Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Did I just get the PUJOLS steal of the century?

... last but not least! There are more pics, but at least this gives everybody an idea of what the hat looks like and what I am dealing with here.

So, there ya have it! Thoughts? Discuss. Pick it apart or praise it. I need some experienced and well educated opinions on this one. ; )

Banned

Whatever it is, and short of a photo match (good luck on that one), I'd say Jeff and Rick have basically covered it.

For $50.00 bucks, it looks like you got a fan-used pro model retail hat bought in 2006 when the cards reached the World Series. Someone who knows Pujols "5" (obviously seeing the same pictures we have all seen of his hats) added it to the hat with the intentions of trying to take someone for a ride.

Enjoy the lid, and hold onto your dream. But without a signature, or some kind of identifiable COA from his charity...it is just a dream. No way a Pujols World Series worn lid gets out into public hands without provenance accompanying it. Not these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoozer View Post
    For $50.00 bucks, it looks like you got a fan-used pro model retail hat bought in 2006 when the cards reached the World Series. Someone who knows Pujols "5" (obviously seeing the same pictures we have all seen of his hats) added it to the hat with the intentions of trying to take someone for a ride.
    I wonder if STLHAMMER32 has seen and would like to respond to that ... ? Any thoughts or comments?

This thread may be going in the wrong direction as it was meant for opinions on the Pujols hat. Lets try and not get into any verbal wars that arent needed. I will address Schmoozers comments about his take on the hat....

As far someone adding the '5' to the hat and trying to take someone for a ride comment. I can't speak to whether or not the hat is an authentic gamer with 100% certainty... I can tell you though that it was not me who wrote it. When I looked the hat over it was consistent with all the Pujols hats I had seen. I knew it was a stretch for it to have been worn in the World Series and noted that I didn't think it was consistent for a game or two. The patch could have been added or it could have been an extra hat he got that was given to a family member much like the player model gloves you see past around. It was impossible for me to trace back to a good source and that is why I ultimately decided just sell it. In any case, your have a right to voice an opinion as it was the point of the thread I just hope that you are not implying I tried to take someone for "a ride".

The bottom line is that the authenticity of the hat does not look so good because of what was said regarding the two hats that were sold were signed and came from a reputable source. That doesn't mean you can dismiss Steel's hat in its entirety until there is some explanation from the man himself (Pujols) or someone within the organization that could go into further detail about the cap. It does help that the present owner does have an "in" with the organization, so best of luck with finding out what needs to be known. Nevertheless, it's probably not the hat, but much wasn't lost and you have a great opportunity to speak to Pujols or someone within the organization.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmoozer View Post
    But without a signature, or some kind of identifiable COA from his charity...it is just a dream. No way a Pujols World Series worn lid gets out into public hands without provenance accompanying it. Not these days.
    If the hat came with a COA, it still doesn't mean that the hat is real game used item. The COA is just a piece of paper someone could of switched with another hat.

Banned

STLHAMMER32,

I did not mean to insinuate you were the one who may have added the "5". There is no way of knowing anyone else did add the "5". It very well may have been added by Pujols.

I'm just stating the obvious, that it is highly unlikely because there is no provenance associated to the hat. That's all.

LastingsMilledge85,

Especially in our hobby, you shouldn't believe everything you are told. This guy whom the hat originated with has an "in" with the organization? Please. Ever heard of "heresay"? Show me the proof, or zip it, would be my response. Not to mention the fact STLHAMMER32 has stated that it has changed hands a few times. Did someone do a switch-er-roo? I mean, the chain of ownership is broken, thereby leaving the provenance in a total mess.

And in regards to your othercomment, even if the owner of this hat were to present it to Pujols in person, it is my experience that 999 out of 1,000 times, the athlete will claim they just don't know, or worse, the item is NOT theirs. So for Albert Pujols to be the one "hope" steelpenquin has to "authenticate" his $50.00 hat, is a wing and a prayer.

C'mon guys, think about it. Those hats were sold over the counter to anyone at the park or retail stores in 2006 when the cards made the big show. Without a Pujols signature and accompanying photos or charity paperwork, do you REALLY think this hat is HIS?

I would lay money on it that this hat is not Pujols' hat, but I don't want to bash the owner or former owner in thus case about having a false hat. I don't worry about it that often because when I buy, I only buy my player and do research before I buy. Anyway, yeah I would lay money on it that this isn't the hat, but I don't want to dismiss it in it's entirety. If he has in "in" great and take advantage of it and find out even if it's a waste of time. I just don't appreciate being told something that I said was false when I know what I said and saw. I do look into these things.

In reference to the COA just being a piece of paper, that is why with every item I obtain, whether it has it's own COA or not, I make one from my company (C Cubed Productions or Lumber Jack Bat Co.) which includes a info of how it was obtained, etc as well as photo(s) of the EXACT Item so it can be matched to the COA.

Where available, I include pics of me with the player who signed the item (or owned the item) WITH the item in the picture as well.

As an example, here's a pic of Holliday and I with the WS Hat after he personally verified and inscribed it for me:

I do wish you the best of luck on this hat, but like I showed on my Pujols Rookie hat earlier, the under bill shows plenty of sweat stains, but the 5 is still intact... the only real difference I could see to make that kind of sweat difference would be him wearing his hair even shorter know (almost shaved) than he did as a rookie. I know when I shave my head rather than buzz it, I sweat a WHOLE lot more in a wool ball cap...

All the best -

Chris