Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Game Used Collecting Makes The Tabloids in Dispute over Kobe Bryant Items

From the article I read it sounds like A) he didn't give her the items B) she didn't demand he retrieve the items C) she didn't tell him she was going to get rid of the items

I'm just saying if it was me I would be pissed and expect to get everything back.
    I think this happened to Michael Jackson before he died. And he successfully sued Juliens to stop the auction if I recall correctly

Quote Originally Posted by Takuleechch View Post
    If that wallet had at least 1.5 million in it I would like to think I could still claim it

Maybe - maybe not, from a legal point of view. The restaurant is not a bank. You have to make every effort to claim your wallet as soon as possible. You can't wait 15 years. If you're a tenant and you leave furniture in the unit, and a car in the driveway the landlord can usually sell off those items if unclaimed in 90-180 days depending on where you live. Same goes with storage units. Even the government has a statute of limitations. You have 4 years to claim a tax refund. After that, it belongs to the government. You "abandoned" your money. It seems that Kobe didn't take any reasonable measures to secure his property. Can he prove he asked mom to store them? Who paid the storage fees? Those are the questions the judge will ask. As an aside, the rings seem like gifts to his parents since they were customized for them. I don't think Kobe has any claim to them.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plinvestments View Post
    Maybe - maybe not, from a legal point of view. The restaurant is not a bank. You have to make every effort to claim your wallet as soon as possible. You can't wait 15 years. If you're a tenant and you leave furniture in the unit, and a car in the driveway the landlord can usually sell off those items if unclaimed in 90-180 days depending on where you live. Same goes with storage units. Even the government has a statute of limitations. You have 4 years to claim a tax refund. After that, it belongs to the government. You "abandoned" your money. It seems that Kobe didn't take any reasonable measures to secure his property. Can he prove he asked mom to store them? Who paid the storage fees? Those are the questions the judge will ask. As an aside, the rings seem like gifts to his parents since they were customized for them. I don't think Kobe has any claim to them.
    Haha I love how you took it as 100% literal and not as an attempt to give an example. You could also point out that maybe after 5 years the restaurant may have been sold or even gone into liquidation. Then what are they supposed to do with all lost and find items? And why isn't there any I.d. In the wallet? Or what if there is a tornado that rips through and destroys the restaurant and the wallet is lost?

Haha seriously

Quote Originally Posted by Takuleechch View Post
    Haha I love how you took it as 100% literal and not as an attempt to give an example. You could also point out that maybe after 5 years the restaurant may have been sold or even gone into liquidation. Then what are they supposed to do with all lost and find items? And why isn't there any I.d. In the wallet? Or what if there is a tornado that rips through and destroys the restaurant and the wallet is lost?

Haha seriously
    Of course, the restaurant needs to make an effort to return the wallet. But none of this applies in this case since Kobe knew where his stuff was. He needs to go get it, it's not on his mom to return it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by plinvestments View Post
    Of course, the restaurant needs to make an effort to return the wallet. But none of this applies in this case since Kobe knew where his stuff was. He needs to go get it, it's not on his mom to return it.
    Hahahaha can you drop the restaurant? It was just an example!

Very interested in the outcome of this story

It sucks for both parties but there's definitely a story behind the story....

This could be the start of a flood of lawsuits from people over the cards/comics their Mother threw away.

This is not a case of a restaurant or a tenant or a landlord. His MOTHER realized she could sell her son's treasured memorabilia for quick, large cash and she did it. I guess I'm just lucky enough to have a mother who has a moral compass and not an "I deserve things I didn't earn" attitude.

To me, she stole her son's stuff to buy herself something. The more that comes out on this, the less it looks like she had any right to do this. As a mother, she should be ashamed.
    Bieksallent! My Player Collections:

http://sami-salo.webs.com

Looks like the mom said he didn't give her permission..

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...ion-sell-stuff

Quote Originally Posted by gingi79 View Post
    This is not a case of a restaurant or a tenant or a landlord. His MOTHER realized she could sell her son's treasured memorabilia for quick, large cash and she did it. I guess I'm just lucky enough to have a mother who has a moral compass and not an "I deserve things I didn't earn" attitude.

To me, she stole her son's stuff to buy herself something. The more that comes out on this, the less it looks like she had any right to do this. As a mother, she should be ashamed.
    I agree. My mom held onto all my old hotwheels, star wars, gi joe, transformers, he-man, etc. stuff. When I got a house of my own she asked me if I wanted it. That to me is normal behavior between a parent and child.