Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Braves make trade with teen for Chipper's 450th HR

Curious if any of you have had experiences --or seen anyone else have one--with team officials regarding important items they wanted back:

Do you think this girl's family has a case on Chipper Jones' 450th home run ball?

Re: Braves make trade with teen for Chipper's 450th HR

and what if teams do start offering "fair market value" for a milestone. First of all who is to say what fair market value is secondly then you have to worry about the tax implications of such an exchange (see Jeter's 3000k hit)

It really is a no win situation for everyone involved unless people stop getting greedy. Do I think it's fair to offer an autographed baseball for a milestone, depends on if the person getting the offer thinks it's fair.

Worst case, you can end up going back to the 1800's and early 1900's when they went into the stands and collected the foul balls and HR's. THen everyone loses out.

It seems like the parents are more upset that there was not a chaperone there to discuss the transaction with the fifteen year old and the organization. I obviously wasn't there, so I can't say how the conversation went.

But it is an interesting debate - on the one hand, many people who really don't care all that much might think an autographed ball and a hat would be a fair trade. On the other hand, all of us know that the trade was anything BUT fair in terms of the actual value of the HR ball to collectors. And in the tv interview the girl made it sound like she would have rather held onto the HR ball.

I guess I would have expected a little more from the Braves in this situation. I mean, at least have her meet Chipper and maybe have him give her a bat or a jersey or something. But that's JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcrew View Post
    It seems like the parents are more upset that there was not a chaperone there to discuss the transaction with the fifteen year old and the organization. I obviously wasn't there, so I can't say how the conversation went.

But it is an interesting debate - on the one hand, many people who really don't care all that much might think an autographed ball and a hat would be a fair trade. On the other hand, all of us know that the trade was anything BUT fair in terms of the actual value of the HR ball to collectors. And in the tv interview the girl made it sound like she would have rather held onto the HR ball.

I guess I would have expected a little more from the Braves in this situation. I mean, at least have her meet Chipper and maybe have him give her a bat or a jersey or something. But that's JMHO.
    I completely agree, if the Ball means so much to Chipper and the Organization, show it!

Banned

Angry Re: Braves make trade with teen for Chipper's 450th HR

Teams will often use being on their home turf and an intimidation factor in their "deals" for milestone baseballs.

In 1983, Scott Fletcher of the White Sox hit his first MLB home run. I was dating a girl who liked Fletcher at the time, and made a beeline for the area the ball had landed, with $50 in tow to offer for it.

I did find the guy who caught it, but not before White Sox security, notorious in those days for harassment and intimidation, did. The fan said that the security types didn't give him a choice...they demanded the home run ball, and gave him a brand new ball (not even autographed) in exchange.

The Cubs aren't any better...the Ballhawk who caught Rey Sanchez's first MLB HR asked to present the home run ball to Sanchez personally, and was shot down by security, who insisted that he make a deal with the guard for something worthless.

The Ballhawk who outmaneuvered me for Greg Maddux's 2nd career HR on Waveland Avenue went willingly with a couple of security guys to return the ball to Maddux, who wanted it. He never got to meet Maddux, though, as the security intermediaries gave him a cracked Dwight Smith bat and sent him back out to the street.

Seems like the Braves followed the lead of the Chicago teams in years past, using their authority to push a deal on a minor that, from what I gather, she really didn't want.

Dave Miedema

I would have thought the Braves would have more class than that.

ncb
    ------------------------------------------------
    Josh Hamilton gamers WANTED

NCBADGES@embarqmail.com

ACTS 4:10

I too am surprised how the Braves handled that. I'm trying to get a hold of the family though so I can give that girl a better offer for the ball if she can get it back.

Banned

And this is why baseball is where it is today. (Lowest ratings in the nation as far as sports). They have no answers on how to make it better though? Righttttttttt... I couldn't tell you the last time I watched a full length baseball game. I'm a Yankees fan and used to go to 12 games a year. Now I'll go to maybe 1 game every 5 years. Baseball just isn't what it used to be and never will be. Just goes to show how quick the Braves organization will rip off a little girl to make sure they get what they want.

To be honest ever since football started I forgot baseball was even still being played. Now If I feel this way, then there are def other people who feel this way and it's just not a good sign for the lack luster sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphins23 View Post
    And this is why baseball is where it is today. (Lowest ratings in the nation as far as sports)
    Where on Earth did you pull this stat from?

Banned

Would you really like me to show you?