Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What is with ESM and ASI's "2 day sales"

Quote Originally Posted by Yankwood View Post
    And you are also playing "Russian roulette" with items from Steiner.

Case 1: "Won" a game used Chuck Knoblauch bat in an auction thru Steiner website. When I received the bat it was an all black Louisville model number escapes me but NOT a T141 which Knobby almost always used in games. Instead this model had the number 47 on the knob. I got it for what I considered a good price so I didn't bother to return it but I really didn't need a Shane Spencer bat. I kept it anyway.

Case 2: "Won" a game used Jim Leyritz bat again thru Steiner website. Seems OK but I wondered why "BELL" is written in silver on the knob. Who the hell is BELL anyway? Maybe it was Leyritz, maybe not. I'm not sure. But I do have one that I know was Leyritz because I got it the old fashioned "back door" way. Please, no jokes.

Case 3: I received a mailing this week from Steiner which stated that a Mattingly game used jersey was being offered with no reserve. The kicker is that the tagging and uniform itself is incomplete but it must have been his because it was from '95. It was also a sine 48. I'm not an expert on Mattingly jerseys so I probably should not assume that he is not a 48. Now it looks as though it's just being offered as a jersey with number 23 on it. I'm glad that it was changed but how many have NOT been. No accusations here, probably through oversite.

Case 4: Obtained a Luis Sojo bat the same way again. This time, the handle taping and amount of tar lead me to believe this was used by Jorge Posada. My gain, but once again not what it was supposed to have been.

George is making the point, which we all know by now, that just because somebody's name is on an item, and certified by Steiner, does not mean anything.

I have gotten good service from Steiner so this is not a camplaint as I'm sure they would have rectified the situation. I'm just pointing out some examples which back my friend George.
    Thanks Yankwood, 7 more guy's and we can field a team!! I got 1st base!

Quote Originally Posted by JETEFAN View Post
    Thanks Yankwood, 7 more guy's and we can field a team!! I got 1st base!
    When on the subject of current players game used jerseys, you are playing "russian roulette", and I stand by that statement.

Yankwood is correct with the older stuff, tagging removed items, and some of their bats. You have to do your homework, but Steiner has shown where errors were made to take care of the problem.

I think we could field a team of 100 here that would agree with me on the subject as I clearly referred to as current players Yankees game used jerseys you are dealing with statistical probability versus legitimate game used current players on George's "back door" deal.

Andrew

damn jake, this thread sure got jacked , I think they are trying to generate some much needed hype . I will not buy from either ASI or ESM . I wouldn't buy from them whether 2 day or 100 day sale .....

A funny thing with ESM/ASI is back in Feb. 2003 I offered ASI $700 for a Kenyatta Walker game used Bucs jersye from the NFC title game. They wrote back and told me that price was an insult, and they were about to accept and offer for $1500.

The next thing I knew, in about 2-3 weeks THAT very jersey was on ebay and I ended up winning it for $378. It is nice becuase I do have a photo match of it and I still have it today. But every time I see the jersey I thinkof that story....