Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Anyone have any cool stories about sports and your Dad?

I have so many fond memories involving sports with my dad, it's hard to know where to start. He worked his butt off to provide for us, but he always made the time to coach our baseball teams (I have one brother) and play APBA baseball (the old school board game). In the process, when he compiled the stats for our teams, he taught me how to figure them all out myself. As a young adult, I recall my frustration trying to relate to a friend how ERA is calculated. He just didn't get it and all I could think of was how lucky I was and am to have had an involved dad who took the time to teach me these things. He was and is an amazing role model. Although I don't have any kids of my own, I have always maintained that if I do, if I can do 1/2 the job my dad did with us, my kid is going to be a heluva lucky child...

Probably the most fond memory I have is all the birthday parties my parents arranged and the efforts my dad took to make these events awesome! Each year, I was allowed to invite 10 of my best friends to either a basketball or a football game. With all the risks (especially in the NYC area, where I grew up) there is absolutely no way I would do that these days. My dad seemed to love it and I think he took a lot of pride doing special things like that for us.

In 1980, I believe, I opted to attend the Jets vs. Saints game at Shea Stadium. The Jets were pretty grim. I think they went 4-12 that season, but the Saints were aweful beyond belief. They hadn't won a game to that point and the team was going through some severe cocaine problems with some of its "star" players, as documented in an SI article about a year later. We sat in the endzone bleachers and endured some brutal winter weather. Moreover, the Saints actually beat the Jets that afternoon, 21-20, if my memory serves me. It was the only game New Orleans won all season...

On the way home in our green, faux wood panelled Ford LTD, we broke down. At this point, it was snowing tons and in 1980, we didn't have cell phones to call for assistance. Including the 10 friends I invited, there were 13 of us altogether (including me, my brother and my dad), all crammed in the station wagon. We were eventually discovered and towed home, but it must've taken 3-4 hours before that happened. The most significant thing about the experience was how patient my dad was. We were a bunch of little buttheads and he endured our buffoonery without getting rattled once. Next time I talk with him, I'm going to remind him of this. I don't think he knows what an impact that day has had on me. Because he has done so many wonderful things for us, specific events get lost among them all.

Apologies to all the other great dads out there, but without any doubt in the world, I have been the beneficiary of having the greatest father ever to have raised children. Thanks dad!!!!!!!!!

I grew up in a large family (4 other brothers) where my father put work ahead of sports. My father was also clear that he wasn't really a baseball fan so having him at my baseball games was never anything special. Later in my teens we connected through football.

My father later in life became a health nut and excercise freak and plays tennis 3 to 5 times a week. His birthday was yesterday and is 79. The good news he is in great shape and now being retired can go to my kids games.

2 weeks ago we shared a special time. I took him to my 16 year olds Varsity football game. My son is a quarterback and cornerback but hurt his throwing shoulder so he played CB the whole game. He had an amazing game with 2 great interceptions and runbacks and several tackles. With his name called over the loudspeaker and students calling out my son's name and watching everyone pat my son on the back, my father enjoyed it as well as taking my son out for burritos after the game.

Maybe one of my kids will post on here about me and them as we have shared 100's of sports moments.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Quote Originally Posted by allstarsplus View Post
    I grew up in a large family (4 other brothers) where my father put work ahead of sports. My father was also clear that he wasn't really a baseball fan so having him at my baseball games was never anything special. Later in my teens we connected through football.

My father later in life became a health nut and excercise freak and plays tennis 3 to 5 times a week. His birthday was yesterday and is 79. The good news he is in great shape and now being retired can go to my kids games.

2 weeks ago we shared a special time. I took him to my 16 year olds Varsity football game. My son is a quarterback and cornerback but hurt his throwing shoulder so he played CB the whole game. He had an amazing game with 2 great interceptions and runbacks and several tackles. With his name called over the loudspeaker and students calling out my son's name and watching everyone pat my son on the back, my father enjoyed it as well as taking my son out for burritos after the game.

Maybe one of my kids will post on here about me and them as we have shared 100's of sports moments.
    Tell your dad happy birthday for me - we share the SAME birthday. Great that he is healthy. My dad is 70 and starting to slide a bit.
    ROBERT KOPPEL
    Skyking26 - 35 year collector of Dave Kingman memorabilia. Also seek 500 HR and 3000 Hit GU Bats,
    and 1968, 1984, HOF Tigers GU Bats...Skyking442@hotmail.com

When this thread originally popped up, I wanted to contribute with my own story. Although, I really didn’t know where to start. I was very fortunate growing up. My dad started his own business and was basically a workaholic, but he always made time to help coach my ball teams and come to my games. The greatest impression he left on me is one I realized as an adult with my own family. My dad used to plan a lot of our vacations around going to baseball games. My mom wasn’t a huge fan, and I can remember her always asking, “why do we have to go to the whole series?” My dad would always say that’s just what you do. So, a funny thing happened when my kids got to be three or four years old. Yep, we started planning our family vacations around following the Red Sox.

My dad’s favorite was Ted Williams. I heard the story through the years, but evidently Ted Williams sat down by my dad at the Muehlebach Hotel in downtown Kansas City and they struck up a grand ole conversation. As a WWII Air Force vet., my dad shared common ground with his military service and admired Ted Williams for being more than a ball player. He was a Teddy Ballgame fan for life. Needless to say, I saw my share of Red Sox games growing up.

I viewed my dad as a somewhat serious, strict, conservative man and father, but when we were in the ballpark, he turned into someone who was bigger than life. The sky was the limit for us when it came to concessions and souvenirs. He turned into a giant adult kid. When I walk in and see the green, hear the crack of the bat, and smell all the different smells of the park, it takes me back to some the greatest times in my life. I really hope that my kids see that side of me when we go to games. He obviously had a tremendous influence on why I love baseball. I lost him a few years ago, and miss him everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by reed1216 View Post
    I have so many fond memories involving sports with my dad, it's hard to know where to start. He worked his butt off to provide for us, but he always made the time to coach our baseball teams (I have one brother) and play APBA baseball (the old school board game). In the process, when he compiled the stats for our teams, he taught me how to figure them all out myself. As a young adult, I recall my frustration trying to relate to a friend how ERA is calculated. He just didn't get it and all I could think of was how lucky I was and am to have had an involved dad who took the time to teach me these things. He was and is an amazing role model. Although I don't have any kids of my own, I have always maintained that if I do, if I can do 1/2 the job my dad did with us, my kid is going to be a heluva lucky child...

Probably the most fond memory I have is all the birthday parties my parents arranged and the efforts my dad took to make these events awesome! Each year, I was allowed to invite 10 of my best friends to either a basketball or a football game. With all the risks (especially in the NYC area, where I grew up) there is absolutely no way I would do that these days. My dad seemed to love it and I think he took a lot of pride doing special things like that for us.

In 1980, I believe, I opted to attend the Jets vs. Saints game at Shea Stadium. The Jets were pretty grim. I think they went 4-12 that season, but the Saints were aweful beyond belief. They hadn't won a game to that point and the team was going through some severe cocaine problems with some of its "star" players, as documented in an SI article about a year later. We sat in the endzone bleachers and endured some brutal winter weather. Moreover, the Saints actually beat the Jets that afternoon, 21-20, if my memory serves me. It was the only game New Orleans won all season...

On the way home in our green, faux wood panelled Ford LTD, we broke down. At this point, it was snowing tons and in 1980, we didn't have cell phones to call for assistance. Including the 10 friends I invited, there were 13 of us altogether (including me, my brother and my dad), all crammed in the station wagon. We were eventually discovered and towed home, but it must've taken 3-4 hours before that happened. The most significant thing about the experience was how patient my dad was. We were a bunch of little buttheads and he endured our buffoonery without getting rattled once. Next time I talk with him, I'm going to remind him of this. I don't think he knows what an impact that day has had on me. Because he has done so many wonderful things for us, specific events get lost among them all.

Apologies to all the other great dads out there, but without any doubt in the world, I have been the beneficiary of having the greatest father ever to have raised children. Thanks dad!!!!!!!!!
    Nice story!

I wanted to bring this thread back up and share a story from this Christmas. This actually starts from the trip we took in October. I met Dolphins player Will Allen when we stopped at the Dolphins headquarters just to look around. That was the highlight of my weekend. We went to a Breast Cancer Awareness game the next day. For Christmas my Dad found me a pair of game worn Will Allen pink gloves. It's now my new favorite item in my collection!

Name:  100_1285.JPG
Views: 296
Size:  181.1 KB

Name:  100_1286.JPG
Views: 287
Size:  143.6 KB

Wow, this has got to be the best thread on the board. I thank each and every one of you for sharing your stories, I can see a little of me and my Dad in each and every one of them.

My Dad is the reason I love baseball and the Red Sox. Dad bought me packs of cards as a kid, spent countless hours playing catch with me and even umpired EVERY game I played in from the time I was 6 until I was 17, except for 2, which he was just a fan. And after that we umpired games together. The reason Dad umpired all my games is because one, he was a dam good umpire and two, he was impartial. He called me out on strikes a few times. Once I hit an inside the park home run and just beat the throw to the plate and Dad called me safe. A parent from the other team said to Dad that he was cheating. WOW, wrong thing to say! Dad is a super mellow guy, but that day he was ready to take on Satan himself! The other father decided to shut up and just sit down....good choice.

Last week, on Monday night, my Dad had a stroke. He has been in the hospital since, unable to move his right arm, unable to speak and unable to eat. Seeing my larger than life Dad like that has taken a toll on me and my Mom. But I am there with him every step of the way.

I was supposed to go to his house for Christmas, but since that couldn't happen, my wife and I took Christmas to him in the hospital. My Dad still collects cards, he loves ripping packs looking for autographs and game used cards.

Well, he really likes these packs Wal Mart carries that has 2 game used cards per box. I got him one to rip for Christmas knowing he likes them. He has ripped many of them, usually getting a white or gray jersey swatch. Well, on Christmas, I held the box steady on his stomach as he unwrapped it with his one good hand. And once he got it open, I opened the box and pulled out the 2 envelopes holding the jersey cards and held them as Dad opened the first envelope. No white swatch this time, Dad pulled a Greg Maddux patch card! Neither of us have ever seen a patch pulled from one of those boxes, so it was especially sweet. Then on to the next envelope...Dad pulls a Sammy Sosa patch! I had never see 1 patch pulled, never mind 2! Just to be there with Dad, help him open his present and see the happiness on his face was the BEST gift I could have ever asked for.

I know how most of you feel about "game used cards" but considering the situation, I thought the story was worth telling. Thanks for allowing me to share.

Tedw9- Great story. I hope he can recover soon

Jays1fan

I have only had 1 Sports related time WITH my DAD.
    In 1997 , I decided being a long time Jays fan , that it was time to go to Toronto to see the Blue Jays play live.
    And I ask my Dad to take the trip with me.
    He said ok , as long as we stopped by Niagara Falls on the way up. So , we took off on a Friday night and I drove strait through while he slept. We stayed a couple of hours at the falls then off to Toronto.
    We stayed at the Skydome Hotel inside the stadium.
    Very Cool, but they gave us a room with only 1 bed in it.
    ( So I got the Folding Cot and he got the bed )
    We saw 2 games ( Saturday and Sunday ). He bought me a Program which I still have to this day. Got to meet Dan Plesac who was from Indiana too & Got my 1st in person Autograph ( Plesac ).

I found out Yesterday that are moving my dad from the Hospital to a Hospus. The Cancer has spread and there are more complications. So Basically this is the end. I really dont think I would have went that 1st time in 1997 , if he would have said no. So I really wouldnt be the "Collector" I am today if it werent for that 1st trip. So thank you DAD !
    And I thank the person that started this thread.

JASONBANZ-Thanks for sharing the gloves.And for bringing this thread back.As i think it is one of those that are important to keep going.Me and you kind of started this talking about our dads.And i just have to say as i have shared that my dad passed away and now me and my one brother jason carry on the love for the yankees for him.As he had been a yankees fan since he was a kid and so have both me and my one brother.And i just wanted to share another moment if you don't mind.When the yankees won the world series this year.Me and my brother were not able to watch the game together as he could'nt get out of work.So i watched the game by myself.And when they recorded that final out i felt my dad right there with me and i started to cry.I know grown man crying,what a baby.But anyways,just then the phone rang and it was my brother and he was crying and the first thing he said was "i wish dad was here to enjoy this".And i told him "don't worry he is".And then laughed as i told him"right now they are telling him to hold the noise down in heaven".Anyway,jason treasure those moments as i said i treasure each moment i spent with my dad and would give anything to have one more moment with him.Great looking gloves and even greater story.
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonBanz View Post
    I wanted to bring this thread back up and share a story from this Christmas. This actually starts from the trip we took in October. I met Dolphins player Will Allen when we stopped at the Dolphins headquarters just to look around. That was the highlight of my weekend. We went to a Breast Cancer Awareness game the next day. For Christmas my Dad found me a pair of game worn Will Allen pink gloves. It's now my new favorite item in my collection!

Attachment 33184

Attachment 33185