Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Jerry Grote 1973 in Legendary Auctions Nov.

Any thoughts on the Jerry Grote jersey in the Nov. Legendary Auction? I am pretty sure that the Mets used NEW YORK on the away jersey in 1973 and changed to METS in 1974.

Re: Jerry Grote 1973 in Legendary Auctions Nov.

Do you have a link to the item? I could probably tell you a great deal about the jersey if I were to take a look.

Also, why raise it to the forum 4 days after the auction completed?
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cbb5 View Post
    Any thoughts on the Jerry Grote jersey in the Nov. Legendary Auction? I am pretty sure that the Mets used NEW YORK on the away jersey in 1973 and changed to METS in 1974.
    I saw the item while scanning for database images. The jersey was sent to the minor leagues for additional use....the fate of the majority of 1972-73 Wilson mets road gamers in our hobby. It was in the minors that the NEW YORK front was changed to the scripted METS. An original NEW YORK front is a condition rarity in this hobby, and the ones I've encountered are mostly coaches or high numbers. The minor league front or a restored NEW YORK are far more frequently encountered.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Thanks Dave! Makes sense. I have seen three away jerseys (Berra, Mays and Grote). Two of the three have Mets and the third looks to have a restoration. The tagging looks good on all three so I suspected something was up with the front being modified.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

dave.. i have a 72 mets road that was sent down, u can see the outline of new york but u can also see the outline of a large capital letter B any idea what the "b" was? binghampton? thanks, jeff i guess thats where they went after the season...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flaco1801 View Post
    dave.. i have a 72 mets road that was sent down, u can see the outline of new york but u can also see the outline of a large capital letter B any idea what the "b" was? binghampton? thanks, jeff i guess thats where they went after the season...
    Let me see if I can dig up an answer.

Dave M.

Banned

I checked the Baseball Reference website. The Mets had a short-season Class A team in Batavia (NY-Penn League) in 1974...that might be your answer.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

thanks dave... wonder why they put "mets" back.. ya think they were then sent onwards again? to a higher class? just a guess.. this was bought from hartell ages ago. thanks again dave.