Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Differences of a Salesman's Sample Jersey

If I had a salesman's sample of a baseball player's jersey would I be able to tell the difference from a game used jersey of the same player? I don't have this problem but what should I look out for?

Re: Differences of a Salesman's Sample Jersey

my first response is that a salesman's sample shouldn't show any use whereas a game used jersey should. i suspect you're probably looking for an answer which provides for the possibility that someone may have manufactured use on a salesman's sample.

i think salesman's samples stem from 2 legit purposes; one is that they're made as prototypes for a manufacturer trying to win a contract from a team. hence the manufacturer creates a "sample jersey" to show prospective clients (teams) their work. in this case, if the manufacturer fails to win a contract with the team, then it'd be fairly easy to spot the salesman's sample - it'd be the wrong manufacturer for the year/time period. depending on how realistic the manufacturer wanted to make the prototype, you may also see tagging and fonts that never actually ended up being used.

the second purpose presents a trickier situation. i believe there've been instances where a manufacturer would create jerseys to present them as business gifts to VIPs, big patrons, etc. in this case, i'd look at the size and any player-unique customizations such as extra length, custom sleeves, etc. a salesman's sample would likely be missing these latter elements. other than that, i'd really try to ascertain whether the game use looks fabricated or legit.

rudy.

Kingjammy24 back in town. Thanks. Hey Rudy,look at current items for bid and weigh in on the Steiner/heilman,"Does this label look O.K." thread.
    Robert

here's a nice example of a modern salesman's sample:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230013988846

rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4
    Kingjammy24 back in town.
    This is very nice to see.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

What separates "salesman's samples"from G/U?

I understand that salesman samples are mostly made exhibiting a star players' name and from companies different from what the team is actually using(hense the salesman).
    So, a jersey displaying the correct label(for the team)that year is automatically NOT a saleman's sample?

Re: What separates "salesman's samples"from G/U?

From what I can tell there are salesman samples jerseys and rings. From what I've seen at auction the tagging should be different on a salesman sample although there have been instances where people have doctored these. Alot probably depends on what era you are looking at. Dave Grob is the expert on everything jersey wise so check out mearsonline.com and see if any of those articles help you out.

Thanks for Mears site info. Not to beat a dead horse, but the jersey I have in mind, to eliminate from being a salesman's sample is the recent Brett jersey I've recently on a previous thread. To the point for this topic though,this label appears to be not altered and also bearing the correct label for that period.
    The only confirmation I need(and a telltale factor on salesman's sample I also believe) is the size for the player that year. A salesman's sample wouldn't neccessarily be accurate as to size ) I see 44 for Brett elsewhere is that what other Brett collectors see also?

Quote Originally Posted by Swoboda4 View Post
    I understand that salesman samples are mostly made exhibiting a star players' name and from companies different from what the team is actually using(hense the salesman).
    So, a jersey displaying the correct label(for the team)that year is automatically NOT a saleman's sample?
    Not necessarily. I have seen salesman's samples done by manufacturers who are already making the jerseys for a specific team. These generally are variations of the current team's jersey that most likely do not catch on -- sort of like a prototype.

Two examples I can think of are:

1. A Tom Glavine BP that is presently on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Tom-Glavine...item3ef94a3e91
    This is a 2003-2004 jersey made by Majestic who were already doing all of the jerseys for MLB at the time but a style that the team never went with. One thing to note; it's a star player jersey.
    Here is what the one they eventually went with looked like:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

2. A 1987 Mets BP done by Rawlings. Another star player jersey (Gary Carter). See the 2 photos attached; the first is a salesman's sample / prototype containing white in the team logo, and the second is what the team eventually went with. Worth noting is that both the real and the salesman's sample (I have both) are same size, same tagging, same player customizations. If you didn't know all of the details of what style they wore on field, you wouldn't know the difference based on manufacturer and tagging.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Now that we're on this topic, there is one thing I haven't quite figured out. Back in 1983, Wilson seems to have churned out a lot of salesman's sample jerseys. All seem to be in size 42, star players of course, and no player number customization.

For example, I am sure you have seen many of these out there... Pete Rose Phillies road blue jersey. Made by Wilson (who already had the team contract). Has a lower front tag denoting the year "83" but does not have the player number with the year as the game used jersey does (one would expect "14 83" for a Pete Rose jersey. Many of these are being sold over ebay as "game issued" but this is really not accurate.

Where did all of these jerseys come from, and what was their purpose? It couldn't have been for Wilson to bid on a contract held by another manufacturer.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com