Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: What's the greatest item you've ever seen for sale/at auction?

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSTIG View Post
    Being a Cubs fan I have seen quite a few in past auction results, here are a few....

Santo 1960 Road rookie jersey

http://legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=23637

And the others I cant find the auction links, but one was a Ryne Sandberg game used Rawlings glove and the other is a Mark Grace game used Wilson glove.

All these items were before I got into the hobby in early 2006, or before I knew about the auction houses. The first year of collecting all I did was search ebay, and buy at the Cubs convention.

Someday these items will pop up again, and I know I wont be able to afford the Santo, the Sandberg & Grace gloves would be within reach.

There was just a Mark Grace glove on Ebay about 4 months ago. A former Cub middle reliever who wasn't in the bigs but a few years sold it for about $1200. Our timelines are about the same. Starting in 2006, and not knowing about the auction houses until recently. Most of my time is still spent on the Bay when it comes to this hobby.

I'm not sure if this is my all-time #1 but I think about it from time to time. Would be pretty dang awesome to own assuming it's legit:

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...Desc=0&period=

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    +1

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    What does "+1" mean ?

tjm - Thanks for the heads up. Man I am so mad I missed it. I would have paid more than $1,200 for it Do you remember the sellers ebay name?

Did anyone on here win it??

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSTIG View Post
    tjm - Thanks for the heads up. Man I am so mad I missed it. I would have paid more than $1,200 for it Do you remember the sellers ebay name?

Did anyone on here win it??
    Man, I'll tell you. He was a reliever from the early 90's and you'd know his name if you're a Cub fan like me. Can't remember it. The glove was legit, I just didn't want to drop that kind of dough. It was tough, because Mark Grace was my favorite player growing up. If you have any Grace stuff let me know. I only deal in Bears/Cubs stuff, so I know what's on the Bay that's worth mentioning.

tjm - shoot me an email so we dont overtake this thread going back and forth...

bigstig1@gmail.com

Thanks - Nick

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tjm5711 View Post
    Man, I'll tell you. He was a reliever from the early 90's and you'd know his name if you're a Cub fan like me. Can't remember it. The glove was legit, I just didn't want to drop that kind of dough. It was tough, because Mark Grace was my favorite player growing up. If you have any Grace stuff let me know. I only deal in Bears/Cubs stuff, so I know what's on the Bay that's worth mentioning.

Bob Patterson! That's his name ! I'm about 80 percent sure ! He sells used cars somewhere now, and said it was a gift from Grace to him after the '95 season. He was hurting for bread, that's why he sold it !

A piece that will forever haunt me - especially since I had the money at the time...

I was in St Louis for Christmas (visiting the parents who were living in St Charles at the time) in 1993.

I had just won $2,500 on the River Boat Queen and the (now ex) wife and I were going around checking out the Sports Card shops.

I don't remember which store it was, but he had an Original COMPLETE (Jersey, Hat, Pants, Belt and Stirrups) Cuban X Giants NEGRO LEAGUE Uni that had been seigned by the entire team. Could have been mine for a song - $750. A lot of money in 93, but just a drop in the bucket with what authentic Negro League stuff brings now...

- Chris

I don't know if anyone else said this item.As i did'nt read all the post on here.So forgive me if it's been mentioned.I would'nt call it the greatest but i would call it the most unique rare strange item i have seen offered in auction.And that would have to be for sure this auction house (don't remember which one as it's been years).But they advertised in the old scd.Which by the way used to be the greatest as it was me and my brothers favorite magazine to read.But anyway,they were auctioning off a liqueur store receipt signed by len bias the night he passed away.It was date stamped and signed on the back of it.I don't remember any details of the price or anything.But me and my brother still to this day still talk about that item.

Quote Originally Posted by jobathenut View Post
    I don't know if anyone else said this item.As i did'nt read all the post on here.So forgive me if it's been mentioned.I would'nt call it the greatest but i would call it the most unique rare strange item i have seen offered in auction.And that would have to be for sure this auction house (don't remember which one as it's been years).But they advertised in the old scd.Which by the way used to be the greatest as it was me and my brothers favorite magazine to read.But anyway,they were auctioning off a liqueur store receipt signed by len bias the night he passed away.It was date stamped and signed on the back of it.I don't remember any details of the price or anything.But me and my brother still to this day still talk about that item.
    I remember that..In fact in the the ESPN "30 for 30" series, there is a documentary about Bias and they actually interview the Liquor Store owner and show the signed receipt.