Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Players first MLB hit

Not his first hit but his only home run. I've got the Stan Jok 1955 home run ball. If I remember correctly he only had like three hits total in his two seasons.

I'd be very interested to see the hologram number and look at how it's documented. If there's a question, you might try to ask Lisa about it. However, my experience is that even the most competent and motivated retailer is poorly informed about g-u items, because the club doesn't pass the info on efficiently to those selling it.

Here you go folks!

LH 037464

Hologram number LH037464 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
    Session Product Description:

Session Name: PIT AT ATL
    Session Date: June 11, 2009
    Autographer:
    Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
    Additional Information: BRAVES BARBARO CANIZARES 1ST ML HIT.

I also just got an email back from Lisa stating it ws indeed his first MLB hit baseball.

I have seen this before and hate how it's worded. This ball is from his first hit game, but not the actual "HIT BALL". If you look up holograms LH 037643-47 they all have the same listing. I have seen people trying to sell HR and hit balls like this also on ebay. Always look up around the hologram # to make sure there are not 4, 5, or more of the same listed ball.

I reached out to the Gwinett Braves to see if Barbaro wanted the ball. Here is the response I got from them.

"Mr. Wolfe,
    I appreciate you reaching out to us on this matter. I spoke with Barbaro about it today and he is just one of those guys that does not collect things like that so he does not want it.
    Thanks again and Go Braves!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by ifirocked View Post
    I have seen this before and hate how it's worded. This ball is from his first hit game, but not the actual "HIT BALL". If you look up holograms LH 037643-47 they all have the same listing. I have seen people trying to sell HR and hit balls like this also on ebay. Always look up around the hologram # to make sure there are not 4, 5, or more of the same listed ball.
    Wow, that is really a poor way to authenticate multiple baseballs from the same game. You don't have to be a collector to see where this would confuse people or facilitate people mis-representing items.

The Braves are saying it is his first hit:

Definitely! The hologram number is LH 037464. Let me know if you have
    any additional questions!
    Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2011 1:59 PM
    To: Wessinger, Lisa
    Subject: RE: ST. PATRICK'S DAY SALE!

Lisa,
    The ball I purchased is Barbaro Canizares first hit correct? I was
    looking on MLB TV and found the hit. It looked like it was given back to
    him. Can you forward me the MLB hologram
    number or the attachment you sent me before so I can look it up?
    Thanks for any help!
    Dustin Wolfe

Quote Originally Posted by ifirocked View Post
    I have to believe you are right. I bet you if you ask the Braves about someone that has a ball LH037465 and the following turns up:

Hologram number LH037465 was located in the MLB Authentication Database under GAME-USED BASEBALL.
    Session Product Description:

Session Name:
    PIT AT ATL
    Session Date: June 11, 2009
    Autographer:
    Authenticator: AUTHENTICATORS, INC.
    Additional Information: BRAVES BARBARO CANIZARES 1ST ML HIT.

The Braves would tell you that it is his first hit because let's be honest, they really don't know what they are talking about aside from what is listed in the database. I would chalk this one up as another example of an authenticator lacking description of the item making the whole thing deceiving. Having the codes LH037463 through LH037468 as Barbaro Canizares' first ML Hit doesn't add up, there can only be one hit.

That should read LH037463 through LH037466. Sorry for the mistake

Checking the sequence of hologram numbers around your item almost always gives useful added info, such as on the rarity of your item. For example, when I bought an ALCS game 2 ball from the Rangers, I found it interesting that they authenticated 55 balls from that game. I determined thast just by going through the hologram sequences. Since those balls were specific regarding how they were used in the game, I could judge the relative importance of my ball versus the others.

Most regular games have six authenticated balls, but this is increased for special events. Sometimes, ( but not always) consecutive games in a series in the same city continue the same hologram sequence. If the ball's specific use is given, checking against MLB's "Gameday" gives even more info, and helps check for clerical errors by authenticators ( such as using incorrect terminology or giving the wrong inning).