Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Trout prices are going through the roof......

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Just wait until his career is about over and his stuff, like Trouts, will be half or less what it is now.
    I picked up a Pujols bat last year for 1/4 of what they had been selling for. People always jump to the next big thing and forget that history repeats itself.
    Yep, I'm a big 49ers fan and it makes me question humanity when I see Kaepernick's gear going for more than Jerry Rice, or even Patrick Willis!

Quote Originally Posted by emann View Post
    I agree with this comment. I don't think any team is pumping that many jerseys out per season for anyone yet... Out of any of the teams, the Tigers seem to be flooding the market with items (if I were a Tigers or Cabrerra collector, I'd be upset), but I'd doubt they even get to that number of jerseys per star player.

That said, I do think the prices are nuts for Trout/Puig. It is this weird sports collecting obsession with rookies... Solid HOF-level players aren't as exciting as the potential of an unknown I guess.
    The 100 jerseys a year was off the cuff remark. I just see an incredible escalation of jerseys. The card market did the same thing until $1500 cards fell to $10 five years later. It disturbs me when a Trout game used bat surpasses the value of my Hank Aaron game used bats from the 60s.
    Its like a dynamite fuse ready to blow.
    I think I will buy some popcorn, sit back and watch the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Chess2899 View Post
    The market will collapse. It is inevitable. The marketplace is being flooded... These are no longer investments...
    I agree 100%

Quote Originally Posted by metsbats View Post
    Truly insane prices and risky investments. The only winner here is the team which profits now tremedously.
    I think the teams are well aware of the bubble and taking full advantage of it, just like the banks did until 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    I cannot understand spending HOF type money on a player who has payed 2 years.
    Amen.

I just bought a Miguel Cabrera bat, do you guys think that the prices of his items will go up or down in the long run?

Considering he's a triple crown winner and likely HOFer, I'm optimistic, but seeing as how you're all mentioning the market is being flooded with items, I can't be too sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeKam View Post
    I just bought a Miguel Cabrera bat, do you guys think that the prices of his items will go up or down in the long run?

Considering he's a triple crown winner and likely HOFer, I'm optimistic, but seeing as how you're all mentioning the market is being flooded with items, I can't be too sure.
    If you're talking about the Zinger bat that I told you was likely no good, I really don't think the prices will go much higher than what you paid. There are WAY too many issue with that set of bats with the odd font.

Quote Originally Posted by danesei@yahoo.com View Post
    If you're talking about the Zinger bat that I told you was likely no good, I really don't think the prices will go much higher than what you paid. There are WAY too many issue with that set of bats with the odd font.
    No, it isn't that one.

Just want a general idea of what I can expect from their items and whether they're good investments. I know some of the older stars before this market became so saturated had their items go up in price once they retired/got into the HOF.

No, it isn't that one.

Just want a general idea of what I can expect from their items and whether they're good investments. I know some of the older stars before this market became so saturated had their items go up in price once they retired/got into the HOF.
    No you are paying HOF price. That is what collectors are doing these days. Buying stuff at the height of a HOF players career will be top dollar. Honest Cabrera, Puid, Trout stuff can on go down at this point. It is all just so high. Something BIG would have to happen in their career other than the HOF induction.

No, it isn't that one.

Full disclosure: I sold all my Cabrera game used stuff after the All-Star break last season. I can't see there being much of a market for his items due to economics.

1) Supply-side economics: Cabrera (and most stars these days) have marketing agencies who specifically exist to distribute their game used equipment. The supply increases each season, since players keep playing and creating more gamers. Unless the item is tied to a specific event (300th HR, 1500th RBI, etc) or a rookie item, it's unlikely to gain significantly in value, when adjusted for inflation. Even for stars without their own marketing agency, the teams and the MLB authentication program effectively create a ceiling on what items will be worth, since it never makes sense to buy a non-MLB authenticated gamer for more than MLB is selling the same item.

2) Demand-side economics: Cabrera is Hispanic. Traditionally, Hispanic/Latino players aren't as popular among those who are willing to blow money on game used items. This is visible by looking at the value of Clemente items relative to those of his peer group. Cabrera is special, due to the Triple Crown connection, but the fact that the MLB media and analysts constantly talk about Mike Trout being "once in a generation" talent reflects this bias against Hispanic/Latino players. Similar to how collectors/HOF voters have an East Coast bias (perceived or real), there is a similar bias against Hispanic players. Couple that with his best years coming in the mid-West, and the values of his items probably won't be in great enough demand to be a viable investment.

I was shocked when I saw people asking north of $1000 for Cabrera gamer bats. Once I saw those prices, I sold my cleats, my jersey and my three bats. Why? I bought the items early in his career due to seeing him as a feisty player who could see the ball better than most. I think for all my items, I paid about $1500. I sold everything for about $5000. It simply was not worth "having a part of Miggy's career" for such a high price.

I'm really curious about what the media will do when Trout goes down with another extended injury, though. If the game used memorabilia market were somewhat rational, I'd say start buying Bryce Harper items. Unfortunately, when he started coming up short of expectations, the prices didn't follow suit. Why? Because speculators refuse to believe that they overpaid by 50% (or more) for something, and are willing to "wait it out" to simply not be at a loss.

Now, if you found a legitimate Cabrera signed gamer with true Miggy use characteristics for $400 or so, then, yes, you will likely make your money back. However, if you paid over $700 for a marginal (at best) bat, you're probably going to be holding onto it for a while unless Abreu's injury lasts more than a month. That might be long enough for Miggy to make it back to front-runner for the MVP award for a third consecutive year.

Full disclosure: I sold all my Cabrera game used stuff after the All-Star break last season. I can't see there being much of a market for his items due to economics.

1) Supply-side economics: Cabrera (and most stars these days) have marketing agencies who specifically exist to distribute their game used equipment. The supply increases each season, since players keep playing and creating more gamers. Unless the item is tied to a specific event (300th HR, 1500th RBI, etc) or a rookie item, it's unlikely to gain significantly in value, when adjusted for inflation. Even for stars without their own marketing agency, the teams and the MLB authentication program effectively create a ceiling on what items will be worth, since it never makes sense to buy a non-MLB authenticated gamer for more than MLB is selling the same item.

Cabrera does not have a marketing agency that distributes his gu items. The Tigers Authentics Department controls his hit balls, jerseys & bats. His cleats that have hit the market are from DC sports (exclusive auto agreement) or through Miggy personal connections. The only item of Miggy's that is saturating the market are game used jerseys, however, demand has been there for now so prices remain elevated.

As far as bats go he is one of the absolute toughest to obtain. He rarely is fooled on pitches and doesn't break many bats. So far through 39 games this season Miggy has broken two (2) bats!!! One hit auction this past week and sold for $2,510. The other was given to a fan in Minnesota after the game. In 2013 Miggy only broke 8 bats. That's 10 MLB authenticated bats from the last 201 games. A bat from 2012-2014 that is MLB authenticated will never sell below $1,500 again. Ever!!! If Miggy continues this legendary pace these bats will probably continue to sell for far more than the $1,500 benchmark.

2) Demand-side economics: Cabrera is Hispanic. Traditionally, Hispanic/Latino players aren't as popular among those who are willing to blow money on game used items. This is visible by looking at the value of Clemente items relative to those of his peer group. Cabrera is special, due to the Triple Crown connection, but the fact that the MLB media and analysts constantly talk about Mike Trout being "once in a generation" talent reflects this bias against Hispanic/Latino players. Similar to how collectors/HOF voters have an East Coast bias (perceived or real), there is a similar bias against Hispanic players. Couple that with his best years coming in the mid-West, and the values of his items probably won't be in great enough demand to be a viable investment.

BS BS BS. I give no credence to your Hispanic/Latino claim whatsoever. While Detroit's payroll is up with the big boys the market is more local than national. If Miggy was a Yankee, Dodger, Red Sox than his bats would be selling for $5k each.

Now, if you found a legitimate Cabrera signed gamer with true Miggy use characteristics for $400 or so, then, yes, you will likely make your money back. However, if you paid over $700 for a marginal (at best) bat, you're probably going to be holding onto it for a while unless Abreu's injury lasts more than a month. That might be long enough for Miggy to make it back to front-runner for the MVP award for a third consecutive year.
    Hahahahahahahahaha. Anybody that wants to sell me a Miggy gamer for $700 please contact me immediately. I will buy every mlb authenticated bat you have (Tigers Years).
    Collecting Miguel Cabrera and Detroit Tigers
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Full disclosure: Now, if you found a legitimate Cabrera signed gamer with true Miggy use characteristics for $400 or so, then, yes, you will likely make your money back. However, if you paid over $700 for a marginal (at best) bat, you're probably going to be holding onto it for a while unless Abreu's injury lasts more than a month. That might be long enough for Miggy to make it back to front-runner for the MVP award for a third consecutive year.
    Abreu? MVP? Injury or not his chances at the MVP are very very unlikely. For starters his team needs to make the playoffs and then he needs better stats...mostly concerning average.

Abreu is a great player, but at the end of the season I can't even see him in the conversation. It is all start of the season hype, it will come back down soon enough.