Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: What gives with not showing us your item when you claim you have the real deal and someone else doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by solarlottry View Post
    The photo match is sweet with the stripes and the stickers acting like pinstripes on a Yankees shirt. We now have one side of the story at least with regards to whose helmet is a photo match! It will be interesting to see how the OP follows this up.

The entire thread is just another example of people speaking before thinking. If someone has a problem go to the moderator first. Years ago I purchased some 49er gamers from someone and they were not quite as advertised. Instead of going " public" I asked for some help via Chris Cav. and guess what- the entire situation was resolved with both parties happy.

Always buying 1994 49ers and ANY shirt with a team letter
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com
    I agree, that's exactly how things should be handled. What kills me with this situation is nothing was bought or sold, someone just had a grudge they chose to express the absolute wrong way.

Re: What gives with not showing us your item when you claim you have the real deal and someone else doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by BU54CB View Post
    I guess I don't understand why posting the photos of the items is such a big deal? There are countless threads in this forum that members have voluntarily photos posted of items and collections that run the spectrum of value.
    BU54CB,
    I am actually going to give you a different perspective on why I don't post many pics - it's because many of these pics may then serve as "templates" to those who like to "doctor" ND jerseys.
    In the past 3 years, I have seen more mis-represented or altered ND "game worn" jerseys then I have seen of true, quality game worn jerseys (excluding the modern day gamers with Steiner letters, which are fine and legit). And I don't just mean ebay - many major auction houses have also had bad jerseys, and yes, I have contacted them to alert them - most don't respond or tell me not to bid if I don't like the item, which I find sad because their knowledge of ND gamers is minimal at best. In particular, my favorite response is "the source is good" - so apparently even though Notre Dame NEVER wore green jerseys in 2003, it is ok to sell a green ND jersey tagged 2003 as game worn instead of team issue, I guess. I started a thread on general ND jersey information a while back that I need to resume, but again, I am keeping it general to aspects of the jersey that would take a heroic effort to alter (sleeve style, etc). I think it is really sad how much bad/altered product there is out on the market, and my lack of spending money on game used items over the past year definitely goes along with this. Anyway, this is why I am cautious about posting pics, because at least I can still typically discern a gamer from a team issue from a fake because there is such a lack of easy access to close up ND gamer pics, especially from the 1980s and 1990s.
    -Mike

Always looking for Notre Dame memorabilia
    Private messages ARE enabled

Quote Originally Posted by beavisrules View Post
    BU54CB,
    I am actually going to give you a different perspective on why I don't post many pics - it's because many of these pics may then serve as "templates" to those who like to "doctor" ND jerseys.
    In the past 3 years, I have seen more mis-represented or altered ND "game worn" jerseys then I have seen of true, quality game worn jerseys (excluding the modern day gamers with Steiner letters, which are fine and legit). And I .don't just mean ebay - many major auction houses have also had bad jerseys, and yes, I have contacted them to alert them - most don't respond or tell me not to bid if I don't like the item, which I find sad because their knowledge of ND gamers is minimal at best. In particular, my favorite response is "the source is good" - so apparently even though Notre Dame NEVER wore green jerseys in 2003, it is ok to sell a green ND jersey tagged 2003 as game worn instead of team issue, I guess. I started a thread on general ND jersey information a while back that I need to resume, but again, I am keeping it general to aspects of the jersey that would take a heroic effort to alter (sleeve style, etc). I think it is really sad how much bad/altered product there is out on the market, and my lack of spending money on game used items over the past year definitely goes along with this. Anyway, this is why I am cautious about posting pics, because at least I can still typically discern a gamer from a team issue from a fake because there is such a lack of easy access to close up ND gamer pics, especially from the 1980s and 1990s.
    I understand your point about not wanting to post pics which would give forgers more information to use to make the finished product. The problem with that that is that pictures are everywhere already. NFL, NBA auctions, all the major auction houses, eBay etc etc. If someone is going to make a fake shirt and they are that good at it chances are your few images are not going to change that fact. Maybe someone will see your images and realize that a shirt is a fake and not buy and stop the forger from producing them. I think it can go both ways. Posted images can be used as a valuable learning source for collectors and as a way to weed out bad shirts so, as with everything in life, there is risk and benefits. What kind of hobby would game used collecting be if everyone just bought the stuff they liked and hoarded it in a dark room for only themselves to look at. What fun is that. A good part of the satisfaction of this hobby is sharing the stuff you like with others and to not do that due to fear seems like the forgers have already won. Criminals like a to fill a void and they are going to make shirts regardless of what we do. If we don't continue to share the stuff we like, communicate with each other and weed out the bad stuff then the hobby is sure to suffer.

These pictures are from Daylife and can be enlarged there. Looks like you can see the white scratch on the stripes.

I know the other thread is closed, but here is a photo from Bengals/Colts on 11/14/10 by AP attributed to Chad's helmet and you can obviously see the difference in style.

As for why people don't post, I love seeing peoples collections, but I don't mind if they don't want to. It is their choice. The one thing that I thought of as I followed the thread was the possibility that a person may be afraid of having their item stolen. I know that it is a worst-case scenario, but we're talking about items that could range well over four and five figures. Just a thought, but I don't blame anyone for not wanting to share either.

Here's the pic...Photo credit to the Associated Press (Mods, if any copyrights are violated, please remove pic).
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cheers,
    Jack

Actively looking for a Brad Lidge Philadelphia Phillies Game Used Cap!
    My Memorabilia Collection

That is one thought and danger of showing images- that by posting expensive items they may be stolen. It would take some work and selling the items might be difficult as the collecting world is not that huge but it is a risk and something I have thought about. One issue is that the thieves don't know what they are getting themselves into with security systems and homeowners with weapons. No one wants to get killed over a jersey and when a homeowner is armed to the teeth that could occur.

Like everyone else I am prepared for the zombie war with the necessary laundry list of items so trying to steal a bunch of 49ers shirts might be met with a shot to the head.

Paul

I also agree there are some special circumstances were not posting something is defiantly justifiable.I do however feel if you are going to publicly call someone out claiming you own the real deal of what they supposedly have be prepared to prove it.If it is not relevant to the situation I have no issues with people not posting photos but don't call someone out with out backing up your argument if relevant.Now that this situation is somewhat cleared I sure would like some closure on my bat situation.I feel a fair way to settle things is to have Scott send mods photos of his bat and let them be the judge of things.I am not trying to beat a dead horse but if he is not willing to do that then that raises red flags with me...

Banned

I sold a game used item to another member a couple of months ago. I had posted a pic of it here in a thread and the buyer asked me to ask the forum administator to remove the pic.
    I guess he has his reasons and is kind of private.
    I asked twice and as far as I know the pic is still up.
    I did my best for the buyer but that is all I can do.

Banned

The risk of having stuff stolen is baloney. First of all what is the difference between telling people I obtained a 2010 Chad Ocho Cinco helmet and posting a pic of it? The risk is the same, the potential thief reads about said item being obtained instead of seeing the item as well. Not much of a difference. Second, one can minimize theft risks. Store your loas apart from your stuff so if a thief takes the stuff you will still have the loa. Dont let anyone know where you store your stuff.

I dont see a photomatch.. see below. I'm not commenting on the situation or the authenticity of either helmet. I just don't see a photomatch from these images.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Thanks,
    Jimmy

Email:
    jamesbrandt24 at yahoo.com