Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Greed in this hobby

good point Astros 5.7. while I don't care for the greed of some people the fraudulent ones are the worst of the worst. All I ask for is to get what I pay for. Those people are ruining a great hobby

Quote Originally Posted by woodward30 View Post
    An example of a dealer finding an opportunity and flipping for a huge profit. Say what you want about jerseys4thewin, but I would have done the same thing as he did, but I was like 30 minutes too late to the original auction. jerseys4thewin beat me to it.

Original seller didn't fully know the value of the item and offered this 1970 Phillies game used flannel for $70 Buy It Now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Authentic-vi...p2047675.l2557

jerseys4thewin sold it for $1275 (over a 1800% return).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GAME-USED-WO...p2047675.l2557

Just someone taking advantage of an opportunity. Nothing greedy about it.

Man that was a great steal.

I collect what I enjoy. Even if it is a common and I want it for my collection, I may pay a price that another may see as outrageous. I rarely sell anything but I do trade with other collectors. The price I pay is what I can afford or in some cases how bad I want it. That is my choice. I once made an offer on a common player jersey. I was turned down and given a counter offer which I thought was too high. After several months the jersey still hasn't sold and he is now asking less than what I offered. I've since moved on to other purchases and it is still on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    So everybody who has money works hard for it? Last time I checked, plenty of people end up wealthy through inheritance. A lot of our financial state is due to pure luck, plain and simple...
    That is why I mentioned only those who work hard for their money. Please feel free to jump all over those who "lucked" into it...

There certainly are a lot of dealers (and wannabe dealers) out there buying (or sniping) ebay items only to relist them a week or so later at bloated prices. I've had this happen to me a few times too. I don't consider this wrong as it free enterprise. Sure I would have loved to have that bat for $400 in my collection but instead see it listed on ebay for $2400 or best offer for the last year with no bites. Sometimes sniping pays but not all the time for the dealer. Is it annoying yes but it's the playing field we play on.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

"I spoke to someone today at Citi Field that works Security there and they told me that for the Three Day's for the All Star Events
    (Sun.Futures Game, Mon. Home Run Durby & Tues. All Star Game)
    Parking will be 35.00 per Car
    I'm told it's 20.00 a Car now"

I just got this in an email from a fellow Met fan.

This is the type of greed that is wrong in our hobby too.
    metsbats86@aol.com

Always looking for 1973,1986,1988,1999,2000,2006 game used Mets post season and Bobby M. Jones and Ed Hearn NY Mets game used bats.

Any time you do business with someone known to sell forged merchandise, you are perpetuating their business and fraudulent activities. So instead of criticizing those who flip items, which is perfectly legal, how about taking a real stand and not doing business with known thieves.
    Amen

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    So everybody who has money works hard for it? Last time I checked, plenty of people end up wealthy through inheritance. A lot of our financial state is due to pure luck, plain and simple.

Also, I find it disgusting the way people have jumped all over the OP. It's his opinion, and he has a right to it. Without being accused of being an Occupier. He simply shared his thoughts.
    Jumped all over the OP? We don't have opinions to share?

As for wealthy inheriting their money, I've attached an interesting article. All the folks I know who have a few bucks earn it - they work 16 hour days, miss graduations, Little League and soccer games and some go to bed at 8:00 at night because they have to go to work at 04:00 hours. Others spend half their lives on an airplane away from their families.

Luck? Luck are the folks who stay home and whine that they aren't getting their fair share.

Just a couple of opinions

http://www.cato.org/publications/com...real-1-percent

I snipe as much as possible on ebay. It doesn't make sense to me putting in an early bid when you don't have to. It's done all within the rules of the game and when I do, I place an up to bid which is what I think it is worth to me and what I can afford. If somebody bids higher, I can't do anything about that and I just move on. Sometimes it ends up as a blessing in disguise and I run across something that I really want and wouldn't be able to buy if I had won the previous item.

"Cohibasmoker" great article that you posted. It really puts things into a different perspective and one that needs to be heard.

I think there are multiple issues at play in this post. The OP commented about "JTnbafan" as well as individuals who flip items for profit. Personally I wish I had the $$$ that "JTnbafan" has and was able to add to my collection at will. There are times when I become frustrated that there is someone else out there with more means to add to their collections than myself. That is life though and we have no control over what other collectors do and how they spend their money. Obviously JT wanted to add the Chalmers to his collection as did another collector as they both bid the shirt up to 6000$. Whatever their reasons were, they had every right to bid whatever they wished as the shirt was sold via NBAAuctions. Just because another fan/collector really wanted it does not mean that they are entitled to it. That's why it was sold at auction.

There have been many items I have missed out on because someone bid more. That is the way it goes. If I absolutely had to have the item I should have bid higher. There have been multiple instances where I have greatly overpaid for a 49er gamer because it fit into my collection nicely. I was not thrilled to overpay but once the shirt arrived, it's cost became irrelevant. Many of the items I have overpaid for are critical pieces of my collection and if someone offered what I paid I would not sell.

As for the flippers they are an inherent part of any collectable hobby. I am always on the lookout for quality items that I might sell but 99% of the time I keep what I buy. I think that if any of us saw a bargain and knew they could resist it and make a hefty profit, we would.

The winner of the Goldin Auctions Joe Montana KC shirt is a good example of this. The winner thought that the Grey Flannel hammer price was a bargain and now the shirt is listed on eBay for 35K! If it does not sell they could potentially lose serious cash. Risk goes with the territory.

No one likes to lose out on items that we would love to add to our collections but losing out from time to time is a fact of life (maybe not for JTnbafan!). It just makes the good score that much sweeter.

Always buying 49er game worn jerseys
    Paul
    garciajones@yahoo.com