Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Gernay, Oldridge, Horne Plead Guilty

Plea agreements filed in federal court on Monday say Gernay, Horne and Oldridge have agreed to provide information to investigators and testify in civil or criminal proceedings

How is this going to work out with Oldridge still being the owner of JO????

Also, I wonder what NFL teams will do when learning of the guilty plea....

k

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    I am sure Chris will now remove his affiliation with JO and remove Jarrod and his company from their ability to post here. I say this with sincerity as I have always found GUU to be conducted with integrity and the Mods (including Mr. Cavalier) have always been very straightforward and understanding when a post a comment or have a thread deleted for unknowingly breaking the site's rules....

I don't think I am alone in saying Chris showed tremendous restraint and true class in dealing with this scandal so far. I bear no ill will towards him or this site and feel confident he will do what is right to continue to protect GUU's integrity.
    Hello Matt,

Thank you very much for your post. It is refreshing to know that there are some who can look at things rationally and with a sense of rigor.

As I posted previously, I did not state that I believed no wrongdoing took place. I stated that I was leaving the forum open to Mr. Oldridge to post if he cared to answer any of the board members directly given there were still so many unknowns.

Personally, I still have a number of questions. That is, I am still not clear of the scope of Mr. Oldridge's involvement and if it involves any of the merchandise acquired from his team deals. While I would personally like an explanation from Mr. Oldridge and would like the forum members to hear directly, I have no interest in leaving that option open since some forum members will undoubtedly accuse me of trying to defend JO if we do. Therefore, despite the fact that I would really like Mr. Oldridge to post specifics here, we will go ahead and ban JO from the forum since, if we don't, there will be obviously some here who will claim some form of impropriety on the part of GUU. Instead, I will seek the answers to the questions I have off these boards.

In addition, 8D will be contacting the teams currently having deals with JO Sports. If there is any question that the items from JO's team deals are in question, we will remove them from the 8D Auction. Personally, I suspect the items from the team deals are not in question. However, 8D will remove them from the auction if there is any question whatsoever after discussing this matters with the teams.

Given my time is limited right now due to our upcoming auction launch, I will have a limited amount of time to post here. Therefore, if anyone has specific questions that are worthy of a response, I apologize in advance if it might take some time for me to post on the forum. I trust people will understand this is not a matter of avoidance but simply feasibility given all we need to do in preparation for our upcoming auction launch.

Sincerely,
    Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Quote Originally Posted by SaintsGeaux View Post
    I wake up to scan the forum and can't believe Mr. Oldridge pleaded guilty.
    Saints -

Let me open by stating this post is NOT an attack on you or any other forum member (or owner/mod/etc)...

That said, I am sure you are not the only one who will have that feeling, but if you read the other threads on this subject, myself and others tried as best as we could to explain that a 'Criminal Information' is a Plea Bargain (meaning the admission of guilt) - it just hadn't been put into a Legal Document yet (as I attached a few posts back) but that doesn't change the fact that - again - JO had already made the plea deal by the time any of us read the the 2nd article from SCD.

Many posted here that no one knew the facts, etc - again, links were posted to the charges, etc - and I think it was just them turning a blind eye and holding out hope that what they were reading wasn't true.

As of this writing, josportsco is still a member in good standing (I just searched the member list and he does NOT have a banned or suspended tag under his name) and has not been banned from this site while others have been banned immediately for way less serious offenses against the hobby - and this site - than this.

I agree with your statements that his affiliation with GUU (specials, etc) and how GUU handles that affiliation will definately temper how big of a black eye this is to this site - not just the hobby.

All the best -

Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    While I would personally like an explanation from Mr. Oldridge and would like the forum members to hear directly, I have no interest in leaving that option open since some forum members will undoubtedly accuse me of trying to defend JO if we do. Therefore, despite the fact that I would really like Mr. Oldridge to post specifics here, we will go ahead and ban JO from the forum since, if we don't, there will be obviously some here who will claim some form of impropriety on the part of GUU.

Given my time is limited right now due to our upcoming auction launch, I will have a limited amount of time to post here. Therefore, if anyone has specific questions that are worthy of a response, I apologize in advance if it might take some time for me to post on the forum. I trust people will understand this is not a matter of avoidance but simply feasibility given all we need to do in preparation for our upcoming auction launch.

Sincerely,
    Chris
    Chris -

As a matter of being fair, I was writing my last post while you were apparently posting this one (my statement that as of my writing JO was still in good standing).

I do appreciate the value of your time (or anyone's for that matter) to respond to any questions asked and thank you for your candor regarding your time available here vs the 8D auction.

That said, I do believe that my other comments stated are both valid and based in fact which can be verified from previous threads and posts and I hope you will accept them in the way in which they are intended and not like some here thinking I am on a witch hunt or out to bash others.

As a disabled vet and former Loss Prevention agent, I take fraud (theft as it's most base) as a very serious offense regardless of who perpetrated the fraud. I have ended countless relationships of fraud and deceit and that's with people who I know very well - much less those I only know casually through a web site.

I do have one question and hope you have time to answer it - will C to C be taken down again for this auction as it was for the previous GUU auction?

All the best -

Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    Saints -

As of this writing, josportsco is still a member in good standing (I just searched the member list and he does NOT have a banned or suspended tag under his name) and has not been banned from this site while others have been banned immediately for way less serious offenses against the hobby - and this site - than this.

I agree with your statements that his affiliation with GUU (specials, etc) and how GUU handles that affiliation will definately temper how big of a black eye this is to this site - not just the hobby.

All the best -

Smitty
    Smitty...perhaps you & Chris were posting at the same time but if you read Chris's post, you will note that JO is now a banned member of this community...(BTW, I applaud Chris for taking this action).

Bill

Smitty, Mr. Cavalier posted possibly while you were doing your writeup. My only criticism of Mr. Cavalier's response is his mention of timing as to Team deals. At this point, does it really matter?

While timing may give further clarity, it is just merely a sad footnote to an epitaph. Once a cheater, tread lightly on any JO product regardless of timeframe. As I said, nothing short of a conclusive photomatch will do.

Here are some important questions.
    These plea deals state hundreds of jerseys were sold to card companies or consigned to auction houses.

Which card companies bought the forged jerseys?
    How many bad jersey cards are now in circulation?
    Here's a video showing how Panini cuts up jerseys for their cards. Are we talking hundreds of bad cards per jersey? (BTW- I'm not questioning the authenticity of the jersey in the video- just using it to demonstrate the process)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylN_RkIkfAA

Which auction houses sold the bad jerseys?
    Were any of the auction houses aware of the plot to deceive buyers?
    Will the buyers be notified they have bad jerseys?
    Will the consumers who were deceived get any restitution?

When will the card companies make a statement?
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisCavalier View Post
    Hello Matt,

In addition, 8D will be contacting the teams currently having deals with JO Sports. If there is any question that the items from JO's team deals are in question, we will remove them from the 8D Auction. Personally, I suspect the items from the team deals are not in question. However, 8D will remove them from the auction if there is any question whatsoever after discussing this matters with the teams.
    Chris,

I'm curious if you discussed contacting the teams directly for confirmation with Jarrod or anyone at JO?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by kellsox View Post
    Also, I wonder what NFL teams will do when learning of the guilty plea....

It seems that the Giants have either suspended or terminated their contract with JO. JO has not received any new Giants items in weeks, they used to have a link on the Giants website, no more, and they used to have a Giants Game Used fanpage on facebook, which is no longer there.

Also, I sent an email to JO asking when they expect more Giants items, and no response.
    Chris

NY Giants, NY Yankees, Don Mattingly, Mattingly brand bats (any player)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    donnie23fan at yahoo.com

Hi Eric

Those questions will be thoroughly examined during the Probation Officer's investigation prior to sentencing, as the Probation Officer not only has to make a recommendation to the Court regarding incarceration (preliminarily set in this case at approximately 33 to 41 months or so based on the plea agreement,) but also has to make a fact-based recommendation to the Court as to restitution to victims:

"(D) when the law provides for restitution, information sufficient for a restitution order."

It will be interesting to see who is determined to have status in the computation of restitution recommendation, as it appears that the amount on the table is "in excess of $400,000.00 with 10 or more victims."

Here is the info that will be included in the Probation Officer's Presentence Investigation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presentence_investigation_report

Mike