Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Re: Photo matched PR4192 Rose bat with surprise!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by schubert1970 View Post
    I hate to do this Chuck because I do like Steve and believe he's an honest guy. This is another sentence from my LOA from Steve Wolter.

"We purchased the Rose Mizuno 4192 game used black bat from its only owner on 8/8/09."

Steve told you what he told you for whatever reason, I'm just letting you know what he has actually printed and signed on his LOA. How did he know this was the only owner? This doesn't answer the whole custody chain thing because if it was owned by 1 person or 20, there will always be an issue.

If Pete gave this bat to an MLB authenticator and I received it, you would still have an issue because the MLB authenticator could have corked the bat and passed it to me....this is why the custody argument is lame best.
    I don't know why he wrote that. Maybe because he didn't know the name of the guy from whom he bought the bat in 1995. Maybe he did some additional record-checking once this story blew up. Go ahead and call him and ask him. By the way, I was talking with Steve about a related matter his afternoon, and he unsolicited told me that deadspin got the chain of custody wrong. I have known Steve for the past 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyJohn View Post
    Wow.

No sooner is it syggested that you don't make unfounded accusations, you continue on the same path.

With all due respect, I'm fairly confident in saying your unfounded out-of-the-blue accusations backed by nothing more than your personal experience in handling and documenting Pete Rose items of interest, are starting to come off as a guy trying to bully his way into his 15 minutes of fame.

For a guy who checklist's "everything" Pete Rose, you have posted a few comments that lead one to believe you lack some basic knowledge of well publicized facts regarding Mr. Rose.

You question comments made by members here, contradicting yourself while doing so, then clarifying with "what I was referring to" type comments to squeeze out of the misstep.

There doesn't seem to be a point in the continuance of trying to argue a biased position from a guy hell-bent on supporting the reputation of a man who has some questions to answer. Pet Rose's reputation speaks for itself, and your trying to build the guy up as an unfairly picked-on Saint is misplaced. Legitimate questions about a very few select number of bats which have surfaced, backing statement made years ago by a guy who was as close to Pete as anyone could ever be. These bats have surfaced from different geographical locations, and from people who don't know eachother. There is photographic proof he used a bat that has turned up to be corked. I mean, I'm done. It's Pete Rose's turn.

I'll call to discuss. Thanks for emailing me.
    I can see why you have been banned from the forum in the past.

Let's skip the personal attacks, and stick to the facts.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tacprc View Post
    I don't know why he wrote that. Maybe because he didn't know the name of the guy from whom he bought the bat in 1995. Maybe he did some additional record-checking once this story blew up. Go ahead and call him and ask him. By the way, I was talking with Steve about a related matter his afternoon, and he unsolicited told me that deadspin got the chain of custody wrong. I have known Steve for the past 15 years.
    Do you think it's possible that Steve doesn't want to upset Pete? If Pete was mad enough at them he could claim their bat isn't the one that broke the record. Do you think Steve has any fear of this knowing Pete's past.

He signed his LOA with detailed information I see no reason to go back and have him reword we he really meant a year after the fact. Should I have him write another LOA because he has a different memory of facts now? Next time he should be more careful what he writes, before he pens his name if he wants his LOA's to have any meaning.

Once again chain of custody is a weak excuse. Here is my example again.....

If Pete gave this bat to an MLB authenticator and I received it, you would still have an issue because the MLB authenticator could have corked the bat and passed it to me.

Do you think it's possible that Steve doesn't want to upset Pete? If Pete was mad enough at them he could claim their bat isn't the one that broke the record. Do you think Steve has any fear of this knowing Pete's past.

He signed his LOA with detailed information I see no reason to go back and have him reword we he really meant a year after the fact. Should I have him write another LOA because he has a different memory of facts now? Next time he should be more careful what he writes, before he pens his name if he wants his LOA's to have any meaning.

Once again chain of custody is a weak excuse. Here is my example again.....

If Pete gave this bat to an MLB authenticator and I received it, you would still have an issue because the MLB authenticator could have corked the bat and passed it to me.
    Do what you want. If someone asks Steve about the LOA in the future, he'll likely say that what he meant to communicate is that on 8/8/09 Sports Investments repurchased the Rose Mizuno 4192 game used black bat from its only owner since Sports Investments originally sold it to him ten years earlier.

Also, I believe that Steve and Adam Wolter have an impeccable reputation in the hobby.

Also, my understanding is that Steve has documented the authenticity of his 4192 Hit bat and ball in every way possible, and Pete has publicly acknowledged on many occasions (and in several published articles) that he sold the bat and ball to Steve.

I take your point as regards chain of custody. Whoever receives a bat directly from Pete's hands could potentially cork it before selling it to another person -- but the corking would have to be consistent with the other known examples and the person would have to forge Pete's number 14 on the barrel end.

Banned

The Wolter family is the best and I've only bought my big ticket Pete items from them.

That being said we will need to agree that we disagree.

No sense in beating a dead horse, I'm sure the other forum members must be sick and tired of all this. Life goes on......

Bill

The Wolter family is the best and I've only bought my big ticket Pete items from them.

That being said we will need to agree that we disagree.

No sense in beating a dead horse, I'm sure the other forum members must be sick and tired of all this. Life goes on......

Bill

Hi Bill,

If you are going to end your thoughts on this thread, I just wanted to know if you were done collecting after this purchase. Thats what I read at least. Is that correct?
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

I dont think a flurry of people are going to be corking rose bats after they receive them, it's way to coincidental. Also , look who is denying it... it is Pete Rose!!!. I think this is an amazing story, the possibility the bat was corked after is there, but I think very unlikely. Anyone that is trying to beat that point is just trying to pull down a collector because they themself do not have an item like this.

Great bat! Congrats!

-Tony

I decided to X-ray my Dr. J. gamers. This is a sad day for hoops fans.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by joelsabi View Post
    Hi Bill,

If you are going to end your thoughts on this thread, I just wanted to know if you were done collecting after this purchase. Thats what I read at least. Is that correct?

As far as big ticket auction items and spending hours to photo match them, I'm done. But I'll still pick up the occasional bat and jersey here and there. What I enjoy most is reading all the other amazing stories on this forum. This place is a wealth of knowledege and great people.

Bill

Banned

As far as big ticket auction items and spending hours to photo match them, I'm done. But I'll still pick up the occasional bat and jersey here and there. What I enjoy most is reading all the other amazing stories on this forum. This place is a wealth of knowledege and great people.

Bill
    AGREE 100%