Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Dr. J's personal collection going to auction...

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    I think the only Erving 76ers jersey I've ever seen with both the year and number tag is that one in GFC. It's one of the older NBA gamers of his that I've seen. Usually, I only see the number tag on shorts and warmups...where there really is no other way to identify who the item belongs to.

Maybe Pearson quit sewing them on. The Erving Squires that sold some time ago also had a number tag, but is there really a need when there are numbers on the jersey?

A former Pearson employee would be the one to ask.
    found a late 70's dawkins that states it has number and year tag on the shirt,,,here is the link..but not a great picture
    http://www.legendaryauctions.com/LotDetail.aspx?lotid=51947

greg,, let me ask you this way... if you had the cash,,would you lay it down on the GFC doc shirt?. scp's doc auction getting way to high,,i have a high bid,,but it aint gonna last.
    thanks mick

Obviously, you'd like to see the piece in person before buying, but based on the auction photos, there's no red flags, IMO. Everything looks correct and the tag is comparable to the other 78-79 tag below.

I wish all Erving 80s jerseys had the year tag sewn on. Look at the 2 80s game jerseys at SCP. They're dating them based on the tagging in the shorts. How can you tell the 82-83 jersey from the 84-85 jersey? You can't.

Of course, I would also factor in Erving's stats for that year, how the Sixers performed, etc. He had a sub-par year and the Sixers lost in the Eastern Conference semis.

Banned

Obviously, you'd like to see the piece in person before buying, but based on the auction photos, there's no red flags, IMO. Everything looks correct and the tag is comparable to the other 78-79 tag below.

I wish all Erving 80s jerseys had the year tag sewn on. Look at the 2 80s game jerseys at SCP. They're dating them based on the tagging in the shorts. How can you tell the 82-83 jersey from the 84-85 jersey? You can't.

Of course, I would also factor in Erving's stats for that year, how the Sixers performed, etc. He had a sub-par year and the Sixers lost in the Eastern Conference semis.

greg, whose jersey is that ? #27? again, would you clunk down some good change for that dr j shirt?
    your opinion appreciated
    mick

I think it's a #21, but I don't see that number on the 78-79 roster. The jersey was given to Eric Money when he joined the team, but he was #22.

If I thought it was a good deal and in my budget, sure I'd bid. Keep in mind, a Doc jersey will routinely sell for more than my entire collection is worth.

As I stated before, I factor in more than authenticity. For example, the shoes below. Nice shoes. No doubts about authenticity and each one is autographed. But...they were obtained after a pre-season game. I know the date of the game, the final score and how many points Erving had while wearing these shoes for the last time - but it was a pre-season game. And they're StarTechs...and the signatures were sealed...and I know he didn't wear them in the playoffs the season before.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/A...&t=Open&p=0&s=

Last night for Fish gear.

I graduated with DR. J from UMASS in 86....He was very cool and actively chatting with everyone during the graduation festivities.....I thought that I would have Had a shot at his College Jersey but that obviously ain't going to happen! Maybe the game used roller skates?

Last night for Fish gear.

Otis, thanks for posting these Fish photos. I told you my guess for this 74 ABA ring was 100K. Went for 460K. What's the record for a championship ring?

The Pisces/Pythons stuff went for very modest prices.

I have no idea why 1978 & 1984 AS game rings went for more than his 1976 ABA title rings. Looks to be about 3.5 million with the 20% added.

If anyone bought lot #127, below is a cheap photo to go along with it.

http://catalog.scpauctions.com/LotDe...OUSTON-ROCKETS

Wire photo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CT-PHOTO-abz...ht_2886wt_1247