Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Resale Values of Certified GU Items Have Officially Collapsed

Quote Originally Posted by paul457 View Post
    IMHO, buying the new and hot items of the day, whatever they may be, will rarely result in more dollars down the road. You have to collect what you like, vs. being concerned about future value. GU stuff is getting a lot of attention lately, so this stuff is only going to become more plentiful.

Interest (in everything) just fades over the years - look at Joe Montana goods 20 years ago vs today, and compare against values 10 years from now. Sure there are some exeptional items of his that may command more than they did 20 years ago, but that's the exception, not the rule. Now it's Tom Brady - that GU Brady jersey that sold for $40k a couple of years ago? Good luck selling that jersey and getting 1/4 of that in 20 years.

I buy stuff I enjoy, with the assumption that I'm going to take a bath if I ever sell any of it.
    Paul457-I have to disagree on your assessment of Montana prices. What are basing your assessment on? The last authentic Montana shirt to sell with legitimate documentation was his KC Chiefs shirt worn vs Steve Young in 1994. It sold for over 15K without the buyers premium.

Prior to that sale I cannot remember that last time a legit Montana 49er or KC game worn jersey was sold publicly. Sure many have sold via the various auctions houses but I have not been comfortable with purchasing a single one.

I am sure that there has been a handful of private sales of perfectly legit Montana shirts with team letters but when was the last time you saw on for sale anywhere?

I currently own 4 Joe Montana 49er game worn jerseys, all with team letters and photo matches. I paid around 15K for each of them except for one which was considerably cheaper. The cheaper jersey was the exception not the rule though.

I have been collecting 49er game worn jerseys since the early 90s and think that Montana items are harder to find now than 20 years ago. In 1988-1993 the team sold Montana shirts on a regular basis and now 99% are locked up in collections and rarely change hands. Prices were much lower in the early 90s but rose to almost 20K per jersey some years after that. Prices may have come down some over the last few years but not all that much.

Montana shirts will always command a premium as there are so few of his early jerseys available (1979-1984), a handful of his mid 80s shirts around and maybe 30 of his 1988-1990 gamers out there.

Compared to Brady it is a no-brainer as to which jersey is more valuable-MONTANA. He won 4 SBs and had an 18-1 season in 1984 and won the game that counted by demolishing a Dolphins team led by Marino. The 49ers lost one game vs the Steelers by three points, on a bad call and a missed field goal otherwise would have had a perfect season.

Brady is obviously a HOF player and his jerseys will always command a premium. Both players shirts should maintain their value although as the Patriots release more and more Brady gamers, prices may go down.

Always buying 49er game worn items and paying a finders fee.
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by solarlottry View Post
    Paul457-I have to disagree on your assessment of Montana prices. What are basing your assessment on? The last authentic Montana shirt to sell with legitimate documentation was his KC Chiefs shirt worn vs Steve Young in 1994. It sold for over 15K without the buyers premium.
    I'll tell ya though, what really surprised me about the last Goldin Auction was how little the one-of-a-kind Montana items sold for -- and they came directly from Joe himself. His flak jackets selling for only $619 and $550? His knee brace for only $552? Maybe most collectors don't care about the oddball stuff, and maybe these things don't display well... Personally, I think these items are unique and the flak jackets in particular were way undervalued.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    I'll tell ya though, what really surprised me about the last Goldin Auction was how little the one-of-a-kind Montana items sold for -- and they came directly from Joe himself. His flak jackets selling for only $619 and $550? His knee brace for only $552? Maybe most collectors don't care about the oddball stuff, and maybe these things don't display well... Personally, I think these items are unique and the flak jackets in particular were way undervalued.
    I thought that the prices for the Montana items were quite good. I won the KC Montana practice shirt which was over 1300$, which I consider a great price for a practice shirt (a Chiefs one at that!). The flak jackets and knee brace all selling for around 600$ seems about right to me as they are really eclectic items for a focused collector.

I agree that the items are unique but the old law of supply and demand rears it head once again. The items may have brought higher prices if they had been sold in separate auctions. Overall I think all the prices were good and am really looking forward to the next Goldin Auction!!!

Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by solarlottry View Post
    I thought that the prices for the Montana items were quite good. I won the KC Montana practice shirt which was over 1300$, which I consider a great price for a practice shirt (a Chiefs one at that!). The flak jackets and knee brace all selling for around 600$ seems about right to me as they are really eclectic items for a focused collector.

I agree that the items are unique but the old law of supply and demand rears it head once again. The items may have brought higher prices if they had been sold in separate auctions. Overall I think all the prices were good and am really looking forward to the next Goldin Auction!!!

Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com
    I was interested in the practice jersey but was quickly priced out of it. The other items were very.... unique. Kind of weird things to have in your collection. I also didn't really like how they were all signed - the size, placement and wording detracted from the appeal to me.

The key to the hobby world is to treat it for what it is, a hobby. When you start buying collectibles as investments, 9 out of 10 times you will probably be disappointed...

i'm ok with resale prices dropping as i am buying for my collection and not to resale

Quote Originally Posted by gatordeve View Post
    i'm ok with resale prices dropping as i am buying for my collection and not to resale
    Exactly...

I hope prices keep dropping as well.

I've probably said this before, but the issue is one of oversaturation. I can speak to the situation in Seattle with the Mariners. Top prospects are traded or developed here, their bats are going for $300 to $500; I'm referring to guys like Jesus Montero and Dustin Ackley. The M's authenticate tons of game used jerseys, often with little use and not worn for more than a few games. Some of Montero and Ackley's jerseys are going for in the ballpark of $2,000.

However, as as is the case with many prospects, they cannot sustain their production. Ackley has tailed off significantly, as has Montero, and pretty soon, the bats are only selling for $175. The jerseys don't garner what they used to at auction. And collectors hesitate to buy what used to disappear out of the Team Store and the Game Used Kiosk. A similar situation has happened with Justin Smoak. You used to have to act quickly to get one of his bats. Not anymore.

Some of us are left with stuff that we can't even sell at face value, much less at a profit. Even if the shirts aren't worth much, we still might get pleasure from looking at jerseys with considerable use. The only problem is that these shirts are often crisp, only having been worn for a few contests. The end result is that they are lacking in both aesthetic and monetary value. Thankfully, I have a couple of Smoak jerseys with a ton of use that I can enjoy even though he's hitting at the Mendoza Line.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MLB~NUT View Post
    Exactly...
    I think you guys are missing part of the point... even if you're buying to keep, should there be a time when you need to sell to pay off something, you're almost certain to not even get close to what you paid for your item(s).