Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Are GU Items Becoming like BB Cards??

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    It got to the point where everywhere I looked there was a game used or autographed item.
    Is there something wrong with this?

I am now at the point where many of the items in my collection are items I would not want to part with. Occasionally, I see something that I would want to trade/buy as an upgrade but for the most part am happy with what I have. The space for displaying is becoming an issue. With my walls covered in my "Man Room" there really is not much room for additional jerseys. I hate buying a game used piece and just have it hanging in my closet, so not really sure how I will approach this in the future. Any tips on displaying items?

As for mentioned earlier about the younger generation not getting into the collecting type of mind, I am not sure I agree. I am constantly surprised how many mid twenty collectors there are just in the Reds focus like myself, and even more surprised by some of the others posting on the board that are in their early teens. Probably stating the obvious but the economy is what is hurting the hobby right now. For a collector who is looking to purchase, it is a nice time to buy. I recently saw a jersey I was after and the guy stated he would end the auction for $650, but with how bidding has been going I figured I had a shot at the jersey for under $300 if I wait it out.

Hopefully the future will get turned around, but it will be interesting to see what the market is like with items pumped into at high rates. The one advantage I see to this is more and more items coming from players, agents, and big companies. Slowly see the diminish of "got it from a friend of the player".
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

The rangers probably have 300 jerseys in their team store. All stuff they probably wont ever sell at the prices they are asking. It might change if they make a good run this year, but there arent many collectors of rangers stuff. I can get bats and jerseys any day of the week, but gloves helmets and cleats are a different story.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fnazxc0114 View Post
    The rangers probably have 300 jerseys in their team store. All stuff they probably wont ever sell at the prices they are asking. It might change if they make a good run this year, but there arent many collectors of rangers stuff. I can get bats and jerseys any day of the week, but gloves helmets and cleats are a different story.
    If they don't sell it what sweat off their brow? Unlike dealers they don't need to sell stuff to survive. Not that long ago a bat broke it went in the trash. Now it is pure greed on the part of the teams. If they win it all or even make the series or start doing well in the ALCS watch the prices rise and people lineup to buy it. I am a Jets fan and as a whole there are not that many of us who collect when compared to Big Blue and the Yanks. Last year JO had a glut of Jets jerseys on their site pretty much everyone not named Revis or Sanchez was available in multiples late in the year. Then Jets make their playoff run and right after they upset the Chargers wham JO increased the prices and stuff flew off the shelf in the week in between games. They didn't even make the Super Bowl just getting to AFC Championship Game was enough to create a run. The reason for the run was the investors came out thinking ok if they win Super Bowl I can flip this stuff for a huge profit and regular folk jumped on the bandwagon which happens to teams like that who have not won in decades. Same thing will happen to Rangers stuff.

I dont think you can compare gu and cards. You can make a million exact replicas of cardboard cards but you cannot make a million gu items. Not to say that the hobby has not been watered down by all the gu stuff out there but thats really out of the collectors hands. Honestly the "watering down" of the market has made me be able to acquire items i would have never thought id be able to own. I don't buy to sell, all the items i buy i know i will probably never get rid of. I dont spend big bucks on anything but "holy grail" type items anymore. It just seems as if "premium" items today wont be "premium" in a year or so, its sad but true. You mean to tell me an Albert Pujols bat is worth thousands of dollars? I think only a fool would spend his money that way, a piece of lumber is the same to me, granted the reason we buy things is because they where used by our favorite ball players but spending mortgage money on a bat seems crazy by any stretch of the word.

I think the GU market and what happened with baseball cards is a great analogy. When Topps and the other companies realized, in the mid-1980s, that they were basically able to print money, they kept the presses running full-time and cranked out tens of thousands of vending cases (12,000 cards per) and rack/wax cases, and then, "cut" cases, which were bulk cases of cards from certain sheets.

The rookie crop in 1987 was so strong, I heard rumors Topps was printing 1987 cards well into 1988. I don't know if that was true, but I was having no problem getting 1987 cut cases in 1988-1989. I don't blame Topps one bit, when they could convert maybe $20 of cheap paperboard, ink, and some labor into cases that sold for over $100 apiece and virtually unlimited demand, why not?

In 1985, Dwight Gooden's rookie card started off at $2.00. I was a full-time dealer then and my initial break was 300 vending cases, so I had and sold about 4500 Gooden cards at about that price. Later in the year I decided to buy some more vending cases to stash away for a few years, but when Gooden kept winning games (he went 24-4 with a 1.53 ERA that year,) I was basically forced to break them up, since I could sell that one card for $5.00 all day long, in 100-card lots. That meant the other 11,985 cards in each case were now half-price to me.

Imagine, a small stack of 100 mass-produced pieces of cheap cardboard, anything but "rare", with a picture of a guy's face on it, selling for $500. And as I was selling them, the presses kept on making more.

It's the same general thing now with GU, as I see it. No, they don't make millions of game jerseys and bats, but they do make and use many more than would be necessary. Remember the flannel days, when a player would typically have Set 1 and Set 2, home and road? 4-6 jerseys is all a player really needs each season.

Anyway, to complete the analogy, the speculation in the recent, mass-produced cards went up like a rocket ship, then plummeted back down, but the vintage stuff has remained strong, and that stuff has really increased in value over the years. I remember being at a show in CA, trading 1987 Topps Canseco and Joyner cards for 1960s commons (one Canseco/Joyner for 2 vintage commons) and looking back, I was trading junk worth pennies today (if there are even any buyers for 100-card lots of 1987 Topps Canseco or Joyner anymore) for cards that do have a legitimate scarcity factor, and sustaining value.

Anyway, my conclusion is that vintage GU is and always will be a good investment because it was not over-produced in the first place, and much of that stuff has been lost to time. I don't think there is a definite line, but to me, "vintage" in bats means pre-1977 and in jerseys it means flannel (pre- 1972, about.) Not saying there was mass over-production in the late 1970s, just saying that stuff approaching 50 years old is what I consider a solid collectible/investment.

I agree, collect what you like. But, be smart, no sense in spending top dollar for stuff that will inevitably come down in price; if that's what you want to collect, fine, but wait and buy later. If you're going after items that are truly scarce, still buy smart, but you can do so with a lot more confidence.

As always, just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post

"Anyway, my conclusion is that vintage GU is and always will be a good investment because it was not over-produced in the first place, and much of that stuff has been lost to time."

"I agree, collect what you like. But, be smart, no sense in spending top dollar for stuff that will inevitably come down in price."
    Lot's of great analogies and quotes in that post. I fully agree with you and basically follow the first quote in my collecting world. I've always found acquiring a rare item is much more rewarding than something everyone else has. I wouldn't spend top dollar on nearly anything from the past 30 years and the past 10 years has seen a period of mass produced game used memorabilia flood the market. I doubt that trend will stop for a while since all the teams have found a way to make an extra buck on items they used to throw in the trash. The one thing we don't know yet is if the game used stuff from this era will hold its value. For the sake of most of the members on this board, I hope it does. You really have to be collecting for the love of the hobby to buy anything from the past 10 years.
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think the analogy of GU memorabilia to baseball cards does have some merit. Certainly, the more game used jerseys released to the public, the more it drives down any perceived value. But there is one very big difference I think some of you may not have taken into account, and that is the intrinsic value of the GU item. For example, a baseball card modern day common is a worthless piece of cardboard. Took minimal amounts of money to create given the mass production of them. Ok, now take a Notre Dame game worn jersey - took more than pennies for Notre Dame to purchase the jersey in the first place, correct? So the actual jersey did require tangible money to produce and to purchase by the university. Now, let's say the average fan has a spot on his office wall that he wants to hang a jersey. He is not a game used collector per se, but just wants a jersey of his team, and wants a nice looking one, not a $20 replica. His options? Buy a retail authentic jersey from ebay or the bookstore for around $100-200, or buy a real game used one for a bit more. Which do you think he will go for if financial resources are not exceptionally tight? Right, the game used. THAT's one big difference between game used and baseball cards that can not be discounted, and that is why even modern game used jerseys will likely always retain value to some degree.
    -Mike

Always looking for Notre Dame memorabilia
    Private messages ARE enabled

Its all about collecting what you love, not what its worth. Take a look at this collection. They are all "worthless" right?

http://forums.collectors.com/message...&keyword1=sabo

Heck id be proud of that sabo collection. He pimped the two inch glasses before they were cool. Id take a will clark g/u bat over any of his baseball cards anyday. Heck id take a geno petralli g/u bat over one of his cards any day. Its all in what you like. If the market tanks on g/u like it did on the 80-90's baseball cards it only means theree will be more stuff for us collectors at rock bottum prices.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

Even if someone doesn't collect for the value or worth of the items, no one really wants "worthless stuff". Yes I collect for the love of it, but I dont want to buy a fairly expensive item knowing that it is going to become less valuable. You never know when you might need to sell something. It is never good if something bottoms out. Look at Starting Lineup figures. They were huge and worth top dollar 10-15 years ago. Now you literally can not give them away. If GU items become worthless, a lot less people will want them anyway. Can you imagine if I couldnt even give away my photomatched Pujols bat?? That is scary.

Jason
    stlbats@bellsouth.net