Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Explaining the hobby to friends and family

Quote Originally Posted by Dach0sen0ne View Post
    I normally get the following responses;

1. You collect what?

2. Who the hell is Austin Jackson?

3. Are you joking about having a website for your Austin Jackson crap?

NOBODY understands me.
    haha, this post gave me a good laugh........you have an awesome collection though and we understand
    -Randy
    rborrero14 at gmail.com

Banned

Exclamation Re: Explaining the hobby to friends and family

My wife and in-laws don't fully understand it, although they respect it. So did my father, when he was alive, as we often would do local shows together in the 1980s.

My brothers used to constantly ridicule my involvement in the hobby, until they saw that I was gaining fame and notoriety in the hobby, even if I wasn't getting independently wealthy in the process. I'm not sure what either one of them would think now...we haven't spoken in 17 years and I really don't give a rat's rearend what they think.

Dave Miedema

Ya, my wife is about the only one who gets it....

But even she gives me the "Oh great, another jersey thats just going to crowd the closet" type of comments once in a while.

Im not out in the public with my collection as i am semi-private but the few people ive let in my world have either one of 2 reactions.

1. Couldnt care less (no worries here )

2. Think is cool but over the top, the "this looks like a museum" comment is one that catches me by surprise everytime (i dont see it that way at all).

When people ask me "why" i simply say, "i have nothing better to do and i think its cool". My family only cares that it makes me happy, now if i could only explain to the old gf why we need to take our pictures down for my new cano bat

One I get a lot is how do you know the player actually used it? Then when you try to explain companies like PSA and mlb authentication they don't get it............

While my Dad thinks I have enough memorabilia, my Mom is pretty understanding. She will on occasion buy something game used for me, or if I am desperate for something, loan me the money. Recently, after she loaned me money for an item, I showed her video of the player wearing it, and she thought it was really cool. Likewise, after I explain my passion for a certain item and the story behind it, she has an appreciation too. Her attitude is at least I'm not spending the money on beer or drugs and everyone spends money on some hobby. We are live and let live.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    My brothers used to constantly ridicule my involvement in the hobby, until they saw that I was gaining fame and notoriety in the hobby, even if I wasn't getting independently wealthy in the process.
    I didn't realize that you were famous in the hobby, Dave.

I'm not sure what either one of them would think now...we haven't spoken in 17 years and I really don't give a rat's rearend what they think.
    Wow - Sorry to hear that, Dave. That must be rough.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

My friends are impressed when it is a player or team they root for. Then they want to touch and have questions about how I got it and such.

Most didn't really care though until my wedding when their groomsman gifts were game worn jerseys from their favorite teams. Suddenly, my collection seemed a lot more interesting.......
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    Most didn't really care though until my wedding when their groomsman gifts were game worn jerseys from their favorite teams. Suddenly, my collection seemed a lot more interesting.......
    LOL! That's a funny story.
    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

morning forum, i thought this was a great title and i have been hearing such stories since 1984 why i collect game used uniforms and bats....having one of the largest ollections on the east coast, i start telling people of my first story that in 1990 i traded my 1956 mantle uniform for my first house at the age of 26.......at the time the house was 180k.......today the uniform believe it or not is worth more then the house.....when people come to my home they ae simply in awe from trophies and the hundreds of game used bats i have displayed.....ask any who collects art or baseball memorabila and they will simply tell you....if there is a rembrandt on the wall for 20 million dollars or a mickey mantle game used world series bat.....the bat is will be talked about all evening...in florida i actually do seminars in the 55 and over communities teaching people that its the greatest hobby in the world and one of the greatest investments out performing stocks and real estate.....i get more pleasure looking at my ruth, mantle, munson game used bats that looking at my 3000 shares of a piece paper of microsoft....lol....and when a item that you have sells for hundreds of thousands of dollars....and you own one.....that when you can laugh at friends and family....in closing there are so many people i have met since 1984 that share the same passion i have with the game of baseball and yankees memorabilia.....and i hope to teach this to my daughter charlie who is 15 months old......when family and friends do come over the house kinda makes you feel like a ballplayer or a rock star...lol

happy collecting,
    scott m. goodman......"thegoodz15"