Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Loving The Collection that you Have

I just wanted to make a post about my Collection. I know it isn't as big or as great as everybody's and I always wish I could add certain things but I love what I have. I am 27 years old and I live in California but I grew up watching the Braves on TBS every night with my mom. My sports hero is Chipper Jones and I love the Braves. My prized possesions are my Chipper items which include 2 bats one black and blonde (each side of the plate) A game used third base from Dodger stadium which he played in that game farewell season batting glove and a batting practice/ spring training jersey which I bought because I couldn't afford one form a regular season game but I love it all the same because he wore it. I also have 4 different lineup cards from 4 braves dodger games I attended including the last two games Chipper ever played at Dodger stadium.
    I also have an Andruw Jones game used bat and because I wanted something from Glavine and Smoltz but am on a limited budget I got some Pitching charts they filled out that I won form Leo Mazzone collection through celebz direct. Also have some Frenchy items because he is my second favorite player off all time behind Chipper.

I wish I had more but the truth is I love everything I have and if I never got another thing it would be fine because trust me I never as a little kid ever thought I would have a bat in my possession that chipper swung in a baseball game. It blows my mind just looking at it in my room.

This is just an amazing hobby filled with awesome stories about why people collect what they do such as Toddhead and why he collects Garin Cecchini items. Those are the really cool stories. Also getting to go on the pickup of the month thread to see what other people got and hear why they chose to spend their hard earned money on that item is awesome.

To even have just one item I think is awesome and I don't worry about what I don't have or want and what I can afford or what other people can spend on certain items because at the end of the day you can either have a collection of items you love or you can have a collection that you always see missing pieces because someone else got it instead of you. I choose to gave a collection I love

Re: Loving The Collection that you Have

That's awesome! Im actually 24 and though Ive been "collecting" for about 10 years, i just recently started getting some better stuff since i have an "adult job" and can afford more stuff. I collect mainly basketball and football and though i have favorite players right now I'm just trying get jerseys i think are cool , or show lots of wear. I figure through time i will start collecting a certain player or team and become more of a speciality collector. One jersey i do want though is a Lebron James game jersey, i just know that will take time since those are priced between 5-10k on average with a legit COA. Hopefully i can work up to that because he's been my favorite player since i was 15. That's awesome you were able to get a bat from your favorite player though! If you have pics share them, i need to put some of my pics up some time.

I sort of do wonder how many collectors here are 30 and younger and whats in their collections. I recently only started collecting game used but sort of have an addiction now (I'm 25).

I started collecting back in February of this year and do love my current collection which is mostly 2012 SF Giants bats. Currently have 13 bats, 2 Venezuela Jersey (Blanco), and one mitt (Sandoval). Trying to collect everyone who was ever on the roster in 2012, but it seems a bit difficult to get all of them so may be resorting back to 2013 bats as well. Still not 100% set on whether this is acceptable though... blah

Quote Originally Posted by bravesfanjd View Post
    I just wanted to make a post about my Collection. I know it isn't as big or as great as everybody's and I always wish I could add certain things but I love what I have. I am 27 years old and I live in California but I grew up watching the Braves on TBS every night with my mom. My sports hero is Chipper Jones and I love the Braves. My prized possesions are my Chipper items which include 2 bats one black and blonde (each side of the plate) A game used third base from Dodger stadium which he played in that game farewell season batting glove and a batting practice/ spring training jersey which I bought because I couldn't afford one form a regular season game but I love it all the same because he wore it. I also have 4 different lineup cards from 4 braves dodger games I attended including the last two games Chipper ever played at Dodger stadium.
    I also have an Andruw Jones game used bat and because I wanted something from Glavine and Smoltz but am on a limited budget I got some Pitching charts they filled out that I won form Leo Mazzone collection through celebz direct. Also have some Frenchy items because he is my second favorite player off all time behind Chipper.

I wish I had more but the truth is I love everything I have and if I never got another thing it would be fine because trust me I never as a little kid ever thought I would have a bat in my possession that chipper swung in a baseball game. It blows my mind just looking at it in my room.

This is just an amazing hobby filled with awesome stories about why people collect what they do such as Toddhead and why he collects Garin Cecchini items. Those are the really cool stories. Also getting to go on the pickup of the month thread to see what other people got and hear why they chose to spend their hard earned money on that item is awesome.

To even have just one item I think is awesome and I don't worry about what I don't have or want and what I can afford or what other people can spend on certain items because at the end of the day you can either have a collection of items you love or you can have a collection that you always see missing pieces because someone else got it instead of you. I choose to gave a collection I love
    Couldn't agree with you more, I'm 27 and have been collecting for a few years (I have a thread on here about my Evan Longoria collection), I'm far from wealthy and have to work hard for every item I obtain but I love each piece of my collection. I also really enjoy signing into GUU everyday and hearing stories about people snagging items that they truly cherish

Be happy and appreciate what you have. I've been collecting for about 15 years now, but took a few years off from going to the ball parks. I currently go from time to time just to try and get some of the players I really need. The fun and unique thing about going to a game and getting signatures is being able to tell the story of how you got an item signed and meeting the player. I also got bats during my younger days....I have 2 given to my by David Ortiz from his twins days. Don't get me wrong, I do buy sigs but mainly from legends like Aaron and Mays, due to their outrageous prices at shows.

The neat thing about my collection is that I have a sheet where I track each sig I obtained in person...who, what, when, and where. I wouldn't trade anything in my collection.

Banned

I just turned 31 in May. I still have the old SCD clippings saved from when I was 11 yrs old. I would save my allowance and have my mom phone into the auctions to place bids for me while she was at work. The Molitor and one of my Gwynns on my website are bats I won back then. For some reason, while all my friends were spending money on toys and video games, I was saving money for bats. Over the years I have sold and traded my way up to a collection I'm proud to display today. Strange to think that I have been actively collecting for 20 years now at my age.

Great post. There can be a lot of jealousy and hard feelings in this hobby. I think a lot of it stems from people not having the financial resources to purchase everything they want. I'm relatively young (31), but have been collecting for over 20 years. I would love to spend all my disposable income on memorabilia, but that is just not practical.

A few years back I determined I need to focus my collection and liquidate the excess. This was the best decision I could make. I would certainly like to play with the big boys and if I ever come into considerable wealth, I would love to build impressive Miguel Cabrera and Justin Verlander collections. Right now, I'm happy focusing on collecting game used bats from All Star Detroit Tigers from the 80s, 90s and present. I'm also very proud of my Carlos Guillen player collection.

My want list includes a Carlos Guillen Tigers Road jersey, as well as, any of his specialty jerseys (Negro Leagues, TBTC, Jackie Robinson Day, etc.). I also realize that I am not the only Carlos Guillen or Tigers collector in the world and I may not be able to own all of those pieces...but the hunt is going to be fun!

I just turned 28 myself and own a few game used items 1 Gary sheffield bat 1 game used cleat 2 pairs of game used batting gloves but I just started the game used stuff like a year ago I always bought game used cards and sports autographs so I own a whole bunch of autos mostly Philadelphia eagles and Gary Sheffield I bought my first bat from a member here and not 1 day goes by where I don't stop and look at it. just to know my favorite player used it and swung it in a MLB game along with the gloves and cleat. I say I started collecting since I was 10 but due to my diabetes budgets been very low but i still love what I have

I'm 29 and I've only been collecting game used for around 4 years. I collected cards forever and just got bored with it. I had a pretty nice collection and I sold off the majority of it so I could buy game used. That's basically the main reason I've been able to acquire most of my collection. Well worth the tradeoff in my opinion!

I'm 29 and I've only been collecting game used for around 4 years. I collected cards forever and just got bored with it. I had a pretty nice collection and I sold off the majority of it so I could buy game used. That's basically the main reason I've been able to acquire most of my collection. Well worth the tradeoff in my opinion!