Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pete Rose GU Reds Cap in Collect.com

Any opinion on the Rose gamer in their auction? I don't know much about DIck Dobbins, but it has the Reds stamp under the bill which is typical of gift shop items. Anything wrong with this item?

http://www.collect-auctions.com/LotD...100&category=1

Banned

Re: Pete Rose GU Reds Cap in Collect.com

All the game used caps of Rose that I have had (three) have all been size 7 1/4. This one is much bigger than that. This cap is a 60s cap too, back when he had a crew cut, so I don't know....Just my 2 cents.

The Reds used Wilson, not Pro Roman, caps in the 1960's.

This is the info I was able to find on Roman Pro Cap Co..."In the late 1970s the KM Pro Company closed its doors. Due to the major loss of business, it was decided that Roman should start manufacturing baseball caps. Roman Pro Cap Company was created. Several teams used Roman-made caps in the early 1980s. Soon after, Roman began remaking old style caps, commonly known as "throwbacks." They were advertised in sports magazines and were available via mail order. Roman became the first licensed cap company to make the old style caps, and were the first company to carry the "Cooperstown Collection" label. Roman's caps, embroidery-wise, were 100% accurate as they (and McAullife/KM) archived all of their embroidery (New Era did NOT archive their embroidery)." Based on this I would see it is a "throwback". Additionally, I've never seen any Reds article from the 1960s with the Cincinnati Reds stamp.

diamondicons, that is interesting info; where/how did u find that out??? also, please see the thread i started over a week ago on dating mcauliffe tags in vintage caps; maybe u or one of the other guys who replied on this thread can impart some of your knowledge in my thread (only one reply to it in ten days)--thanks!!

Has any one ever seen Pete wearing a uniform from the 60's that did not have a pinstripe home hat ? Pete never wore the solid white hat . Starting in 67 the hats went to solid red . from 63-66 they were pinstripe , the hat could not be anymore wrong in every way .

Banned

Question Re: Pete Rose GU Reds Cap in Collect.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1970REDS View Post
    Has any one ever seen Pete wearing a uniform from the 60's that did not have a pinstripe home hat ? Pete never wore the solid white hat . Starting in 67 the hats went to solid red . from 63-66 they were pinstripe , the hat could not be anymore wrong in every way .
    Actually, the Reds had home and road caps for the first few years of Pete's career. The road version had a light grey crown with no pinstripes. Check 1965 Topps card #207 and 1966 Topps #30.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by 1970REDS View Post
    Here is one of the photos Dave mentioned.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Like I said has anyone ever seen Pete wearing a HOME hat that was not pinstriped . The grey bodied hats were road hats . The 65 & 66 cards are clearly road uniforms . The solid white home hat was worn in the mid to late 50's . I should have said picture wearing a HOME uniform that did not have a pinstripe hat between 63 and 67.

I checked my photo binders and agree that the Reds wore a white striped cap with their home uniforms between at least 1962 and 1966.