Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: A gorgeous jersey ruined for me at least

Quote Originally Posted by woodward30 View Post
    Your reading comprehension skills need work. Once again, there's a difference between the monetary, market-based value of a historic piece and the collecting utility a collector gains from owning a piece. And if you can't notice the difference between a mass-produced Tommy Bahama shirt and say, a World War II era St. Louis Cardinals flannel (of which maybe only 10 are known to still exist in original form), then I really don't even think it's worth the time to have an intelligent discussion with you.
    My comments were meant in good humor. If you cant tell the difference perhaps you've been spending too much time watching Dr. Phil. Lighten up. Signed game jerseys new and old bring more money than unsigned jerseys all else being equal. Your math skills need some work in the greater than >and less than< category. If someone doesn't want to get their Jersey signed then don't. Who cares! But don't act like you doing the jersey value a favor and clearly don't act like its art. FYI I did not bring up the Hawaiian shirt comment first so perhaps your right we cant have an intelligent conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by slats7 View Post
    not the stuff worn by the players
    Maybe not mass produced per individual player but not rare by any means either.

I was talking about the thousands produced for MLB per year a whole.

Mona Lisa sucked as a player. No wonder she doesn't smile.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Chess2899 View Post
    At the National, I saw a person tape square 2x2 paper sheets on a jersey and asked the players to sign on the paper. That individual had 12 signatures on her 3000 hit jersey, all on paper taped to the jersey. I guess she can have her pure jersey anytime by removing all signed paper stickers. Of course, she paid a lot of money to get the autographs. I found that really wierd.
    That is strange.
    But that is the great thing about America. You can be who you want and collect what you want and drive what you want.
    Enjoy it while it last.

Quote Originally Posted by Chess2899 View Post
    At the National, I saw a person tape square 2x2 paper sheets on a jersey and asked the players to sign on the paper. That individual had 12 signatures on her 3000 hit jersey, all on paper taped to the jersey. I guess she can have her pure jersey anytime by removing all signed paper stickers. Of course, she paid a lot of money to get the autographs. I found that really wierd.
    HUH. Strange. Oh well. As collectors we all have different angles as to what we think makes sense and what we enjoy. I like signed stuff but others that don't no problem. I think its too much to say a signed item is ruined! Ruined would mean to me the majority of the population would think it was now junk, clearly from this conversation link we can tell that is not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by seanbaseball View Post
    So is the hall of fame actually an art museum where art( i.e. non signed jerseys) are displayed? Do people stand around drinking wine while trying to understand the "meaning" of ex. mickey mantles jersey. Its all starting to make sense now.
    Art provokes emotion. I would think looking at a Mantle jersey in the Hall would provoke an emotion. Ergo, it is art. <sips a glass of vintage Franzia>

Quote Originally Posted by beachpetrol View Post
    Art provokes emotion. I would think looking at a Mantle jersey in the Hall would provoke an emotion. Ergo, it is art. <sips a glass of vintage Franzia>
    Don't drink too much or you will wind up like the Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by Roady View Post
    Don't drink too much or you will wind up like the Mick.
    Right. And if you stare at the Mantle jersey long enough, it's like one of those magic eye 3-D art photos, that make the jersey look like a ship or dolphin.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beachpetrol View Post
    and yet collectors frame them .. like a piece of art

Quote Originally Posted by slats7 View Post
    and yet collectors frame them .. like a piece of art
    The autograph is the art.
    The player is the artist.
    The jersey is just the canvas.