Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: What do you want to happen to your collection when you die?

I've had friends,co-workers, and others ask me this question before. I tell them come by my house the day after the funeral and there will probably be a big yard sale! My Wife and daughter could care less about my stuff, it's junk to them. My brother collects and thinks he will get it all!

This may sound VERY strange but collecting Game used, has really made me devalue material possessions in general. Everything game used is a 1 of a kind and people outside the hobby do not get that. Everytime I sell something, i have to assume that it is gone forever. Also at the same time, I know certain items will become available down the road. all and all, there is nothing I can live without.

I would hope my family would recognize the difference between material possession and emotion and feeling of a human being. I would hope that they would sell everything and keep the money, and if I ever knock up some lady my offspring will know this for certain.

Really, after collecting for over a decade, the game used items really represent to me the time,effort, luck and patience in running the items down.

Banned

I'll probably have it all sold at a loss and be doing something else before that time comes.

I have three young daughters who will likely not be interested in my Phil's collection that goes all the way back to my days of begging players for bats and autographs when I was a kid running around Vet Stadium during the early 80s. My plan is to wait 20 - 25 years and then sell most of my game used collection at auction. Most likely I'll use Hunt Auctions if they are still around. By then, the game used stuff should be worth a pretty penny. I'll split the money equally between each of my daughters. They can use it to help with a house downpayment, put it in savings, help buy a new care, whatever they like. I'll get the enjoyment of watching it sell at auction and seeing how much it fetches and my kids will get a gift they did not expect. The really high quality stuff I don't plan on selling and will be passed down to the next generation.

My wife will keep the 3 the loves, if I have children they will pick their favs, the rest will be donated to the players that wore them with my kind regards and thanks for the joy their play brought me.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

My son, nephews, and neice will get all of my Michigan items.

We have many Wolverine fans in our family.

i never had to think about this living in new york 10 years ago as i was single and buying up yankees items and game used bats. fast foward after 9/11 and i now maintain one of the largest yankees game used collections on the east coast, living in florida just turning 47 and having my first child a year ago....i really starting thinking about this.....for instance.....a month ago i purchased a item i had been looking for 20 years....after purchasing it i realized i had my daughter college to pay for...lol......after sending pics to a friend of mine for 20 years ..he couldnt believe i had it....his offer was around 50k.....if it was a bat....i would have said no....but it was the first time in my life i had i had another somebody to think of....my guess my daughter would get the stuff and my wife would call sothebys or hunt auctions....and what took me 40 years to build....would be gone in 20 minutes....lol.....so until that day im buying yankees game used bats more then ever.....hehe..and we will send a 18ft truck anywhere in the usa for game used bats....and ya know since 1984 i still really love this shit.......

thegoodz15......scott

I want my heirs ( wife and daughters) to be free to sell or donate whatever they're not interested in. But I'm concerned that they may not know the significance of each item. So I keep a running file on a flash drive that records pertinent data such as where I got something and why I think it's important. I update it whenever something new is added.

They know about the flash drive. Fortunately, my wife and daughters all get along well, so I'm sure they can decide what to do amicably with each piece.

I'm in my mid-twenties, so hopefully I've got a long while before this becomes an issue, but I've made some plans. Especially after seeing where some folks' collections end up after they're gone (ShopGoodwill.com, for one - sad), I at least want my heirs to at least know what everything is, so I keep a written ledger of everything: what it is, which game it was used in, identifying marks, provenance (split into substantiated and unsubstantiated), etc. with attached receipts/COA's and a flash drive of photos. Fire-resistant safe, along with documentation of other valuables.

Now, what they choose to do with it is a different issue. My wife will likely keep the hockey stuff, but she has full license to unload whatever she doesn't want, hopefully for as much cash as possible. Whatever kids we may have should have a crack at it, but if they end up being into musical theater or something, that might be a tough sell...

Barring that, I'm totally on board for the aforementioned game-used pyre.

I have advised my wife to sell it all and make what she can off of it; the sad thing is it's the best "investment" I have.

She claims she would want to keep it all to remind her of me, but I have implored her to sell it. Keep a jersey I wore while watching a game or maybe some signed 8x10s, but I hope she would sell all the GU stuff.