Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Who are your top current first ballot hall of famers playing today?

I don't want to start a completely new thread so I'm just going to post it on here. Who do you guys think are the leagues top fan favorite players?

I personally have a huge problem with Pujols being ignored as a potential PED user. I really don't know why either. It's not because I root for Manny. It's not because I loved watching Sosa and McGwire slug it out. Just something about him irks me and I continue to believe his name will surface one day... but as others have said, it may well be after rumored or actual PED use is a deciding factor for first ballot, or any HOF vote. I'm in the group that thinks as the writers continue to grow older and the fans continue to recognize it was an era and not just a select few, we'll eventually go back to stuff like stats, championships, etc.

That said, I'll go Jeter, A-Rod, Rivera, Ichiro, Manny, Pujols (yuck). The only guy IMO that potentially still needs to do something is Rivera grabbing the all-time saves record. I'm not going to get into guys in the right track since probably none of them would get in if they never played another game.

Most popular with fans = Pujols, Jeter, Pedroia, Posey, Tulo, Markakis, Longoria, Mauer, Utley, Rollins, Wright, Ethier, Votto, Lincecum......... list probably goes on

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    IMO the only locks right now are Jeter and Pujols. Mariano is deserving but a closer has NEVER made it on the first ballot.
    There hasn't been anyone in the same role at the same level of Rivera before. I would be shocked if he was not first ballot, in fact I'd be surprised if he wasn't up around 90%.

Quote Originally Posted by legaleagle92481 View Post
    as far as Ichiro, he will make it but is he really first ballot? Many view him as a singles hitter on lousy teams who will fall short of 3,000 hits.
    I couldn't disagree with this one more. I think Ichiro is first ballot if he retired today. 10 years in the league. 10 time all star. 10 time gold glove winner. 10 straight years of 200 hits. Average over 100 runs scored a year over the 10 years. All time single season hit record. Rookie of the year. AL MVP winner. That said, I also disagree that he will fall short of 3000. I think hes practically a lock. He has 2 years left on his contract after which he will be at around 2700 hits. He will turn 39 after the contract ends. I think its pretty reasonable to think he can put up 300 total hits over his age 39 and 40 seasons combined given what hes done up till now. Either way, hes a first ballot player.

Quote Originally Posted by nationals2k9 View Post
    I personally have a huge problem with Pujols being ignored as a potential PED user. I really don't know why either. It's not because I root for Manny. It's not because I loved watching Sosa and McGwire slug it out. Just something about him irks me and I continue to believe his name will surface one day... but as others have said, it may well be after rumored or actual PED use is a deciding factor for first ballot, or any HOF vote. I'm in the group that thinks as the writers continue to grow older and the fans continue to recognize it was an era and not just a select few, we'll eventually go back to stuff like stats, championships, etc.
    Fair points. There will always be doubts about Pujols simply because of the unbelievable numbers he has put up since day 1. But there seems to be a huge difference (at least as of now) between the guys who are suspicious and the guys who have been caught. Simply look at Palmeiro (11%) and Bagwell (41%). I think its probably a pipe dream that the progression of voters treatment of this issue will allow someone like Manny to be a first ballot guy (figuring he will be on the ballot in about 7 years or so). ARod probably has at least 5 extra years on top of that and things could change but I doubt it will be enough to allow him in first ballot. Thats my opinion anyway though I've seen it shared by even voters who plan on voting for these guys (Buster Olney, Tim Kurkjian, Jayson Stark). Again I'm talking in the eyes of a betting man, not based on my personal player likes or dislikes.

Ichiro will get 1st ballot if he can get to 3,000, He needs about 180 hits over the next 4 years to do it. He will be 40 years old then. The way he plays he will always be able to get a lot of singles to pile up to it. Plus, he is an icon on many levels. And I do not even like him, but he would have to be first ballot HOF'er if he gets to 3,000 He is already a 10 time all star, which really is a tough feat.

Also, I think it will be EXTREMELY hard to Josh Hamilton to get in the HOF. He turns 30 in may and might not even have 100 career home runs by that point. Him screwing up his early years really will hurt his longevity statistically speaking. It probably cost him 3 years of everyday playing which would have been 500-575 hits, 60-80 Homeruns. Josh might only have 4-5 years left of being great and he has already had a couple minor injuries.
    I am suprised how much people pay for his game used, where he could easily just fade into time if he isn't a hall of famer, Could be like a Fred McGriff, even though Josh Will have more short term poerful years and short term stats.

Quote Originally Posted by bronx_burner View Post
    Fair points. There will always be doubts about Pujols simply because of the unbelievable numbers he has put up since day 1. But there seems to be a huge difference (at least as of now) between the guys who are suspicious and the guys who have been caught. Simply look at Palmeiro (11%) and Bagwell (41%). I think its probably a pipe dream that the progression of voters treatment of this issue will allow someone like Manny to be a first ballot guy (figuring he will be on the ballot in about 7 years or so). ARod probably has at least 5 extra years on top of that and things could change but I doubt it will be enough to allow him in first ballot. Thats my opinion anyway though I've seen it shared by even voters who plan on voting for these guys (Buster Olney, Tim Kurkjian, Jayson Stark). Again I'm talking in the eyes of a betting man, not based on my personal player likes or dislikes.
    Pujols looked 40 years old from the minute he arrived on the scene. He's essentially an NFL linebacker that's pretty good at baseball too. I just have this crazy suspicion that the league will always protect him as its darling regardless of what they may ever find, if only to protect the common fan. I've got to think guys like Manny and Arod will at least find a place one day. Take your 6-7 years on Manny and add 20 (right?) years of voting. That's a really long time. I personally don't believe these guys become two of the best right-handed hitters of an entire generation just b/c of the PEDs.

since we are bringing up retired guys what do you think about Biggio's chances on the 1st ballot i think he has to be a lock

Banned

Exclamation Re: Who are your top current first ballot hall of famers playing today?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSharon View Post
    since we are bringing up retired guys what do you think about Biggio's chances on the 1st ballot i think he has to be a lock
    I would be very surprised if he didn't make it on his first year eligible.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by nationals2k9 View Post
    Pujols looked 40 years old from the minute he arrived on the scene. He's essentially an NFL linebacker that's pretty good at baseball too. I just have this crazy suspicion that the league will always protect him as its darling regardless of what they may ever find, if only to protect the common fan. I've got to think guys like Manny and Arod will at least find a place one day. Take your 6-7 years on Manny and add 20 (right?) years of voting. That's a really long time. I personally don't believe these guys become two of the best right-handed hitters of an entire generation just b/c of the PEDs.
    I just looked up 'irony' in the dictionary and it's defined as 'talking up Manny Ramirez for the Hall of Fame while directing unfounded accusations of PEDs use towards other players.'

Pretty funny coming from a fan of the guy who shot himself up with a female fertility drug. C'mon man.

Rick
    rickjlucas@gmail.com

...now that is funny
    Bert
    ---------------

Always looking for Matt Wieters, Tettleton, and that Orioles magic

shoremen44@gmail.com