Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: great call umps

Re: great call umps

The home plate umpire screwed up the call at the plate with Napoli tagging up to score. His foot hit the bag before the tag.

We will never know, with the missed call at first, there are two outs with nobody on base. The game could have gone completely different. Sometimes one bad call can change a game totally.

I don't really care who wins the WS. But lets not let the umps influence the outcome!

I liked the Cards for years. They trained for 75 years in ST. Pete, FL where I lived many years. I started collecting game used bats thanks to the Cards in the Spring of 1997. I got 20 bats during Training Camp that year.
    Thank you,
    David

This is my email address here!
    dzscope at gmail dot com

Email is best for personal messages...

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Good teams find ways to win in spite of umpires.
    Sometimes they do, and sometimes they don't. The fact remains that no team, good or bad, should ever have to overcome both the other team and an umpire's incompetence. Umpiring mistakes should not simply be accepted as a part of the game. It may take twenty or thirty years, but instant replay on more than just "boundary calls" is coming...and probably some kind of electronic check on balls and strikes, as well.

I have been against replay, but I'm changing my mind. I've seen too many plays recently that weren't even close and the umpire got it wrong like the tag out non call at first in the series and blown call on what should of been the last out of what should have been a perfect game in Detroit last year. I accept that it is impossible to review every play, the game would last 6 or 7 hours. But I think a limited number of challenges like they have in football would be appropriate. They already now review some home run calls. Of course it wouldn't cover every bad call, the challenge in football doesn't allow for every holding or clipping call. But it does allow a team to challenge what they think are the worst and most important calls.