Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Where is all the classifieds go???

Quote Originally Posted by xpress34 View Post
    GW -

Valid points across the board. My issue with contacting 'Items Wanted' ads is the ones who literally put - "Looking for ANY and ALL items of Player X".

When you respond with what items you have (regardless of price), you get the 'I'm not looking for THAT item' response.

What don't they get about the meaning of the words ANY and ALL???

- Smitty
    True, I guess. The only problem is, I don't think it's realistic to expect a potential buyer to be too specific about what he (or she) wants or can afford, necessarily, and that can lead to misunderstandings. Particularly with younger collectors or those of limited means. I may post that I'm looking for "any and all", because I really do want to know what's out there and available, but what I'm really looking to buy are the lower-end items, plus I'm not really disposed toward buying duplicates of things I already own; but I'm probably going to feel funny about posting something like, "Looking for all items of Player A priced less than a hundred dollars, and I already have X, Y an Z." I guess a person could do that, but it might be slightly embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by otismalibu View Post
    If you're using CL (through the mail) or message boards to buy and sell, it's pretty much the wild west.

People bad mouth eBay, but there is at least a hint of accountability there.
    Exactly. I'd rather potentially take a few bucks less for an item and have a good chance of getting paid through eBay than do a dance for a week with a potential buyer from the board and have them back out of an agreement( which happens all to regularly here).

Quote Originally Posted by short84 View Post
    The classifieds no longer leave me with a warm and fuzzy feeling as a buyer. Last month, I negotiated a deal with a seller in writing (emails are a written contract). I stated I wanted to purchase their item and after a couple of emails the price was agreed upon. When I asked about payment information the seller sent me his mailing address for a snail mail payment which I mailed the next day. I sent the seller a message indicating payment was in the mail. Two days after my last message to the seller, I receive a message informing me the item was sold to someone else instead -- this is after almost 2 days of no communication from the seller after notification from me concerning payment. I will be honest - I was mad as hell because it was an item I had purchased as a gift for a family member.

I purchased an item last week from a forum member. We communicated several times and I felt comfortable buying from this member. I sent a paypal payment on Wednesday and still have not received any shipping information or tracking number even though this is what the seller sent to me in an email last Monday " i will get it in the mail and a tracking number right to you by weds afternoon ." I have received no communication from this seller since Thursday when he again agreed to sending me a tracking number even though I have made numerous requests to him for this information.

I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but I can honestly say I am tired of being jerked around by other forum members. I would rather buy an item on eBay where I have buyer protection and once you commit to buy an item it is yours -- you can pay for it immediately and the seller is obligated to complete the transaction.

It is still enjoyable to see what others have available but unless I personally know the person I will no longer buy items through this venue. Thanks for letting me vent!
    Short -

I agree with you completely - except for the eBay statement above. A few years ago I won a Lance Berkman GU ASG BP Jersey - paid via PayPal within 10 minutes of the auction ending and within 2 hours had the buyer refund my payment telling me the jersey was no longer available.

When I came here and made a post about it, I got ripped by forum members for being a 'sore loser' and a 'cry baby' among other select terms for bitching about getting screwed on eBay.

So as much as I agree with the sentiments of this entire thread, I also taste a small hint of hypocrisy that none of those same members that lambasted me over a legitimate complaint with an eBay seller haven't made a peep on this topic.

Just my own bitter .02 over a crappy eBay deal. Other than that deal, I agree with you 100%.

- Smitty

This is more a forum designed to educate and enlighten than to conduct business which I think is consistent with what the founders intended it to be.
    There are a boatload of valid points pointing fingers both at potential buyers and sellers. At the end of the day we must remember that its a place where like minded individuals come together to share their opinions and that in the dealing of these, your conduct and character will always come through to others perceptive enough to pick up on it.
    Larry Pelliccioni
    www.theclassicstuff.com

I'd like to know, where are the moderators??? There is a seller on there, CLEARLY violating every rule in that forum, and being disrespectful to other sellers and forum members. Are the moderators too busy to mess with the classifieds? Are the classifieds going to be gone soon? It would be nice if Chris or one of the moderators could chime in on this.

I've had nothing but good experiences on the classified board. Maybe Dolphins fans are just a nicer bunch lol

Okay guys. I just deleted a number of posts that clearly violated the "no personal attacks" rule on the forum. Two things:

1) As discussed before, we created the 'Collector to Collector Classifieds' as a free service to our members. However, it is not something we have a lot of time to moderate, especially given it is a FREE service. In fact, while we will, at times, take action when necessary, we generally aren't watching everything that occurs in that folder. Specifically, part of the user agreement for that section states:

This forum is being offered as a service to our members and we will not be sending warning emails to offenders, etc. Selling on this forum is free and is being offered exclusively at the request of our members. However, buyers need to be aware there are no guarantees to the claims of sellers and you are buying at your on risk....Game Used Universe will not be accountable for any false representations, shipping of incorrect items, etc.

Again, we will at times take action when necessary and warranted. However, we are assuming that the people who use that section will have the decency of following the user agreement found here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=18001

2) As for the posts I deleted in this thread, please note that any continued violations will be met with administrative action. If you have any questions about the forum rules they can be found here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...hread.php?t=99

Thank you in advance for your future compliance.

Sincerely,
    Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

OK. Thanks for the response Chris.