Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Re: Photo matched PR4192 Rose bat with surprise!!!!

The controversy that surrounds Pete is one of the reason he remains talked about as much as he has. It's the reason why young fans know the name Shoeless Joe as well..... If he had just been inducted to the hall of fame, there would be no need to debate it year in and year out. Pete has been able to take full advantage of the hot issues that have surrounded him.

I see really no reason for Pete to deny that he corked bats at the end of his career. We can discuss how using a corked bat only hurt his chances of getting hits anyway. It's something he likely experimented with and the advantage was all in his mind. This story will only bring Pete's name up more in the news. If I were his "people", I would tell him to just embrace it and hell somebody will probably offer another book deal and he can start signing balls "sorry I corked" at his signings for an extra Andrew Jackson.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by STLHAMMER32 View Post
    The controversy that surrounds Pete is one of the reason he remains talked about as much as he has. It's the reason why young fans know the name Shoeless Joe as well..... If he had just been inducted to the hall of fame, there would be no need to debate it year in and year out. Pete has been able to take full advantage of the hot issues that have surrounded him.

I see really no reason for Pete to deny that he corked bats at the end of his career. We can discuss how using a corked bat only hurt his chances of getting hits anyway. It's something he likely experimented with and the advantage was all in his mind. This story will only bring Pete's name up more in the news. If I were his "people", I would tell him to just embrace it and hell somebody will probably offer another book deal and he can start signing balls "sorry I corked" at his signings for an extra Andrew Jackson.
    Well said!

Banned

Here is a great pic of Pete I think in late '84 in the on deck circle.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by schubert1970 View Post
    Are you sure that this phot in reality was not actually taken in batting practice? It is possible that the bp pitcher suited up in Cubs gear to fully prepare the Reds for what they would be seeing that night.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Two different PR4192 bats were sold by big name auction houses? Was there evidence of cork?
    The first Rose corked bat was lot 1038 in the Dec 2005 Lelands auction. Bidding for this lot ended 29-Nov-05.

This bat later re-appeared as lot 82081 in Heritage Auction 716. Bidding for this lot ended on 2-Oct-09.

The second Rose corked bat was lot 800 in the Lelands auction that ended 21-Nov-08.

Quote Originally Posted by schubert1970 View Post
    OK. Good pic.

fyi, you can tell this is 1984 because Pete has a wrap on his right elbow.

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    I think he's a Pete Rose collector.
    Yes, I am a Pete Rose fan, researcher, collector, and collectibles checklister.

Quote Originally Posted by tacprc View Post
    The first Rose corked bat was lot 1038 in the Dec 2005 Lelands auction. Bidding for this lot ended 29-Nov-05.

This bat later re-appeared as lot 82081 in Heritage Auction 716. Bidding for this lot ended on 2-Oct-09.

The second Rose corked bat was lot 800 in the Lelands auction that ended 21-Nov-08.
    You are correct sir. You are a very good researcher.

ok read more and there were bats that were corked that went up for sale.

Here is the original listing of the bat in Leland mentioning cork in 2005.
    http://www.lelands.com/Auction.aspx/...-%28CORKED-%29

Couple of news cast reports.

http://www.wlwt.com/sports/23833800/detail.html
    http://www.kypost.com/dpps/sports/ba...bat%3F_4643002

I noticed that news on tv have higher standards of reporting than blogs.

I left an post on the Beckett blog asking if they know the date of the photo and what was the deadline for submitting photos for that Sept 1985 Beckett. Hopefully it gets a reply from Beckett. I dont think bloggers have editors that decide whether a story get published or not on the internet.
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Banned

Sometimes the simplest explination is the correct one.

I don't have much more to say so this will be my last post on this topic. After watching some television reports that reported very little and obiously dismissed the entire deadspin report (but had no problem using the x-ray pictures), I sent my comments to them and I wanted to share them with you.

Dear Mr. Broo

My name is Bill Schubert and I was the one who purchased the Pete Rose bat from Mr. Wolter.

I've seen two of your report pieces this evening about the bat in question. I think the question that should be asked to Rose is why are there now 6 verifiable PR4192 models around the country with cork (one person is a bat expert from PSA/DNA John Taube)? Did all of use do this to conspire against Pete? We don't even know each other. All of us came together through an on-line game used forum and consolidated our findings. With this in mind and my photo matched bat (unlike the Leland auction bat) being used in a game by Pete Rose in 1985, at some point logic tells you all this can't be a coincidence.

Sincerely,

Bill Schubert

Banned

Being a special year for Pete Rose How hard would it be to find video of the games?