stated that I just can't help like because of the 1998 spectacle with Sosa (it was a shot in the arm for baseball.....unfortunately more literally than figuratively), not to mention his great personality and disposition, is his boy. Now? LaRussa comes out now and says that he still believes Mark is "The product of hard work. He's as big as ever, he works out everyday."

Are you KIDDING me LaRussa? I mean, is this guy really fooling anyone? I don't think anyone in the world believes LaRussa is truly that ignorant. The FBI has obtained documented proof that McGwire was using steroids way back in the early '90s, so what's LaRussa doing playing dumb in 2009??

Because McGwire is his boy. Some things never change. And all this does, his standing up for Mark, coupled with the continued avoidance of addressing the issue that everyone already knows happened, just makes them both look selfish, silly, and less appealing to fans that would like to just see the burial of the steroid issue. God, I wish Mark would just come out already and get it off his chest.....tell everybody the truth, what he used, why he did it (to recover from chronic injuries, etc.) I personally don't believe McGwire did steroids for the sole intention of "cheating". He would have a much better chance of making the Hall if he would come clean. As it stands now, he has NO chance.

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    Well, it may be BS.....But what it really is is yet another flagrant indication of why I can't stand Tony LaRussa. The guy is twisted between the ears.

He has made a living managing teams loaded with some of the most juiced players in the history of the game. McGwire, who I have already stated that I just can't help like because of the 1998 spectacle with Sosa (it was a shot in the arm for baseball.....unfortunately more literally than figuratively), not to mention his great personality and disposition, is his boy. Now? LaRussa comes out now and says that he still believes Mark is "The product of hard work. He's as big as ever, he works out everyday."

Are you KIDDING me LaRussa? I mean, is this guy really fooling anyone? I don't think anyone in the world believes LaRussa is truly that ignorant. The FBI has obtained documented proof that McGwire was using steroids way back in the early '90s, so what's LaRussa doing playing dumb in 2009??

Because McGwire is his boy. Some things never change. And all this does, his standing up for Mark, coupled with the continued avoidance of addressing the issue that everyone already knows happened, just makes them both look selfish, silly, and less appealing to fans that would like to just see the burial of the steroid issue. God, I wish Mark would just come out already and get it off his chest.....tell everybody the truth, what he used, why he did it (to recover from chronic injuries, etc.) I personally don't believe McGwire did steroids for the sole intention of "cheating". He would have a much better chance of making the Hall if he would come clean. As it stands now, he has NO chance.
    We will see how he handles it. I think we can all agree him coming clean would be best for him. As far as Larussa's comments....I think what he means is that McGwire worked his ass off and is still big to this day ( showing that he was going to be built steroids or not with his work ethic). McGwire was among the first to work in the weight room and practically lived in there. With him saying he his a Product of hardwork its a way of saying it wasn't the steroids that made him what he his. He knows what took place but Mac hasn't talked about it so this was a way for him to show support for McGwire. Love or hate Tony he has a hall of fame body of work. He had guys that used steroids and so did every other manager in the league at some point.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post

Steve-

I respect your opinion. To be fair, they're both (McGwire and LaRussa) stand up guys in most peoples opinion. I had the priviledge of meeting both of them at different times. I have endless stories of how humble they are. What's wrong with La Russa sticking up for his boy? I stick up for mine, at any cost, unless it involves murder or some sick disgusting deed. Say as just an example, you had a son who did something others didn't approve of. You'd get his back. That's all Tony is doing. We all make mistakes, some more than others, some not so harmful, others more.

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by whatupyos View Post
    Steve-

I respect your opinion. To be fair, they're both (McGwire and LaRussa) stand up guys in most peoples opinion. I had the priviledge of meeting both of them at different times. I have endless stories of how humble they are. What's wrong with La Russa sticking up for his boy? I stick up for mine, at any cost, unless it involves murder or some sick disgusting deed. Say as just an example, you had a son who did something others didn't approve of. You'd get his back. That's all Tony is doing. We all make mistakes, some more than others, some not so harmful, others more.

Aaron
    This is a good rebuttal....and judging by your answers, you are familiar with both guys.

To some of the others...

I forgave Manny for taking PED's - and lying about them...he did his time, suffered the humiliation and came back to face the music. He has MUCH more to lose than Mac ever did. A-Rod too...people can forgive them, and we move on.

Mac NEVER DENIED using PED's. He has served his exile, and knows the consequences of coming back to baseball. There are going to be fans that jeer him, etc. He's apparently willing to stand up to it. Not many people could do that and effectively coach. It's going to be a hard road, but let the guy handle it without speculating on his demise.

For those who think he's not a good guy to be teaching hitters (.263 average) - he was very capable of hitting .300 - and did so a few times in his career. He was one of the few guys who re-invented his approach at the plate. When he was locked in - you could not put a pitch in the zone without him hammering it.

Give him some time, see how he does, see what the players say...then pounce on him and say "I told you so".
    Dave
    Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
    River City Redbird Authentics
    http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron, bigtruck, & others,

Let me do my "Obama" pathetic immitation for just a second.....

"Let me be perfectly clear".....

I like Mark McGwire, always have. I just wish the dude would address the 800lb. gorilla that will not get off his back until Mark himself decides he's had enough. EVERYONE KNOWS, Mark.....just get it out and over with already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Let the healing begin, and you'll make your Hall of Fame.

I also know Tony LaRussa is a fine manager. But the "playing dumb" routine while playing the "work ethic" card doesn't do it for me. Again, and along the same vein, that kind of sweeping-under-the-rug approach just makes me lose respect for the guy. But he is a Hall of Famer when it's all said and done......if he avoids picking up any more DUI's

Lastly, I have no problem with LaRussa sticking up for Mark. It's a comaraderie thing.....a guy he went to battle with.....that's what it's all about. But these two guys should accept the fact that it's all but written in scripture....we KNOW what happened. Just take your medicine, let it out, and let's all move on.

I have quite a few Mark McGwire game used items. I have one of his rookie home run balls (one of the rookie record 49), I have his 18th from 1998, signed and inscribed by him, and another later home run (I believe #540, also signed). I would have bought his last career homer #583 which came up for auction, but I didn't have the funds available at the time.

Trust me, Mark will always be a special player in the annuls of baseball history, and to me as a collector. That's just one more reason why I wish he would end the silence. He's is taking a risk coming back with KONG on his back. If he doesn't end the silence, things may get worse for him. If he does, there is absolutely NO doubt in my mind he will be forgiven, welcomed back with open arms, and back as a deeply rooted member of MLB as a hitting coach, loved by all who see him in ballparks across the nation.

I guess we'll see.....one way or the other.

Welcome Back "Big Mac!"

Side "LaRussa" note for you guys.....

In 1974, my cousin Gary Robson, pitching for the 1974 Rochester Red Wings, the AAA affiliate for the Orioles, with Doug DeCinces as his third baseman and facing Kent Tekulve as the opposing pitcher (later of Pittsburgh Pirates fame, the "submarine" pitcher)....pitched a perfect game.

It was the first (and only) perfect game ever pitched for the Red Wings.

Tony LaRussa was the second basemen behind Tekulve.

In his two at bats against my cousin......LaRussa struck out twice.....

Quote Originally Posted by whatupyos View Post
    Where do you get your faulty info brotha? The Obama admin? As I stated earlier Mac has been helping Holliday since 2006.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/rumors/p...?urn=mlb,45897

You stated that McGwire helped Holliday break out of his slump while he was in Oakland. Here is the story about them working together this past off season
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3976320