Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: OT: Why do we collect?

Ok, I'll play along

1) What do you collect?
    Sami Salo jerseys, Matt Diaz jerseys, Top Tier Braves and Canucks Items, anything that really catches my eye. I sold off the majority of my last collections (comics, cards, toys, die cast) and I have cut down to my favorite 5/10 items from each.

2) Why do you collect?
    I was always interested in jerseys. As I got older, it went from replica to authentic to game worn. You can't get any more "real" than game worn. Having a 2 Salo jerseys that I saw him play in, is pretty cool. One was from my wife's first Canucks game so it become more meaningful than just a used shirt.

My old collections were initially to impress others to some extent and I was a kid so I can admit it. Having guys impressed that you own The Incredible Hulk #181 (First appearance of Wolverine) or Steve Yzerman's rookie card, makes you feel special when you are 14. As we grow up and learn everyone else opinion doesn't matter, we (hopefully) switch to the things we like and are meaningful to us.

I owned a die cast Dale Earnhardt Jr of every paint job he drove and had some prestige for it. Some were really valuable too. Then Action (the company that makes them) REISSUED all the valuable ones. Unlike a game worn jersey from a rookie season, a first printing of a comic or a rookie card, reissues and originals have no real differences in die casts. Most people just want to get the paint job for their collection. Luckily, I knew this and sold off my collection before the reissues came out. Now cars that sold easily on eBay for $500 in 2002, sell for $81 if you are lucky. The experience really reiterated the concept "Things are worth what you can sell them for, not what a price guide or you buy them for."

3) Do you display your collection?
    Yep. My best item is in a jersey case. I have a few jerseys on the wall and pucks, balls and gloves on the shelves. The rest is neatly folded and put away for when I can setup my man cave.

4) Are you collecting to complete or will you always add on to it?
    I hope to one day complete the player collections. However, as long as my teams keep playing, there will always be another guy to collect. Plus, the guys I grew up loving will one day be available at a price I can afford.

5) Would you buy an item just because you know other collectors would be impressed by it?
    If it fits the collection and I can afford it, I go for it. I'll admit having people say "Wow, awesome shirt!" or "Damn, look at that son. A real......" do make me feel happy. My player collections are pretty extensive and even if you don't like my player, most people are impressed by the diversity. I don't think I would buy something because someone else thinks it's cool but it's still nice that people are impressed by my hobby.

6) What would make you quit collecting?
    Losing interest in jerseys. I can see myself trimming the fat down to just the Diaz and Salo (and my Bure) Obviously if my wife or I needed the money to survive, almost nothing would be "Not for Sale"

7) Do you collect something because it will increase in value in the future?
    I have purchased items because they fit the collection and they were cheap. I also haven't purchased things that would be great because they were nowhere in the realm of market value.

I was burned by Jeff Francoeur when I purchased on "potential" resale value. Now I have 3 and couldn't sell all of them together for the price I purchased the first one for.

On the flip side, I bought the rarest Jimmie Johnson Die Cast Rookie car for $30 during his first Winston Cup season, knowing full well he would be something. It still sells around $150. The $500 I turned down for Dale Jr's Daytona 500 win? Yeah sells at $50 so...... whoops!
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

1) What do you collect?
    Over the years I have collected coins, 1st day covers, cards, comics, memorabilia and vintage toys. NOW, I still collect some cards, vintage memorabilia and just got back into comics including autographed art.

2) Why do you collect?
    I too love baseball and there's something about owning a piece that was used, signed, etc by a HOFer or your favorite player.

Yes... although my basement is unfinished, I have made it very usable by adding a large piece of carpet and 3 and 5 shelf bookcases from Wal-Mart as well as my mannequins, show cases, etc.

Certain parts I collect to complete (card sets - or 'player sets'... Jersey, Hat, AU Ball, Bat, etc) but I am always adding when certain pieces present themselves.

5) Would you buy an item just because you know other collectors would be impressed by it?
    No. I have built and purged my collection many times as it is always an evolving thing - but I never buy to impress... unless it's an item I want to own anyway.

Family, Health Issues, Monetary Issues, etc. I've completely purged twice before (divorce from 1st marriage and staying out of bankruptcy)... ultimately, I realize it's just stuff.

Yes and No. Yes because I want to be able to leave my son something of value (my mother and grandmother sold EVERYTHING of value in our family when 'antiquing' became vogue in the '70s and '80s) that he can keep and pass down or sell - his choice. He's not into baseball, but I do educate him on what is what and the value, etc. No because some things I collect just because I like them - regardless of their potential future value.

All the best -

Chris

1) What do you collect?
    I collect Jeff Bagwell game used items, such as bats, cleats, game-ready fielder's gloves, jerseys, and pants. Also, I collect oddball items, as well as rare and unique Bagwell baseball cards. There are a few other players' whose stuff I have, but due to lack of finances, I have to limit my collecting to my favorite former player.

2) Why do you collect?
    I collect to be closer to a game where I've always felt like an outsider. My idol, Bagwell, was able to do things I could never dream of, and collecting has brought me closer to his achievements.

Yes - My collection is displayed in my room back home in Mercer Island, Washington. Whenever I'm off at college, I think about selling my collection. However, when I get home, I realize why I have put time and energy into this game-used hobby.

I will always be adding to, subtracting from, and changing my collecting focus, as new items interest me. I would never say that my collecting is ever done.

Of course, I never buy an item to impress other collectors alone. However, having something to show off to others is pretty cool, but I could never say that that's the only reason I'd make a purchase.

News that Bags had raped little girls, killed elderly people, and was among America's most wanted.

Nope. I collect entirely for sentimental purposes.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

1) What do you collect?

Jerseys, bats, vintage and celeb autograph checks.

2) Why do you collect?

For the challenge.
    No.
    Once I completed one collection I always moved onto the next.

Defintely have it is human nature to seek bragging rights.

I quit because of oversupply of items starting to rival cards and autographs back in the day, players get hot/cold so fast in terms of popularity which will decrease values and I was tired of being ripped off by the big companies. I am keeping a handful of items if chance arises may add a handful of others. But the vast majority of my stuff is sold or will be.

I did that but it seldom worked out that way.

1) What do you collect?

I collect Yankee items, mainly gu bats but some gu jerseys of modern stars and players from my youth, as well as quite a few autographs. my collection currently consits of players that are or where at one time yankees.

2) Why do you collect?

Its simply a really cool hobby and im proud its my chosen vice.

My collection is currently on display but not many people get to see it (maybe im paranoid) but some do get to see the madness.

I will always add, every gu item is unique and everytime i see a bat with more use or a nicer auto i want it.

This one is easy, i buy items i can afford and that i know will impress me when i look at it.

A hardship in my life would probably do it but collecting is in my blood, my first "high priced item" i bought when i was 15 was not a car or anything like that, it was a gu bat.

When i buy items the only thing im thinking is "man i hope when i have to sell this thing i can get close to my money back" call me cheap but retail today wont be retail tomorrow.

1) What do you collect?

Anything Jim Eisenreich (now starting to sell most of it off), Red Sox bats and jerseys of common players, Civil War CDV's (photos) and possessions of one particular Union infantry regiment, random die-cast NASCAR 1:24 scale cars, any design of a Red Sox organization MiLB jersey that I don't already have, other interesting MiLB jerseys, favorite handguns and various long-guns, a collection of hundreds of liquor nips that I have stashed away somewhere, other odds and ends.

2) Why do you collect?

Tangible connection to MLB and history

Most of it. Not paper that is light-sensitive. Not the guns.

Always adding on as there's no one thing I'm that passionate about that I would consider it "complete".

Once or twice. Not for any credit to self but I enjoy the "wow" factor of certain die-hard collector items.

I eventually get bored quicker or slower with most everything. I've filled out hard-to-find card subsets, autograph runs, etc., filled them out totally then resold all of it off.

Again, once or twice I got lucky (especially with Civil War-related items), but due to my offbeat collecting niches I usually lose money on everything I have collected and resold. My investments in other areas pay off well enough to make up the difference.

Thanks for the survey, Joel!

1) What do you collect?

New York Yankees Autos, Yankees GU Bats, and Austin Jackson (former Yankees prospect)

2) Why do you collect?

I started long ago collecting baseball cards and it slowly spiraled out of control into game used.

NO, its all hidden in an my underground lair.

I always like adding new stuff, its always fun to track down the new "GEM" of your collection.

Nope, because what I like others may not. So, I mainly buy for my pleasure.

If my wife found out about my "collecting budget"

No way, most of the time items don't hold value. Hot players can become cold players in a heartbeat. I'd rather take my chances in the stock market.

we've had a lot of new members since this was asked. so i thought i would bump and see if other would please answer the questions. thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']1) What do you collect?
    [/FONT]
    [FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']Rookie and Rookie Autographed Baseball Cards; Alex Rodriguez Game Used Bats; and anything rare of Alex Rodriguez. [/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']

2) Why do you collect?
    First it was sports cards as a kid. Stopped collecting in 1978 (When I joined the Navy), and later started back up around 1984, when I was stationed in Pensacola, Florida (found a baseball card shop there by accident, and got hooked again). Then came across a Juan Gonzalez game used bat, bought it, and got hooked on game used stuff.[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']3) Do you display your collection?[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
    Yes. My bats are all displayed on the wall in bat cases; along with pictures, and various autographed items.

Slowed down on collecting cards, but am continuously looking for that well-used, game used Alex Rodriguez items (glove is my “must have”)[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']5) Would you buy an item just because you know other collectors would be impressed by it?[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
    No. It must be something I want[/FONT]

[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']6) What would make you quit collecting?[/FONT][FONT='Verdana','sans-serif']
    Don’t think I ever will ever quit. Slowed down at times, but the itch is always there. I love the surprise of that great find.

Yes and no. Sometimes I just love an item and buy it for the item; and something’s I buy with knowing it will have a potential increase in value.[/FONT]

Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

This is a fun thread.

1) What do I collect? I love history and some sports, so I collect items of historic interest, in sports as well as other areas. That includes old literature as well as game-used, team-used, or stuff autographed by historically-interesting people and events. That also includes personal history; important things from my life.

2) Why do I collect? My general love of history.

3) Do I display my collection? No, I keep it protected from sunlight and pull it out only when interested.

4) Do I collect to compete? No.

5) Would I buy to impress others? No, but I like showing or discussing with friends or other collectors.

6) What would make you want to quit? Death, or systematic authenticity issues in an area.

7) Do I collect to get items that will increase in value? No, but some things (non-sports) I got in the 70's and 80's have increased a lot. So I keep a file for my heirs, so they'll know the significance and value after I'm gone. A lot of the history and significance of an item is forgotten when it changes hands, so keeping some records might help future owners.