Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Disappointed in Pujols...

Has anyone considered that Albert chooses to charge so much because the money goes to a good cause? Albert uses revenue from his signings and other auctions to help his Pujols Family Foundation in many cases. He knows the market ... and he knows that the more he signs and the cheaper he signs the less he will get in the future. There are two sides to every story. I couldn't really care less if he signs autographs. Most "fans" choose to bash him for ridiculous reasons anyway.
    Collecting Cardinals jerseys and bats, with a focus on Yadier Molina, Matt Holliday, and Adam Wainwright.

Tyler
    flotaboys@hotmail.com

when we had REAL ballplayers, they got paid pennies and signed all day and free.
    now these overpaid babies have to charge for a chicken scratch on a ball! this society has gone to hell in a handbasket. i make 20M a year, but i still want $500 for my sig on a ball or photo or whatever. on reason why i don't collect this crap and never will. the ones that like to spend money on this stuff are the ones that keep it going.
    not a ballplayer, but walter payton made a lot of money and still signed for free, at least the times i saw him. he signed for me at one of his night clubs i was at and was happy to do so. too much money has made these dummies think they are better than everyone else. $&*%$%.

its not the money that does that, its the adoration of the fans and the fact that they pretty much have everything done for them which gives them all a super inflated ego.

I'm embarrassed by the players who seem to exude the attitude that they're too good to sign autographs, or that they can't bring themselves to give their sig away; at the same time, I'm even more embarrassed at the guys (it's almost always guys) who show up at Fall League, ST, Instructional League games, etc, with big binders full of cards and want a player to sign 10-40 of the same card. I actually admire the players who, so confronted, will say, "Just two" or "Just five". Those greedy dealers make it very difficult for somebody's who is just trying to get a single baseball or a photo signed, and the players who are really nice about it, and actually stand there and sign all those cards, are just enabling the behavior.

Sorry for the somewhat off-topic rant. Back on-topic: If someone like Pujols wants to start charging three figures for his signature at some point down the road, when he's retired and not making millions, more power to him. People are going to be wanting his autograph twenty years from now, I'm sure. But while he's an active player, he should be signing at every opportunity, for his fans, just like players have been doing since the game went pro 150 years ago. During DBacks ST, the players are scheduled, for a couple of hours a week, to sign items for the team to contribute to charities, and no one is exempt.

Incidentally, an early report on a young player's signing propensities: Anthony Gose, who will almost certainly be a Major Leaguer in the next year or two - definitely one of the "too good to sign" variety. I stood right next to his mother the other day, and couldn't get him to come over.

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Griff -

I posted that MLB has announced that NO 2011 Team Signed WS Champion Balls would be made available due to Pujols fee making the ball 'cost prohibitive'.
    Your comments appear to be based on a rumor tweeted by Darren Rovell, which was based on a rumor not attributed to a source. Rovell has since removed the tweet from his account and is currently backpeddling in response to criticism:

#darrenrovell
    "For any1 who thinks I have issues attributing to original sources, I challenge you to go back through all my tweets." (November 6)

I've read posts from you in the past and you strike me as a bright guy. Too bright to put stock in 162-character rumors based on rumors.

If you've stated everything as your opinion, I take no issue with it. But if you're characterizing this as reported fact, I respectfully challenge you to support your statements with verifiable, original attribution.

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandAsFan View Post
    its not the money that does that, its the adoration of the fans and the fact that they pretty much have everything done for them which gives them all a super inflated ego.
    Nail on the Head!

An example... Coors Field quit letting cabs drive in out back two years ago (after the infamous 'shoe bomber' incident on an airliner. (They say it's not racist - most of the cabbies in Denver are Muslim - but I digress)

Anyway, there have been players who have gotten out of the cab, asked the gate attendant to call someone, told the small group (usually LESS than 10 people) out back who are TRUE autograph seekers (The Dealers here stick to the hotels) that they 'don't have time' to sign right now while they just stand there for 5 to 10 minutes waiting for the cart to come pick them up. The funniest part is they are pro ATHLETES and the walk would have taken them less than 3 minutes to make!!!

If you don't want to sign, just say it and be honest - don't insult my intelligence with some BS excuse... as an example, a couple of years ago Lastings Milledge told us he couldn't sign because his 'balls hurt'... Aaron Rowand told us his hands were full (he had a rolling bag and a newspaper) while another player was signing for us with two bags and a cup of coffee... oh yeah, I've heard about every excuse.

That said, do I think players OWE me an autograph - absolutely not. BUT, I do deserve - at a minimum - to be treated with respect and as a human being. Anyone that knows me will tell you that I have dumped entire collections of a player after seeing how they interact with fans if they are a complete douche.

Sorry for the 'off-topic' rant, but had to get t out there...

- Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by rj_lucas View Post
    Your comments appear to be based on a rumor tweeted by Darren Rovell, which was based on a rumor not attributed to a source. Rovell has since removed the tweet from his account and is currently backpeddling in response to criticism:

#darrenrovell
    "For any1 who thinks I have issues attributing to original sources, I challenge you to go back through all my tweets." (November 6)

I've read posts from you in the past and you strike me as a bright guy. Too bright to put stock in 162-character rumors based on rumors.

If you've stated everything as your opinion, I take no issue with it. But if you're characterizing this as reported fact, I respectfully challenge you to support your statements with verifiable, original attribution.
    I don't know if it was Darren Rovell's tweet or not. The source I heard it stated on was 'Intentional Talk' on MLB Network.

Again, to date, the are NO 'verifiable' WS Team Signed Balls available through the Cardinals Store (or auctions), MLB Store (or auctions), Steiner, Mounted Memories, etc.

The ONE ball that you posted a link too is a one shot AUCTION site offer that - if legitimate - was probably signed over the course of the WS. The ONE ball that I posted has questionable signatures at best.

Again, to date the story has proven true as usually, this far past the Final Game of the WS (over a week) - Team signed balls have been offered for sale through one of the sources listed above.

If you're a Pujols fan, good for you. I met him in 2002 while working for Nike and sent a good 4-5 hours with him in the store. He was very nice then. Over the years, I have watched him (from my perspective) become more and more jaded and bitter towards the fans. To my point - when he came back in 2003 we talked for a few minutes at the hotel (he remembered me from Nike), 2004 he kinda half assed a wave, 2005 after making his 1st WS appearance wouldn't even acknowledge me and since then it's been worse each year they have been here. I'm not asking him to be my buddy, just be more open to the fans.

Just my .02

- Smitty

Banned

I like single signature baseballs better anyway.
    The team signed balls look messy to me.

And the athletes charge what the public is willing to pay.
    Are they greedy? Yes they are.
    But the public could control the autograph prices.

Quote Originally Posted by godwulf View Post

Incidentally, an early report on a young player's signing propensities: Anthony Gose, who will almost certainly be a Major Leaguer in the next year or two - definitely one of the "too good to sign" variety. I stood right next to his mother the other day, and couldn't get him to come over.
    Gose has been harder to get this AFL than Bryce Harper!

Quote Originally Posted by jake33 View Post
    i never have a problem with anyone cashing in on their name.

And I certainyl think my fandom of the Rays and the small $3,000 I spend a year in merch, game used and tickets "pays" anyone's salary directly. Indirectly yes, but we as the public has accepted and tolerated our own treatment.

No player owes any fan anything in my opinion. Could it be considered rude, i guess by some people's standards.

Also, I also do not think athletes are overpaid AT ALL. Look at the top 700 people in most professions in this country, most of them are all making more than a very good percentage of athletes and can do their jobs for a couple decades. Most pro sports careers (baseball has exceptions) last on the high end 15 years. And athletes also get about 42% taken out of taxes and union fees. No they shouldn't get sympathy really, but keep in mind they are the best at what they do and millions of people have tried their same sport and failed to excel.

Guys like Peyton Manning have almost single handedly doubled the value of the franchise by their play on the field.

What value has Pujols added to St. Louis in general? Do they even make the playoffs without him? Hey, I dislike him as much as anyone, but off the field eh should be able to do what he wants and I am all for anyone cashing in on their own name. It is tough enough to make a dollar as it is, do what you have to do. And yes, he makes millions and blah, blah blah, it is is right to do it, as it is anyones right to dislike it.

Believe me if I was a pro athlete, I would be far worse than the majority of these guys on all levels.
    Just curious, if you're $3K doesn't pay salaries, then what does it pay for? The money has to come from somewhere.