Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: OMG! Just picked up my holy grail John Herrnstein 1963 Phillies game used flannel

Great story Bruce! That's what our hobby is all about! That's cool you're going to display it around town. I bet the thought crossed your mind to give him the jersey but it sounds like you'll enjoy the jersey just as much as he did. Congrats on the great pickup and experience!

Re: OMG! Just picked up my holy grail John Herrnstein 1963 Phillies game used flannel

Awesome story! Thanks for sharing.

-Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Another story John told me. He played in the first game at the Houston Astrodome. Before the game they had a big event honoring the first set of astronauts. He was fascinated since his Father and Grandfather were employed by NASA. He looked around in the dugout and said he was the only one there watching the ceremony. A guy walked in from the other end of the dugout and approached him. They talked about the space program and the guy said,'Where are you from''? John said, ''I'm from Ohio, how bout you''? He replied, ''How ironic, I'm from Ohio too''. He said he was in the second wave of astronauts. The guy went out on the field and hung out for awhile. After the ceremony he came back to John to shake his hand. John got excited and thought he better find out who this stranger was. He wanted to tell his wife the guys name in case he forgot and the guy had a great achievement. He said, ''By the way, what is your name''? The man replied, ''Neil Armstrong''.

Smile Re: OMG! Just picked up my holy grail John Herrnstein 1963 Phillies game used flannel

Awesome stories thanks so much for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Phil316 View Post
    Awesome stories thanks so much for sharing
    You are welcome! John is a very soft spoken person and quite simply one of the nicest people I know. I can't wait to pay tribute to my hometown athletes by displaying my items so all can see.

One little correction on this. The player that took over Herrnstein's #21 was Harvey Kuenn, not Harvey Kuene. Also, in baseball almanac, Kuenn is not listed as playing for the Phillies until 1966. I did buy two programs and the numbers in question are correct. Kuenn is even in the box score of the game in which he hit the home run. Sorry, about the name misspelling.

Thanks for posting your story! A situation of a lifetime that not many get to experience. Congrats!!
    Regards, Tony

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

congrats, great story!

After a bit more research I found that Joel Gibson wore John's old #21 in 1963 before John was recalled. Also, John has the distinction of being on two different Hall of Famers rookie cards. The 1963 Topps card with Willie Sturgell and 1964 Topps card with Dick Allen.

From someone who lives a few miles up north on 23, a really great story!
    Jason Perlman
    jperlman@ohaflcio.org