Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: OT: 30 for 30 on ESPN: "Without Bias"

Quote Originally Posted by suicide_squeeze View Post
    All I am saying is that I am sick and tired of this liberal attitude, saturated in society, that is ruining the world we live in. And that's coming from a guy who is NOT that conservative. I am a middle of the roader.
    You're not that conservative?!?!
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Best emoticon. Ever

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    It's genetics, not character, that determines drug use/abuse. Talk to former addicts and you will find out. Many are good people that did things that led to horrible outcomes. I always feel badly when people die...even if it's due to drugs.

I do too. I feel badly. I really do.

But I can't find myself asking "Why?" Or thinking how tragic it was.....how unbelievable it must be for the family.....how terrible it is for the fans who lost a star.......when that person of interest took drugs which caused the disaster.

It's old news. Figure it OUT already. Drugs kill users, not "genetics". Len Bias' heart didn't stop because of "genetics".

Just like accidents kill. Not lack of "warning labels". Somewhere in time we lost our strength as a society to accept the pitfalls in life, and we started turning our sorrows to expensive attorneys who have f'ed up our entire existences. We have sacrificed "responsibility" with "judgements". Great. Nice.

And you all wonder why paying for insurance has become burdensome?

Figure it out, society, before it's too late. It's old already.

It's old news. Figure it OUT already. Drugs kill users, not "genetics". Len Bias' heart didn't stop because of "genetics".
    Just like accidents kill. Not lack of "warning labels". Somewhere in time we lost our strength as a society to accept the pitfalls in life, and we started turning our sorrows to expensive attorneys who have f'ed up our entire existences. We have sacrificed "responsibility" with "judgements". Great. Nice.[/quote]

Why does everything need to be about a nebulous notion of responsibility? For me, rather than judging people, it makes more sense to ask why this is happening, and realize that complex factors lead to drug use and abuse. As you may or may not realize, addiction has a biological basis.

That's not to say that there aren't other factors involved. Societal attitudes toward drugs play a part in this, as do people's past history of addiction and mental illness. You keep clinging to concepts like "responsibility", yet you have not explained why we have the kind of agency that your notion of responsibility is predicated upon.

I don't see any evidence that society is going to hell. Things are just fine in America.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Just like accidents kill. Not lack of "warning labels". Somewhere in time we lost our strength as a society to accept the pitfalls in life, and we started turning our sorrows to expensive attorneys who have f'ed up our entire existences. We have sacrificed "responsibility" with "judgements". Great. Nice.
    Why does everything need to be about a nebulous notion of responsibility? For me, rather than judging people, it makes more sense to ask why this is happening, and realize that complex factors lead to drug use and abuse. As you may or may not realize, addiction has a biological basis.

That's not to say that there aren't other factors involved. Societal attitudes toward drugs play a part in this, as do people's past history of addiction and mental illness. You keep clinging to concepts like "responsibility", yet you have not explained why we have the kind of agency that your notion of responsibility is predicated upon.

I don't see any evidence that society is going to hell. Things are just fine in America.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

I need a drink.

No.......several

I need a drink.

No.......several
    You're ignoring my points and assuming that concepts like responsibility are a given. They are not. For the amount of Frik-bashing you do, I would think that you would have composed an intelligent response to my question.

Your modus operandi is to call me stupid, say I am impervious to ratiocination, etc. Yet you have shown little capacity to respond seriously to a thing I am saying. Instead of just spewing about how the world is going to hell, present a cogent argument. It's not too much to ask.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

You're ignoring my points and assuming that concepts like responsibility are a given. They are not. For the amount of Frik-bashing you do, I would think that you would have composed an intelligent response to my question.

Your modus operandi is to call me stupid, say I am impervious to ratiocination, etc. Yet you have shown little capacity to respond seriously to a thing I am saying. Instead of just spewing about how the world is going to hell, present a cogent argument. It's not too much to ask.
    The Louisville Slugger jury verdict rendering, the shootings which are becoming a daily occurance, the political environment, the wars, and your reasoning ability have all proved my point. What left is there to argue?

How can I present an "argument" when I have no idea what the hell you are talking about? What "agency" is it you keep referring to? I mean, please, let's just forget the whole thing.

Tim Lincecum is a great guy, OK? Enjoy the squirrel.

How can I present an "argument" when I have no idea what the hell you are talking about? What "agency" is it you keep referring to? I mean, please, let's just forget the whole thing.
    Wikipedia is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agency_%28philosophy%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure_and_agency
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Thanks for a sensible and well expressed post. And you hit the nail on the head.....it was a painful "life lesson".

But how many "life Lessons" do we all need to be exposed to OVER and OVER and OVER again before the words get through?

Here ya go, people.....coming from the evil bad heartless duschebag drama queen (what have I forgotten.........) forum member....

IF you WANT TO DO DRUGS........it will ALL END BADLY. You will join the ranks of somewhere along the line, and lose everything, maybe even your LIFE.

Now, Nate......where's the bong party tonight? I'll bring the lighter.....

HEY MODS!! Why was my post removed, when ones like this remain?? I have been a long-time member of this forum, outlasting everybody who was here when I first came on, so I think I deserve an explanation: In what way does this post support the purpose of the forum? Why is Squeeze any different from Joel Alpert? Oh, wait, you guys wouldn't do anything to him when he repeatedly broke rules, either.

Ken
    earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com