Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Grey flannel auctions! What is up?!

I realize this won't make me popular, but I can only say that I've picked up several Hall-of-Fame quality basketball items from Grey Flannel over the years. I guess the language they use in their auction lots doesn't bother me because I've never been one to rely on someone else's opinion about the authenticity of an item in the first place. If you choose to rely on another's opinion as the basis of your collecting, then you are taking your chances, regardless of the auction and what language is used.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

I think we're being a bit judgmental against grey flannel. They sell over 1100 items and don't forget make a very nice catalog and must promote the auction. If they took out hours to photo match every item they would have half the inventory and as collectors be upset because of lack of items to buy. Plus they do sell items photo matched I bought a darren McFadden jersey all beat up and still included a photo match with my purchase. And to name a few currently listed with photo matches is a Shawn Merriman uniform and Curtis grandersons first ever used yankee jersey.
    We do spend a lot on this hobby believe me I know but part of the thrill of buying an item is to do the research and find that photo match

Quote Originally Posted by ctguy212003 View Post
    I think we're being a bit judgmental against grey flannel. They sell over 1100 items and don't forget make a very nice catalog and must promote the auction. If they took out hours to photo match every item they would have half the inventory and as collectors be upset because of lack of items to buy. Plus they do sell items photo matched I bought a darren McFadden jersey all beat up and still included a photo match with my purchase. And to name a few currently listed with photo matches is a Shawn Merriman uniform and Curtis grandersons first ever used yankee jersey.
    We do spend a lot on this hobby believe me I know but part of the thrill of buying an item is to do the research and find that photo match
    I agree. It has appeared to me that Grey Flannel values photomatching as an authentication tool more than most auction houses. It should also be noted that numerous real/authentic items simply can't be photomatched due to obvious factors such as the number and quality of photographs/images available. Vintage collectors know this reality all too well, but it is also the case that many real modern items simply can't be photomatched. The fact that an item has not been photomatched does not by itself mean that it is inauthentic. I realize the OP is new to collecting, so I hope these points will prove useful to him as he gains experience and makes collecting decisions.
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    I agree. It has appeared to me that Grey Flannel values photomatching as an authentication tool more than most auction houses. It should also be noted that numerous real/authentic items simply can't be photomatched due to obvious factors such as the number and quality of photographs/images available. Vintage collectors know this reality all too well, but it is also the case that many real modern items simply can't be photomatched. The fact that an item has not been photomatched does not by itself mean that it is inauthentic. I realize the OP is new to collecting, so I hope these points will prove useful to him as he gains experience and makes collecting decisions.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    . . . It should also be noted that numerous real/authentic items simply can't be photomatched due to obvious factors such as the number and quality of photographs/images available. Vintage collectors know this reality all too well, but it is also the case that many real modern items simply can't be photomatched. The fact that an item has not been photomatched does not by itself mean that it is inauthentic. I realize the OP is new to collecting, so I hope these points will prove useful to him as he gains experience and makes collecting decisions.
    +1

Two excellent posts in this thread by Sportscentury.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Banned

Well said by Sportscentury.

You can't find a "story" for every game worn/used item out there. It is in GF's best interest to photo match as many items as possible, which I am sure they make an effort to do. At the same time, is it worth paying someone a salary to spend hours trying to photo match a jersey which will only increase it's value x%? Their money is better spent having that employee do something else with their time, like trying to find more consignors or spending time trying to photo match the high end items. It just doesn't make sense, from a business stand point, to pay someone to spend hours trying to photo match common items.

Banned

I see they're selling another phony Dallas Cowboy jersey from the early 1960s.

Banned

I have had mixed dealings with Grey Flannel items.

1) I bought my Shaq jersey from ebay with GFA LOA. I can't photomatch it, but I'm pretty convinced by it, especially with the amount of sweat staining on it!

2) I bid on a Rondo jersey from their auction once but after doing a bit more research (I was new to the hobby and photomatching) I determined that the logo on the back was not in the same place as in the game, so it couldn't be that jersey (thus, the LOA was wrong and it could be fake) so I informed them about it. I am subsequently banned from their auctions.

3) The Garnett recently in SCP auctions came with a Grey Flannel LOA - and I photomatched that item and believe it was 100% real.

I've browsed their upcoming auctions and because of all the vague statements and complete lack of any kind of proof, I wouldn't be confident buying any of the basketball jerseys. They could all be real, but there doesn't seem much behind them to suggest that they are other than an opinion of some use.

Just throwing it out there

I, along with many others have been banned by Grey Flannel simply for being associated with this forum.

Over the years I purchased many items from them that I was comfortable bidding on and I actually gave them proof that some of the items may not have been as advertised. Guess they didn't appreciate that.

Eric
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Everyone who is logged in can be looked up in the link above marked Hobby Network on the top of each page. You click on this link and look up a user id and their name shows up:
    Thanks Joel, I had no idea that information was that readily available.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Just throwing it out there

I, along with many others have been banned by Grey Flannel simply for being associated with this forum.

Over the years I purchased many items from them that I was comfortable bidding on and I actually gave them proof that some of the items may not have been as advertised. Guess they didn't appreciate that.

Eric
    I find this to be an incredibly strange business practice. This forum has what I believe to be the most informed, passionate and judging by some of the collections that get posted on here biggest spenders in the hobby. So a business would actually go out of their way to make sure these hobbyists could never become a customer of theirs because they are deemed a threat or worse yet overly informed!? I understand there is probably more to some of the stories as to why someone is not allowed to bid with GFA but if a post here can get you banned there.... I find that bewildering.